New steering column!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

New steering column!

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:52 pm

I had mine done at 25K. I think you will find, they no longer replace the column, rather, re-pour resin down the bottom of it. :-(
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Re: New steering column!

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

So..are Mitsu the only ones having this problem with the column slack?

If so then there must be a point where the automotive regulators, consumer affairs, etc must have a point to kick in.

I bought my truck with the view that being "heavy duty" it should last me for years in normal road use.
If items like steering columns are going to fail in short periods then ultimately it deems the vehicle a "lemon"!

Has anyone checked whether a column from another sourcce can be substituted?

The resin idea might sound good initially.....until you have a bingle and the bl**dy thing doesn't copllapse!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:36 pm

To anyone who has had this steering column issue.......does it seem more evident when the road is wet?? :? Because it certainly is with mine......

I have had a clunk in the front of mine for a while now......although now it seems more like a "loud snapping noise" than a "clunk".
Im assuming it is the steering column as it is very similar symptoms to those who have already posted here.....and i also cant find anything else that may be causing it.

I tow a trailer nearly every day, I notice it A LOT more when reversing the trailer into a driveway for eg...going lock to lock..........and also when very lightly braking at low speed (walking pace) either forward or in reverse....also notice it offroad on occasions.......
These things happen more so than just a "clunk" going over speed humps and kerbs like others have said already....

I dropped into Penrith Mitsubishi yesterday for them to have a look......got the standard "It must be your tyres....It must be your lift" :roll: :lol: When i mentioned that this was a well known issue and plenty of people have had to have it fixed.......this tool totally sledged me while pointing at my NTN stickers and said "Well, you have it wrong....yours is a ML...not a "new" triton...so what ever forum you read that on...you have mistaken the models" :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: %$@#.tard :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby tyson09 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 pm

mine is a 09 ml ,al coholic the discription of the symtoms is identical to mine in every way . mine has had a easy life at only 45000 . I have a lift kit and mud tyres and have had two suspension shops test it and there is nothing else wrong with my car but this clunk comming from the stearing . I go to war with stealer on the 8th so will see how i go . :evil:
tyson09

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 pm

The "tool" is obviously not likely to have a long "career".

I has a T4 Twin Cab VW and it had about three sections of column from the steering wheel to the rack. There wasn't a hint of play in the steering after 195,000km of all sorts of driving.

For a 1tonner, 4wd, living 80%plus on made roads, it seems pssss poor that one of the most essential components can deteriorate before one to two hundred thousand km. (excepting you guys with 35ives, etc, who probably really want a tank).
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 pm

al coholic wrote:....this tool totally sledged me while pointing at my NTN stickers and said "Well, you have it wrong....yours is a ML...not a "new" triton...so what ever forum you read that on...you have mistaken the models" :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: %$@#.tard :twisted:

This is the reason i wont put a sticker on mine as much as id like to :roll:

I have possibly a similar low speed knock that is noticable on take off. Kinda just got use to it, so be interested to hear more as this develops.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

New steering column!

Postby al coholic on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks Tyson09, let us know how you get on ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby tyson09 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 am

Well got my Triton back today the stealer stated on the phone that the stearing colum needs to be replaced under warranty and they will order it in .But when i went to pick the car up they have changed there mind and they now say that the stearing Rack is stuffed and it needs to be replaced at $2500 and this is the cause of the clunk. They are also trying to say that my tough dog 25 ml lift and mud tyres have caused the stearing rack problem and they are not sure MIts will warrenty the repair WTF . They said they will ring me next week with and answer on the warranty . sounds like a fight my tyres are 265/17 MAXXIS big horn and i would be very suprised if this has caused any problems . :evil:
tyson09

Postby 900canoes on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 am

My PB Challenger has had a slight clunk through the steering for about 8 months now. (started six months from new) The trouble is I cant replicate the conditions when it happens at the dealer when I get them to look at it. This model has rack & pinion.
My PA Challenger (2005) has the steering clunk but worse. (recirc ball box). I am positive the problem is in the column.
PB Challenger
900canoes

Postby andyj on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

tyson09 wrote:Well got my Triton back today the stealer stated on the phone that the stearing colum needs to be replaced under warranty and they will order it in .But when i went to pick the car up they have changed there mind and they now say that the stearing Rack is stuffed and it needs to be replaced at $2500 and this is the cause of the clunk. They are also trying to say that my tough dog 25 ml lift and mud tyres have caused the stearing rack problem and they are not sure MIts will warrenty the repair WTF . They said they will ring me next week with and answer on the warranty . sounds like a fight my tyres are 265/17 MAXXIS big horn and i would be very suprised if this has caused any problems . :evil:

Any Update on this Tyson...
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby tyson09 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:07 pm

i am still waiting on a response form the dealer , i have rang twice and of course they dont ring me back . :shock:
tyson09

Postby adamhunt1 on Fri May 18, 2012 2:44 pm

09 ML with 90k on the clock - just got a new steering column under warranty - no issues or hassles, just told them about the problem and 6 weeks later the parts are in and rocking.
adamhunt1

Postby tyson09 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm

steering colum replaced under warranty ,had to wait over a month
tyson09

New steering column!

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Shit 100 posts and this prob is across the board all models... I've read that somebody has found the problem and it is part of the collapsible column. the glue fails and let's a part rattle but causes no problem other than an annoyance. ive learnt to live with it since ive found out it won't cause a failure of the steering...
viking shippy

New steering column!

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 pm

viking shippy wrote:Shit 100 posts and this prob is across the board all models... I've read that somebody has found the problem and it is part of the collapsible column. the glue fails and let's a part rattle but causes no problem other than an annoyance. ive learnt to live with it since ive found out it won't cause a failure of the steering...

I've had the rattle since 50k and every service mentioned it..out of warranty now :-(
viking shippy

New steering column!

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Heres the fix folks
viewtopic.php?t=7284
viking shippy

Postby Homer on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 am

If it is this problem it is easy to diagnose...it is a clunk when turning.
You can replicate it easily when sitting still. Just steer hard from side to side while motionless and it should clunk.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby neros103 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 pm

hay all, the thud from steering column sorted, as a couple of you advised yes it was the problem with the collapsible part of the column or rather the epoxy gunk they use (thanks for that info). but anyway new column fitted and all is good again, just in time for my trip
neros103

Postby cnswilly on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am

Hi Guys,

New here and i only just got my 2010MN Triton second hand from Brisbane then drove up to Cairns in it. Firstly i love the car but i noticed the same with the knocking while driving back from Brisbane ( Gotta love thoe QLD Roads). So i looked at the car when i got it home. The best way to check if it is steering column is to hold the first uni joint under the dash and move the steering wheel. They are a collapsible shaft so its common i have been told especially in the old holdens. So i went into my dealer up here Mareeba Mitsubishi and Mazda. I was thoroughly impressed. They are ordering me a new steering column and also going to reflash my ecu under warranty. I was also told it is a known issue with the ML triton and some MN tritons have had it done also.

I must say i have been lurking on here for awhile now as i was waiting for the right car to come up and im happy with my purchase and happier to part of the TRITON revolution.

Cheers
Willy
cnswilly

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am

I think this issue has just reared its ugly head.

I can sit in my car with engine off and turn wheel side to side hearing a knock

Happy to read that the steering won't stop working. Will get it into the dealership after the robe trip.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Skinner on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Had the hot fix done to my steering column last week. Along with 3rd gear.
The service guy said that he poured a red glue inside the column. While this has fixed the clunk and reduced the play within the system (could turn the wheel 10mm before and engagement with the rack) it now creaks like crazy every time I turn the wheel in any direction. Sounds like rubber gripping on steel, which I imagine is what the cause is. I'll be taking the plastic off an lubricating everything that moves under there.

If not then back to the dealers!
2009 MN GLX 4X4 Dual Cab - Bog Standard WRITTEN OFF
2006 ML GLX 4X4 Single Cab - The Replacement Weapon
Skinner
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 am

I had the same thing which took 4 trips back to the dealer to fix. The sound was coming from the rubber boot in the footwell. Ended up using some old fashioned rubber grease and all good
biggibbo

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 am

I had mine in last week for this. I think they put a new column in as they had to order parts??

Works great now other than the fact the steering wheel isn't on straight...
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cnswilly on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 am

I had the old re glue trick. I was told that the issue is from the manufacturer using poor quality parts. Mitsi are re-gluing them from what i have been told and it is a big job so make sure its a warranty. I would imagine if it is out of the 5 year warranty they should also have to do it as it was not fit for purpose.
cnswilly

Postby Skinner on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am

biggibbo wrote:I had the same thing which took 4 trips back to the dealer to fix. The sound was coming from the rubber boot in the footwell. Ended up using some old fashioned rubber grease and all good

I'll have to have a look and see where it's coming from. Hopefully this fixes it
2009 MN GLX 4X4 Dual Cab - Bog Standard WRITTEN OFF
2006 ML GLX 4X4 Single Cab - The Replacement Weapon
Skinner
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls