Re: New steering column!

Postby mattz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm

new steering column ordered for mine (2006 ml)115k
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby kwyjibo on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:43 pm

had my steering column replaced last week without drama, drives exactly the same... :| had the knock since about 60k ... replaced at 95k :lol:
kwyjibo

Postby golden on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 pm

2nd one being replaced 61k.
PB Challenger MY12 Auto 4WD
VR 06 2008 3.2TD Auto - Gone
MQ Patrol - Play Truck
golden

Postby CairnsGSE on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:28 pm

2nd one coming up this week ,MN single cab ,50k
CairnsGSE

Postby CairnsGSE on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Like i said 2nd column in now plus new inlet manifold on order ?It seems they can't handle any sort of dirt road ,feed back through the rack must stuff the lower column bush ,so looks like 6 columns this lease, can't wait for the new ford ranger, over the shit 2.5
CairnsGSE

Postby snowman on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

i am sure it is frustrating. the stupid thing is that this has been hapening to ML's now for years and then they produced the new MN (which almost undoubtedly has the same spec column)....so they either have their heads in their arses, don't get or want to receive feedback from aussie delaers or they just dont care.

it COULD NOT be that hard to rectify this problem MITSUBISHI. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

when my old mans V8 100 series had a full short motor replacement for a warranty issue at over 100,000klms they sent it all back to Japan for an assessment. They obviously chuck these columns in the friggin dumpster at Mitsubishi. [censored]. Seriously.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steve1961 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:21 pm

next one that stuff up" iam" going to have pulled out and i will have it " repaired " properly
steve1961

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 am

mines knocking too but its out of warranty (over 3 yrs but only 55k on the clock) ...so it can keep knocking until it gets real bad...I dont want to know what the stealer would charge :roll:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby steve1961 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 am

tassie_ml wrote:mines knocking too but its out of warranty (over 3 yrs but only 55k on the clock) ...so it can keep knocking until it gets real bad...I dont want to know what the stealer would charge :roll:

you should still be able to get it replaced as its a known problem
steve1961

New steering column!

Postby UAV on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

tassie_ml wrote:mines knocking too but its out of warranty (over 3 yrs but only 55k on the clock) ...so it can keep knocking until it gets real bad...I dont want to know what the stealer would charge :roll:

Shouldn't you have 5 year warranty?
UAV

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 pm

yeah tassie i think they went 5 year on the ML's :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Yeah 5 yrs as long as you got the service book or something registered/stamped to get the extra yrs.

These utes could start to become a liability to own when outa warranty me starting to thinks . :? :roll: cause I wouldn't like to be paying retail parts price and then labour for things like this and manifold cleans
etc.
sam

Postby tassie_ml on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:40 pm

you only get the 5 years if you have the vehicle inspected at the 3 yr mark and the log book stamped, I didnt realise that when I bought the car at 2 yrs and 9 months old :shock:
Mark

tassie_ml

New steering column!

Postby fridgie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I was asked when I bought mine if I would be going for the 5yr warranty :D

I have rung mits about it and was told I am covered (even though I haven't done the 3yr inspection ;) )

Mine is just under 4yrs old and as soon as I get a day off organized it will be going in for a new steering column :mrgreen:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby snowman on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

tassie_ml wrote:you only get the 5 years if you have the vehicle inspected at the 3 yr mark and the log book stamped, I didnt realise that when I bought the car at 2 yrs and 9 months old :shock:

i didn't know that....[censored] the fine print.

and the column is not driveline so only 5 years in any case.

i might change my tune and use mits up to 5yrs so i can be assured of getting these items rectified until then. :evil:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

You may find a steering column replaced under warranty may be covered by an additional parts warranty which would run separately to the vehicle warranty as has happened to me with a clutch problem in a truck that was playing up again right on the expiry of the warranty. the dealer replaced the clutch under warranty which was then covered by an additional 2 years. different manufacturer though.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby 06tritonGLXR on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 pm

what would this cost if you got it done out of warranty?? or would the stealers replace it because it is sooooo common?? almost like a recall. :?:
06tritonGLXR

Postby Greedy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 pm

06tritonGLXR wrote:almost like a recall. :?:

Mitsi's have had plenty of these with the ML's IMO. The steering pump drop-out and the steering column are 2 that spring to mind. :roll: There are probably other sfety issues that haven't been recalled either.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sarice on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:48 pm

The stealers in Hobart have tried to blame me for the steering column issue as well. It`s starting to get a little annoying so will be getting it looked at again shortly hopefully. I dunno if it`s worth it though if some guys have had it replaced a few times after a few thousand clicks each time. What would the long term consequences be if it wasn`t replaced?, steering failure or just the annoying little clunking at low speed forever?.
sarice

Postby tassie_ml on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

sarice wrote:The stealers in Hobart have tried to blame me for the steering column issue as well. It`s starting to get a little annoying so will be getting it looked at again shortly hopefully. I dunno if it`s worth it though if some guys have had it replaced a few times after a few thousand clicks each time. What would the long term consequences be if it wasn`t replaced?, steering failure or just the annoying little clunking at low speed forever?.

I am not sure Sarice, admittedly mine has been 'clunking' randomly at low speed for over 4 months now, not always but occassionally more so when its first driven (cold) and it isnt getting any better or worse, I havent had the steering lock or any other issues with the steering so time will only tell I suppose.

when you hear the other guys with theirs repeatedly doing it even after new columns are installed, it makes you wonder if its worth doing when its at your own expense if there is no other side effects. I can put up with it the way it is.
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 am

Do the P** Jabbers (Pajeros) have this problem also?

If not, whats the difference?

On mine (58k now) you can hang onto the universal joint near the floor and when you turn the wheel there is a distinct amount of play - absolute shit for a vehicle with this amount of kms and age! You can allow it on a $3k ride-on mower but for a modern vehicle?

What are the competitors performing like in this area?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:58 am

RHKTriton wrote:Do the P** Jabbers (Pajeros) have this problem also?

If not, whats the difference?

On mine (58k now) you can hang onto the universal joint near the floor and when you turn the wheel there is a distinct amount of play - absolute shit for a vehicle with this amount of kms and age! You can allow it on a $3k ride-on mower but for a modern vehicle?

What are the competitors performing like in this area?

Do the ML's have rack and pinion or a box? I havent had a look under one...
If they are a box, your pretty much stuck with it. Typical commercial vehicle steering. If its rack and pinion it shouldn't be that way.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sarice on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:34 pm

I am not sure Sarice, admittedly mine has been 'clunking' randomly at low speed for over 4 months now, not always but occassionally more so when its first driven (cold) and it isnt getting any better or worse, I havent had the steering lock or any other issues with the steering so time will only tell I suppose.

when you hear the other guys with theirs repeatedly doing it even after new columns are installed, it makes you wonder if its worth doing when its at your own expense if there is no other side effects. I can put up with it the way it is.

The same with me mate, just the little annoying clunk intermittently. When I reported it to the dealer they conveniently blamed me and still managed to charge me for it. I`ll be back there shortly to buy some parts so will mention it again. I can live with it at this stage.
I`m going bush with the ute tomorrow for a couple of days so will test it out.
sarice

Postby tassie_ml on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:23 pm

sarice wrote:The same with me mate, just the little annoying clunk intermittently. When I reported it to the dealer they conveniently blamed me and still managed to charge me for it. I`ll be back there shortly to buy some parts so will mention it again. I can live with it at this stage.
I`m going bush with the ute tomorrow for a couple of days so will test it out.

we did over a thousand kays on the dirt when we went to SA and the Flinders Ranges last year and it didnt make it any worse so I think it has got as bad as it will....hopefully :roll:
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby tyson09 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:15 pm

well iam at 45000 ks and mines been clunking for 5000 so it is booked in . Stealer state they are unaware of any issues stearing colums , LOL. and because i havent served it with them i have to produce recipts of my service history even though i have the book stampted what the F@$# , they will try anything to get out of fixing these cars . Problem with living in darwin is there is only one stealer . :evil:
tyson09

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls