Small quantity relearn

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Small quantity relearn

Postby boo-ya on Wed May 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Does anyone know what this is and how it is done . Small quantity relearn. Having some troubles with the dealer and the truck was in today for a look at the inlet manifold which they say they inspected and think is fine, no carbon buildup but you can see it when you take off the inlet hose.
Anyway told them would not be coming back for a service at the dealer and was informed you get a better job because of mitsi technitions (crap) and this small quantity relearn can only be done at mitsi dealers.

They seem to think that $710 for a service is better value than $400 at ultratune, and thats using mitsi parts at ultratune.

Any help would be appreciated as i will be going back to see them tomorrow as they gave my wife a hard time about it all when she was in there this morn. put a lot of pressure on her to keep getting serviced by them.

Cheers boo-ya
boo-ya

Re: Small quantity relearn

Postby Buzzy on Wed May 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Sounds like alot of BS to me boo-ya :?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby boo-ya on Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeh been doing some searching on google but nothing anywhere near it. Certainly feels like theyve given us a bit of a bum steer
boo-ya

Postby subi_man on Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 pm

I dare say every time an upgraded ECU flash is released, it's get installed whenever a Triton comes in for a service - if you get it serviced elsewhere, they are hinting you will miss these flash/relearns - but no-one really knows if anything actually gets changed :roll:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby sheepo on Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 pm

hi it is something to do with the injector settings had it done on mine at 30,000km service when they done the tappets
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby nelds on Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 pm

hey guys small quantity relearn is the first shot of fuel the injectors inject just before start of injection to get the combustion process started it has to be done by the dealer with their service tool is really only neaded to b done on the earlier tritons that had a lot of diesel knock higher in the rev range hope this helps
nelds
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu May 21, 2009 6:08 am

I still don't know what it means and it was written on my school report card every year!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

serously Homer, you should do tuesday nights down at the local.......try the veal........
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boo-ya on Thu May 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks nelds for the insight. I dont think mine had diesal knock so dont know why he mentioned it. Just a way to try and convice me keep getting serviced there i guess.

Thanks Homer for the lighter side of life. :lol:
boo-ya

Postby slimv6 on Thu May 21, 2009 4:18 pm

I think needs to connected it to the MUT3 for the learning process. Hence the trip to the dealer... ? :roll:
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby MitsiGuy on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:09 pm

slimv6 wrote:I think needs to connected it to the MUT3 for the learning process. Hence the trip to the dealer... ? :roll:

Postby nelds on Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 pm
hey guys small quantity relearn is the first shot of fuel the injectors inject just before start of injection to get the combustion process started it has to be done by the dealer with their service tool is really only neaded to b done on the earlier tritons that had a lot of diesel knock higher in the rev range hope this helps

nelds

Yeah the SQL can only be done using the MUT 3. It is more thorough doing it with the the MUT 3 although you may notice it or not but the triton or pajero will carry out a minor SQL on their own. You can tell if its doing it it will make a funny sounding noise.

SQL has to be done on all tritons and even pajero with the common rail system. Due to the injectors being coded.

Another thing is the injectors have their own own coding and also have to be coded to the ECU otherwise they will run like crap. Can only be done with MUT 3 yet again.
MitsiGuy

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Boo-ya, a solution may be to have your Triton serviced by the dealer only for the minor service. This is relatively cheap but gives you the chance to get them to do any updates, warranty work etc. while it's there. Most dealers seem to charge the earth for a major service which, as you've found out, can be had elsewhere for half the cost.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby borngeek on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:47 pm

MitsiGuy wrote:
Yeah the SQL can only be done using the MUT 3. It is more thorough doing it with the the MUT 3 although you may notice it or not but the triton or pajero will carry out a minor SQL on their own. You can tell if its doing it it will make a funny sounding noise.

SQL has to be done on all tritons and even pajero with the common rail system. Due to the injectors being coded.

Another thing is the injectors have their own own coding and also have to be coded to the ECU otherwise they will run like crap. Can only be done with MUT 3 yet again.

This is a great answer MitsiGuy. Cheers :D

Just out of curiosity does this SQL run for a period after service?
What differences are experienced during a 'self test' by ECU?

cheers!, BG :ugeek:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MitsiGuy on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:55 pm

This is a great answer MitsiGuy. Cheers :D

Just out of curiosity does this SQL run for a period after service?
What differences are experienced during a 'self test' by ECU?

cheers!, BG :ugeek:[/quote]

No if it is carried out at the service then it should be ok. An SQL should be carried out every 15k when the service is carried out.

When the vehicle does an SQL itself it doent last that long and it can do it anytime that it needs to. You could be 5 min s down the road or 30 mins down the road. It will only happen when the car is warm though.

I dont quite get what you mean by the differences during the and ecu self test..??
MitsiGuy

Postby borngeek on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:05 am

dont worry that IS confusing.. :roll:

Differences in how the engine runs..
I just had my 30K (performed twice over a week with tappits on 2nd visit)
They performed a SQL. (possibly twice)

First full day back in it yesterday..
Strange event (other than it is running slightly smoother overall and a bit quieter maybee)

Pull up to lights. Makes a pinging noise (almost like it was going to stall - me having an auto) then runs strangely quiet/smooth with elevated RPM. Didnt last long 5-10 seconds tops. When i took off big puff of black smoke and back to normal. :shock:

called the dealer spoke with head mechanic / service manager they said what you said above (hence the search to see if they were fibbing ;) )

Another interesting assertion was that the MUT3 SQL can improve your fuel economy if it is getting progressively worse.. (mine +2L/100km over 12months) Could be true in some case i presume. :?: I dont have the km's up to see if it has yet...

Thanks again for your replies :D

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aff38 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi guys
New to this site and good to see everyones comments.
I have a MN GLR Man 4x4 and just had it back to the dealer because of the engine fuel knock is getting bad and the fuel economy is getting worse.
They told me that they had to reflash the memory and everything should be OK. As it was Friday at 5.00pm I drove off and the problem was exactly the same.
The vehicle has now had two reflashes and only has 9500km's on it. When it was new the fuel knock was only there during warm up and was never there after reaching operating temperature. Ran smooth and quiet for 2-3000km's and then got gradually worse. Now it is there all the time. Is this a sensor, injector or computer issue? and is there a good dealer in the Goulburn Canberra area that can fix this?
aff38

Postby chaser on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

aff38 wrote:Hi guys
New to this site and good to see everyones comments.
I have a MN GLR Man 4x4 and just had it back to the dealer because of the engine fuel knock is getting bad and the fuel economy is getting worse.
They told me that they had to reflash the memory and everything should be OK. As it was Friday at 5.00pm I drove off and the problem was exactly the same.
The vehicle has now had two reflashes and only has 9500km's on it. When it was new the fuel knock was only there during warm up and was never there after reaching operating temperature. Ran smooth and quiet for 2-3000km's and then got gradually worse. Now it is there all the time. Is this a sensor, injector or computer issue? and is there a good dealer in the Goulburn Canberra area that can fix this?

You changed the oil yet??? All MN'S Ive worked on so far they seem to be a bit louder once the oil is changed??? MN'S are normally very quiet operating....

Also lots more things happen at dealers when in for servicing than what you think. check all systems on the MUT, upgrade's if need be, fuel learns etc etc...

Also whenever something is done to the engine that could change the operating parameters a sql should be performed, other wise the engine more than likely will be very noisy off boost...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby patrolus on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:25 am

the mn is quiet??mhm. mine not really. especially when idling it is damn loud...sounds like a 4.2tdi patrol...:) what makes me wonder as well is that even in our 6 degrees cold nights the engine doesn't idle up when performing a cold start??? is that normal??
patrolus

Postby aff38 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:07 am

Thanks chaser
It is definately fuel knock and when on boost before the problems arose you could not hear anything and off boost was just as quiet. The only time your could hear the fuel knock was when the motor was cold and then as quiet as once it reached operating temp. Now it rattles under boost intermittently right through the rev range and also knocks when off boost cruising. Definately a fuel problem but the local mitsu guys are very green with this model i think.
Are all mitsu techs trained on new modles and do all dealers have all the required diagnostic gear these days to check for these problems?
Yes I have changed the oil but no difference. I had to change the oil as the overfueling was stuffing it.
I see some people in this forum getting into the 7 & 8l per 100k's. All my miles are hwy and only sit on 110k's and now average 9.6 to 10.4 l/100k's, and it is a manual 2.5TD. People with auto's are getting better with this around town.
aff38

Postby chaser on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:25 am

that's very weird hey, cause they are normally very quiet on boost. alil bit noisy at idle, most of the time they are the ecu is making adjustments whilst idling for periods of time.

We all undertake training and tech information is given to us, to help work on these trucks. the mut's are updated all the time to be up to date with the new vehicles, upgrades etc etc...

not sure about your fuel usage tho, have you checked it manually not the one in the truck??? cause you can never really trust them to 100% on the mark...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby borngeek on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am

I drove a dealers demo MN for 24 hours. (4000km on clock not serviced yet)
Much much quieter engine than a ML. Thats a definate!
However its seems to work a lot harder (revs faster/easier) and did sound 'pingy' compared to mine.
I have found fuel quality makes a huge diff (to pinging as well as economy) but this isnt the thread for this guys!

Ask your dealer to perform a SQL. (If they havent already) It definately has made my engine smoother running and possibly helped economy but i doubt that.. (2nd tank just started first showed better economy marginal but was tainted by some 'spirited' driving :twisted: but I have so many changes I couldnt pin it on one thing anyway)
I am curious what the mechanics on here think about the statement that a SQL can help with economy... Given the ECU performs its own calibration when it feels the urge..

Chaser: Is a MUT3 SQL something you guys just do as a matter of course during a service or is it something done only when something like tappits are adjusted and/or the client complains about engine economy/surging etc?

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aff38 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:40 am

fuel economy is measured at the pump with litre used and k's travelled.
I think it has the local mitsu tech stumped but will take back in Monday and see what they can do.
Will a leaking injector cause this?
aff38

Postby chaser on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm

borngeek wrote:I drove a dealers demo MN for 24 hours. (4000km on clock not serviced yet)
Much much quieter engine than a ML. Thats a definate!
However its seems to work a lot harder (revs faster/easier) and did sound 'pingy' compared to mine.
I have found fuel quality makes a huge diff (to pinging as well as economy) but this isnt the thread for this guys!

Ask your dealer to perform a SQL. (If they havent already) It definately has made my engine smoother running and possibly helped economy but i doubt that.. (2nd tank just started first showed better economy marginal but was tainted by some 'spirited' driving :twisted: but I have so many changes I couldnt pin it on one thing anyway)
I am curious what the mechanics on here think about the statement that a SQL can help with economy... Given the ECU performs its own calibration when it feels the urge..

Chaser: Is a MUT3 SQL something you guys just do as a matter of course during a service or is it something done only when something like tappits are adjusted and/or the client complains about engine economy/surging etc?

normally they are done after tappet adjustments etc, also if they seem a tad noisy we will do it. I had a auto 3.2 paj the other day with the fuel thingy in the dash(forgot what its called), drove it up the road and back i think it was about 8.1-8.2 l/100. Performed sql and it droped to about 7.9-8 l/100, so they do make a difference.

chaser

Postby borngeek on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:11 pm

chaser wrote:normally they are done after tappet adjustments etc, also if they seem a tad noisy we will do it. I had a auto 3.2 paj the other day with the fuel thingy in the dash(forgot what its called), drove it up the road and back i think it was about 8.1-8.2 l/100. Performed sql and it droped to about 7.9-8 l/100, so they do make a difference.

thanks chaser :D

I saw the instant change on the display (thingy in the dash) as well but dont really trust that thing. Coming out soon to make way for the liliput screen :)

Mainly it has helped with the 'pinging' noise. Definately a bit quieter since the tappet and SQL. Not going to write home about it though... I always use vortex diesel (no BP ultimate in NSW YET) but if unlucky enough to have to compromise its a awful tank to put up with. (pinging wise)

Service book does say 'do it' every 30K......... I guess the smoke it creates in the workshop may make it 'optional''??

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I had to buy standard Caltex not Vortex on my last tank. The guy at the servo said that the vortex is not "winter diesel" and asked how I'd been going with the Vortex. But the vehicle is far too new to have any idea at all, as it's only had two tanks put through it.
I guess I'd best not take it camping somewhere really cold with vortex in it by his reasoning ;)
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls