New steering column!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: New steering column!

Postby trytin on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 am

Just remember the issue is still not resolved. If you get a new one it will probably fail as well. My Ml colums are lasting 5-7,000km. The original one lasted 60,000km so I suspect the steering dampener might be stuffed and that's why they are now failing so quickly. Mentioned to the dealer but they didnt find anything wrong.
trytin

Postby Racer on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:51 am

Mine is booked in to have its 2nd one replaced. The Service Manager told me they have changed manufacturers...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Rolla on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:11 am

Got 16k on my MN and have just had a new steering column put in last week. All good for about 3 days and now it is starting to rattle again. Curious that such a widespread problem has been allowed to continue from one model to the next.
Wunce I coodent spell injunear, now i is wun
Rolla

Postby Rolla on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:24 am

The Alberto wrote:Try that just seems absolutely ridiculous, you must be so fkn p*ssed off by now, I reckon I would have driven it through the front door of the stealers with a note on it to stick it up his arse! :twisted:

I have had a small amout of success here anyway, I phoned my local Mitsu and advised them that I could get it fixed in Brisbane whenever without question, amazingly it is now no problem to have it done here and guess what..... they are actually performing the exact same fix to a Triton today, however last week they told me this was a problem they had never heard of. :roll:

I reckon it is about time Mitsubishi as a complete entity, picked its whole act up a bit. If I treated my customers the way Mitsu has been lately, I would be broke. :(

Alberto - that other Triton was probably my red GLR. They had it Monday and Tuesday last week. I got a bonus when I got my ute back - they'd given me some free smears of grease on the door trim, kindly removed all my radio settings and as a super special bonus, wiped the contents of the phonebook from the bluetooth. I've had fords serviced by Tropical as well and they've never been any good.
Wunce I coodent spell injunear, now i is wun
Rolla

Postby steve1961 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 pm

getting tthe first one replaced on my ML .. 80,000 ks
steve1961

Postby The Alberto on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Rolla wrote:Alberto - that other Triton was probably my red GLR. They had it Monday and Tuesday last week. I got a bonus when I got my ute back - they'd given me some free smears of grease on the door trim, kindly removed all my radio settings and as a super special bonus, wiped the contents of the phonebook from the bluetooth. I've had fords serviced by Tropical as well and they've never been any good.

Hey Rolla, yeah I'd say it must have been yours, I am so sick of the wankers at Tropical, they have dead set no idea :twisted:

I am waiting on a call this week for mine to go in - I'll be keeping an eye out for your "extras" and I hope for their sake they have run out. ;)

I hope your's doesn't have to go back, is that rattle getting any worse?
The Alberto

Postby trytin on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Racer wrote:Mine is booked in to have its 2nd one replaced. The Service Manager told me they have changed manufacturers...

And the second manufacturer has the same problem - I think I have had 2 or 3 of the new manufacturers ones now, I'm loosing count.
trytin

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Whats actually failing on the columns?

I've been getting more and more of a sensation of a light clunk on first movement of the steering.

Seems like a ridge in parts moving over each other.

What other damage is being caused every time a changeover takes place?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gfoss83 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:37 am

My MN has had a rattle in the steering on rough roads since about 1500km. Had it looked at but of course, they couldnt find a problem. Its now due for 15000km service so will be pushing the issue with them this time.
Want it looked at before i get my lift and tyres fitted so they cant use that as an excuse not to fix.
Gfoss83

Postby trytin on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 am

RHKTriton wrote:Whats actually failing on the columns?

I've been getting more and more of a sensation of a light clunk on first movement of the steering.

The steering colum has a splind section that allows movement length ways along the colum. This is to cater for chassei/body movements and also in a crash so the colum doent push thru your head. The spline is the same as you would find in a tailshaft where it connects to the gear box. Generally the spline on the colum has nylon coatings or one half made of nylon to remove any knocking or sliding feel to the steering wheel. From what I understand this is whats failing. The nylon is wearing and hence the rattle as the join is loose.
trytin

Postby Gfoss83 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:45 am

Had my 15000km service on thursday and took the mechanic for a drive on a rough road to show him the steering knock. He felt it straight away and said "thats not right". Got a call in the afternoon and was told they replaced the steering column. Picked it up and now its all sweet again so hopefully its not a reacurring issue like it was with some ML models.
Gfoss83

Postby sim_r32 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:13 pm

mines on the way out again been about ~10,000kms hope they dont blame it on the lift and muddies :-S
sim_r32

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 pm

This steering column problem sounds bizarre!

Mine is getting bit more noticeable - never had this symptom with any vehicle before - some over 190k!!

At 45 - 50k on the clock, there should be no noises in a steering setup.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby matt1988 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Mine just went back in to the dealer also, with a knock in the steering, the mechanic said straight away that they will replace the steering column as they are having problems with a lot of them in that model (2008). It has only taken me over 12 months to get them to do it. I took it too another dealer a few months ago and the service manager told me that the loud knock coming up through the stearing wheel is normal. Also the dealer that is replacing it said that the noise was also normal when I took it back to them the first time at about 10,000ks and its now only got 22,000 on it.
Last edited by matt1988 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt1988

Postby matt1988 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Eelesy wrote:Yes a few have had theirs replaced thru warranty.

Some of the earlier model tritons were fitted with bearings that got flogged out quickly. Rick is one i know of that has had this done.

Im convinced that mine has a knock when i go over speed bumps and kerbs but i mentioned it when it went in for service 2 weeks ago and they said they did not find anything mechanicaly wrong with it. (meaning they did not actually test drive it)

Mine also knocks when I go over speed humps or pull into a driveway. They have to replace it as it is a known problem.
matt1988

Postby reeldreamer on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:29 pm

I have now got the knock in my steering! I hope that they don't try the same bs i have been reading in these previous pages! I have noticed a knock when I turn from hard left back to center. I love this forum an absolute wealth of information!!!! :D

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 pm

So my car went to Mitsubishi on monday and they said they have never ever changed a steering column.......So what is my next step? I am getting a random knock through the floor pan and they can not reproduce the problem! Any easy tips to help reproduce the issue?

Mitch

reeldreamer

Postby steve1961 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 pm

their having a " lend " of you ..... go to a different dealer
steve1961

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 am

RHKTriton wrote:Whats actually failing on the columns?

That's what mines doing. Clunk on change of direction from centre. Like play in the spline.

You can reproduce it much easier with the engine off...just turn it side to side and you will have no issues with the dealer then...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby new44 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Just a note (reminder).

I can`t find the thread on this subject, but everyone needs to check tightness of steel lines into the steering rack. Mine were not tight enough either..
new44

Postby reeldreamer on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 am

Just had my steering column replaced hopefully it fixes the problem! I have noticed the sterring is much lighter now!

Mitch

reeldreamer

New steering column!

Postby steve1961 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:20 am

Mines being done today ... Will be interesting to see the difference
steve1961

Postby trytin on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Finally had mine fixed by Toyota :lol: :lol:
trytin

Postby steve1961 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Well new column fitted ... knock gone and no difference to the steering ... got some free grease on the seat ... scratches on the steering wheel ... and seems not to be in the same spot ... ie more off center like not on the right spline ... typical ... when visiting this place one needs to make 2 appointments ... one to get the job done and one to repair the #uck ups
steve1961

Postby Steane on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:22 pm

trytin wrote:Finally had mine fixed by Toyota :lol: :lol:

excellent! You can start saving up for new injectors now... :lol: :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls