New steering column!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: New steering column!

Postby trytin on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Yep, another column on order - lets hope 3rd time lucky :?: Makes me wonder if they have actually fixed the fault in these columns or just fobbing off until the warranty runs out.
trytin

Postby Homer on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 pm

I would look into it a bit mate....stealers often wont help you even if they know what the problem is.

I say that as there are heaps of Triton's out there (mine included) that have never experienced this in a lot of km's - 3 [censored] times? Something wrong there.....

Sometimes you have to be a female genitalia....
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Gumbah52 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Had my MN GLX R in for a service today and mentioned to the guy when I booked it in last week that there was a dull clunk from the steering.

Today they rang and said the car would be a bit late for pick up as they were replacing the steering column :o

The column they put into mine was scheduled for another Triton booked in on Thursday. Hope the replacement one arrives on time for him.

All this on a vehicle that has only done 7,250 kilometres :shock:
Cheers
Gumbah52
Gumbah52

Postby giancarlo93 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:40 am

Hello everyone!
I'm having the same knock noise in my triton when turning the steering wheel.
I can feel it in the floor below my foots.
The noise started one week ago, when we added an spacer in the front suspension, so when I got home we looked for the noise and could't find it so we took it back to the mechanic to see if they have put something wrong etc.
Well after trying everything with the front suspension, the knock is still there.

Now about the steering column, is it a recall from the mitsubishi?
Should the dealer take care about it and replace it with out cost?

Thanks everyone.
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
giancarlo93

Postby Trilo on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 pm

giancarlo93 wrote:Hello everyone!
I'm having the same knock noise in my triton when turning the steering wheel.
I can feel it in the floor below my foots.
The noise started one week ago, when we added an spacer in the front suspension, so when I got home we looked for the noise and could't find it so we took it back to the mechanic to see if they have put something wrong etc.
Well after trying everything with the front suspension, the knock is still there.

Now about the steering column, is it a recall from the mitsubishi?
Should the dealer take care about it and replace it with out cost?

Thanks everyone.

If it is still under warranty the dealer should replace without cost, some of the guys have had more than one replaced. I have also the knock and it has had the steering column replaced once already. So I have to take it to the dealer to get it replaced again or find out what's causing the problems. :x
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Postby giancarlo93 on Sat May 01, 2010 2:16 am

Thank you.
But, where do you feel the knock? in the steering wheel or in the floor below your foot?
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

giancarlo93

Postby Trilo on Sat May 01, 2010 1:15 pm

giancarlo93 wrote:Thank you.
But, where do you feel the knock? in the steering wheel or in the floor below your foot?

I feel it in both but more in the floor below my foot, than the steering column.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Trilo

Postby giancarlo93 on Mon May 10, 2010 5:39 am

We just fix the knocking sound.
The upper control arm was a little bit loose.
We just tighten it a little and no more knocking.
Mitsubishi Triton L200
V6
315/70/R17
Ironman suspension
ARB bull bar
Safari snorkel

giancarlo93

Postby daryn on Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

My replacement column has been ordered.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby trytin on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 am

trytin wrote:Yep, another column on order - lets hope 3rd time lucky :?: Makes me wonder if they have actually fixed the fault in these columns or just fobbing off until the warranty runs out.

Oh Dear. Number 4 steering coloum now on order. First lasted 60,000km - 2nd 7,000km - 3rd 7,000km. Stealer knows I am an expert on identifying the issue so he didnt even come out and look at it. He said the orginal manufacturer has now been given the boot, but the new supplier is having the same issue. Sounds like a design fault rather than a manufacturing issue.

I am really wondering if I can afford to keep this ute after warranty as always seem something needs replaced/repaired.
trytin

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:17 pm

I don't know commercial law, but I think you have some grounds for an extended warranty on the steering column considering the history??

I would be talking to Mits or a free 1 hr solicitor consultation - if they still do that?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby trytin on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Homer, still have 2 years - 50,000km warranty left. I was looking long term after that. Granted Mitso warrant such repairs for 12 months even if you are out of warranty, I am just wondering what will fail after warranty and the cost to repair.
trytin

Postby slimjim on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:58 pm

yeah only just last week a mate of mine with a ML was talking about same problem, i will let him know it is a good outcome.
slimjim

Postby dbatz on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

I've just joined the club with a new column on order. Hope it lasts!
dbatz

Postby trytin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am

trytin wrote:
trytin wrote:Yep, another column on order - lets hope 3rd time lucky :?: Makes me wonder if they have actually fixed the fault in these columns or just fobbing off until the warranty runs out.

Oh Dear. Number 4 steering coloum now on order. First lasted 60,000km - 2nd 7,000km - 3rd 7,000km. Stealer knows I am an expert on identifying the issue so he didnt even come out and look at it. He said the orginal manufacturer has now been given the boot, but the new supplier is having the same issue. Sounds like a design fault rather than a manufacturing issue.

I am really wondering if I can afford to keep this ute after warranty as always seem something needs replaced/repaired.

:evil: :evil: :evil: Now I am getting angry. Steering column number 5 on its way. Rang Mitso - not interested but gave me the name of the dealers boss who has the authority to take it up with Mitso. He couldn't believe the problem and is going to look into the whole issue plus the surge issue they havent been able to fix yet. I have now real problem with the dealer at this stage as always been helpful and changed anything that needed changing. Wont ramble on but if I get answers will advise.
trytin

Postby sam on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

Noooooo you can't go past 5 mate otherwise you'll overtake our record of 5 Diffs :cry: :lol: :lol:
sam

Postby trytin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 am

sam wrote:Noooooo you can't go past 5 mate otherwise you'll overtake our record of 5 Diffs :cry: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for mentioning that. If my diff goes I will be on my way to WA with a base ball bat ;)
trytin

Postby sam on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

Why WA I thought Adelaide would be better ;)
sam

Postby The Alberto on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Finally some answers!

My MN GLXR has been doing this for about 2500k now and it is p*ssing me off, the thing has only just clicked over 8,000k. I have been to the dealer twice who told me it was normal driving feed back. Pigs arse! I took the dumb _ _ _ _ for a drive it did it on every second bump and he goes - oh that... duh

Got back and he reckons he has to change all the suspension back to standard and take the big tyres off before he can do anything about fixing it. The suspension and tyres have only been on for 3 weeks!

I am thinking the baseball bat approach is sounding better and better!!
The Alberto

Postby trytin on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:18 pm

The Alberto wrote:Finally some answers!

My MN GLXR has been doing this for about 2500k now and it is p*ssing me off, the thing has only just clicked over 8,000k. I have been to the dealer twice who told me it was normal driving feed back. Pigs arse! I took the dumb _ _ _ _ for a drive it did it on every second bump and he goes - oh that... duh

Got back and he reckons he has to change all the suspension back to standard and take the big tyres off before he can do anything about fixing it. The suspension and tyres have only been on for 3 weeks!

I am thinking the baseball bat approach is sounding better and better!!

If its the column
Just park the car - engine off wheels straight ahead. Riggle the steering wheel loosly back and forth around the slack spot and you would feel and hear the knocking. Second person then can hold the steering column under the bonnet and feel the knock in the column as well. This should check between the steering wheel and the steering box as there is not much happening on the other side of the steering box unless you start putting more pressure on the steering wheel. Should prove or deny the dealers claims.
trytin

Postby The Alberto on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks Tri,

Did that and yes definately the problem. :(

Tropical Mitsubishi In Rockhampton still do not want to know about it, reckon they need it for 3 days to convert all suspension back to standard and put Standard tyres back on it before they will look at it again. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

When I first bought the Triton I went to these Muppets for a price. My wife and my 2 kids went down one Saturday morning and drove a GLXR around for about an hour. We sat with the sales goon and told him we wanted one and he just had to work out a price. 3 Weeks later and I had not heard back from him. In the meantime I got prices from Eagers in Brisbane. I phoned the clown in Rocky and said - remember me? He had 147 excuses and explained that he would get back to me. Next day he gave me a price $4,500 dearer than Brisbane. When I asked him to sharpen the pencil he said they would throw in floor mats and that was his final offer. :shock: Needless to say. I bought the car from Eagers in Brisbane.

I just phoned Eagers now and explained the problem, within 5 minutes I had the service manager on the phone, he has an MN GLXR that they replaced the column in 2 weeks ago. He said I'll order it now when can you get down here to have it fitted.... :D I am happy again! Now I am about to make a call to the Oxygen thief at Mitsubishi Rockhampton and spoil his day.

Another 5 stars for newtriton.net - another fail for Mitsu Rocky.
The Alberto

Postby trytin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Number 5 steering colum now installed, but expected to fail like the rest of them. Dealer talking to Adelaide who are talking to Japan. Reports of all my previous colums being reviewed ( and I dare say everyone elses that have failed ). When Japan come up with an answer they will let me know and maybe number 6 colum will finally fix the issue.
trytin

Postby The Alberto on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Try that just seems absolutely ridiculous, you must be so fkn p*ssed off by now, I reckon I would have driven it through the front door of the stealers with a note on it to stick it up his arse! :twisted:

I have had a small amout of success here anyway, I phoned my local Mitsu and advised them that I could get it fixed in Brisbane whenever without question, amazingly it is now no problem to have it done here and guess what..... they are actually performing the exact same fix to a Triton today, however last week they told me this was a problem they had never heard of. :roll:

I reckon it is about time Mitsubishi as a complete entity, picked its whole act up a bit. If I treated my customers the way Mitsu has been lately, I would be broke. :(
The Alberto

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Well you can now add me to the list with a knock in the steering column. Started doing it on the weekend and now every time you change direction. Will see how we go when I take it in........
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:06 pm

The biggest problem with asking Mitsy as a whole to operate the same way will never happen, each dealer is owned independantly and can therefore interpret things different ways. Sometimes it just takes some persuasion to make things happen.

cheers
Lee-thal

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls