2.4 ltr Petrol 4x2 issues

What were your warranty claims and recall information

2.4 ltr Petrol 4x2 issues

Postby grasshopper on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Hey all,
After delving through the pages and pages of Diesel 4x4 issues...
Am i right in surmising the only ones relevant to my model of Triton -
2.4 ltr Petrol 4x2 are:
Possible Gearbox oil issue
Possible Steering Column issue
U-Bolts in Suspension National Recall (no letter to me either).

Yet i have had two letters about customer satisfaction surveys...

Cheers,
grasshopper

Re: 2.4 ltr Petrol 4x2 issues

Postby Auslander on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 pm

G'day Grasshopper,

I can't help you with your query and i don't think you will get much of a reply in here, seems to be 4x4 only.

I asked about the 2.4 sometime ago, and no one who actually owned one answered.
I've been thinking about buying the 2.4 tonner for sometime but can't get any owner evaluation on one. So your the man :)

Whats the 2.4 like on fuel, have you had any issues with it and anything else you like or hate about the vehicle? Also i'd be very interested in an answer to your query.

Thanks in advance.
Auslander

Postby Buzzy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Guys,
Grasshopper is probably the only owner of the 2.4 4x2's on the site. (There arn't many of you)
Its certainly not only a 4x4 forum, all are welcome but like you said Austlander unless whatever issues you have are relevant to all models you may not get alot of responses as the majority on the site have 3.2 Diesels (and petrols, sorry Homer) and may not know alot about the 2.4's etc.
Hope you know what I mean, think I may of just confused myself :? :geek:

Feel free to discuss whatever you want about your trucks. We will try and help if we can.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Auslander wrote:
I can't help you with your query and i don't think you will get much of a reply in here, seems to be 4x4 only.

I asked about the 2.4 sometime ago, and no one who actually owned one answered.

True that no one who actually owned one answered but there are 11 posts in that thread which aint bad and I did answer at length on 20-6-09 with my experience driving the various models, in particular the 2.4 petrol.
I agree it's heavily biased towards 4x4 3.2 D owners in here but they haven't forced me out yet and it's great to have another 4x2 tray top owner hanging on too.
sierra

Postby Auslander on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I should have worded my reply a bit better. I didn't intend my remarks to be derogatory, was more an observation. The sister forum to here, Hilux, is exactly the same way. Also, most 4x2 2.4 owners would be Co. vehicles i imagine? And wouldn't venture to a site such as this.

But like Grasshopper, i will be using my 2.4 as a daily driver, and it's impossible to get any real world feedback about the poverty pack vehicle. This place is the closest, infact only place to try.
Auslander

Postby sierra on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 pm

I wondered if you had read my reply to you, only because I spent a bit of time and thought on it?
Mine is my daily driver too, I feel at home in a 1 tonner for some reason.
I've had 4x4's before but the off road game has little appeal, more appealing is the versatility and bomb proof nature of a light commercial vehicle that rarely gets work. Very useful for helping family and friends, good for unsealed roads without suffering the way a car does with cosmetic depreciation.
I agree that the vast majority of 4x2 tray top or ute drivers will be work only but it's good to be different.
Currently mine is stripped of the rear alloy bar and the tray sides because they are easy to remove until needed. That way they can't get pinched and it saves on fuel. I always carry ropes and most things can be carried that way.
If a set of decent 4x4 tyres and rims come up I will buy them to use on any trips involving a lot of unsealed roads and plan to replace the skinny shocks with some decent chunky units but that's about it at the moment.
sierra

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:56 am

Hey Sierra, I think you've got a lot of good things to add to this site and have 'some' well thought out responses and technical tips and observations as I think most on here would agree.

I like the different information you have made available by being a keen poster, and with a bit of technical knowlege bring some useful info on the 2.5 diesel.

I don't know if some of your posts are tongue in cheek because humour is hard to translate on the interweb.
But mate, this isn't a dick measuring competition.
Most people on here have 4x4's and most with 3.2's, that's just how it is.
But I can tell you from experience, that all on here have one thing in common...we like cars, we like driving them and we like talking about it.
We have a bit of banter, but it is in jest and wouldn't think of 'forcing anyone out', at least not because their vehicle had a different drive train. I understand it can be frustrating not having many members with similar equipment to compare and relate to.

You have taken some offence with the 2.5 issue, but none of it is aimed at you, your engine or your type of vehicle. It is strictly about a new model 4x4 and people can have their opinions - I agree with the majority.

Now in 4X2 I would be firmly in the 2.5 camp as I guess would most.

Take a breath and remember we are all Triton brothers.

There will be plenty of 2.5 talk in the coming years with the MN model, and they may out number the 3.2's at some stage in the not too distant future.
So have a little compassion when that happens for the 3.2 guys looking for some help ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:13 am

Hi Homer,
Thanks and ouch!
Still, I had that coming to me and it's true, some of it is tongue in cheek too.
I admit I've been over defensive but it seems like I've been the only one having anything positive to say about the 2.5 and couldn't help myself from spoiling the 3.2 wanking competition, silly I know[TIC].

Anyway, I appreciate what you say and taking the time to say it. Of course, we are all passionate about our vehicles, hence my keen posting although from that minority perspective, that I can't change unless others with similar vehicles join the forum and that's unlikely because we are thin on the ground.

Good on you Homer!
sierra

Postby jop on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 am

sierra wrote:I admit I've been over defensive but it seems like I've been the only one having anything positive to say about the 2.5 and couldn't help myself from spoiling the 3.2 wanking competition, silly I know[TIC].

Good on you Homer!

Couldn't help yourself eh! :?
jop

Postby sierra on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56 am

jop wrote:
Couldn't help yourself eh! :?

No! I'll have to seek some medication.
:?
sierra

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

I'm just glad it's not a dick measuring competition :oops:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 am

Homer wrote:I'm just glad it's not a dick measuring competition :oops:

In that scenario the 3.2 would appear to be bigger than the new 2.5 but when aroused the newcomer would put the old fellow to shame. Might need a by-pass sooner though?
sierra

Postby Adz on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:18 am

:|
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby grasshopper on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 am

mmkay !
As usual, i forgot to select the "notify me of reply" at the bottom...

2.4 lt petrol 4x2 issues = none really.
Fuel usage REAL WORLD = 8.19 Ks/ltr or 12.24 lt/100Ks.
90% of the time, my ute is empty apart from the large tool/storage box i have chained in the back.
I carried home a pallet of Link Wall retaining wall blocks = a bit over 1 tonne. No problems.
Before you really load it up, increase your tire pressures - especially the rears, i went to 42 psi - will go to 48 next time i get to a 1 tonne load.

From what i can see the Ryco Z411 oil filter will also fit the 2.4 petrol - but i am not a trade Qual mechanic.
I went for the Alum tray - again because of the not fully loaded all the time. So less weight to cart about empty.
:-)
Cheers,
*** Edited due to my mix up - the original figures were from my NJ Pajero 3.5 lt petrol. ffs. soz guys.
grasshopper

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 am

grasshopper wrote:mmkay !
As usual, i forgot to select the "notify me of reply" at the bottom...
2.4 lt petrol 4x2 issues = none really.
Fuel usage REAL WORLD = 6.64 Ks/ltr or 15.13 lt/100Ks.

Grasshopper,
If you forget and remember, just click on 'edit' above your post and you correct it, good for fixing up mistakes too!

That's really crappy fuel consumption! Mine is almost 1/2 that with the diesel. That's worse than the 3.5V6
The Ford Courier cab chassis alloy tray top I used to have was a 5 speed with the 2.6 petrol motor. It was rated at about 12L/100km but I averaged 11L/100km. It used more on a run at 100kph+ than around town because of the low gearing.
Dunno why they gear them like that when you have a gearbox. Your must be pulling almost 4,000rpm at 110kph, that was the biggest negative about the 2.4 when I was looking, after having the same thing with the Ford[Mazda]
The 2.4 was otherwise the pick of the bunch for engine refinement I thought.
If you ever get the chance to score the LSD out of a GLX 2.5 or 3.2 diesel it will reduce your rpm by 20% which is 2,880rpm at 100kph instead of the current 3,600rpm I noted testing one. Lots more traction in the wet and on gravel too.

Can't get over 15.13L/100km!!!!!! Got to be a candidate for sequential LPG and one of the best engines for it too.
sierra

Postby grasshopper on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Yo All,
See my edited post for the correct figures.
Apologies for my mix up.
Fuel usage REAL WORLD = 8.19 Ks/ltr or 12.24 lt/100Ks.
Cheers,
grasshopper

Postby Auslander on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Grasshopper,

12l odd per 100 is abit high, Although i had 2.4 rodeo a few years ago and that had roughly the same usage figures. Sounds like they are a pretty sturdy vehicle as well. I like you, will only occasionally be carrying stuff, so an excellent scale for me.

Sierra,
You have the 2.5 diesel? I was looking at this vehicle as well as the 2.4 petrol, what sorta figures you get on that? also any issues with the motor? Plus the fact the 2.5 has stock cruise control appeals to me.

I was mainly going for the 2.4 due to cost reasons. (mainly to keep the missus happy) but after owning my current vehicle, a ford focus diesel and returning as little as 4.6l per 100k, my heart was always keen on the 2.5d triton. But to keep the missus happy was willing to go for the cheaper option of the 2.4 petrol. But diesel economy is very compelling, plus the fact i do alot of long trips to the farm down to Wingham NSW and cruise control makes for a very comfy trip.

Thanks again grassy for the info mate.
Auslander

Postby grasshopper on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Yo Auslander,
Warwick Mits dealer has an 08 model 4x2 petrol 2.4 for drive away under $18 000.
Has alum tray fitted too.
Could be a decider for you?
Cheers,
grasshopper

Postby sierra on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Auslander wrote:Sierra,
You have the 2.5 diesel? I was looking at this vehicle as well as the 2.4 petrol, what sorta figures you get on that? also any issues with the motor? Plus the fact the 2.5 has stock cruise control appeals to me.

Auslander,
Yes and here's that reply to you below, in italics, from June that I mentioned. It answers your questions.
I've done almost 4,000km. No issues with the motor. Average 8.3L/100km last was 7.9L/100km nearly all city driving.

Re: 2.4 cab chassis

Postby sierra on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 am
Auslander,
After spending months researching the various Triton single cab chassis versions hopefully I can throw some constructive comment on the table? If you haven't bought one yet?
I retired early nearly 11 years ago to the hills and bought a Ford Courier 2.6 petrol 5 speed tray top to replace my 2 year old WRX after I threw the first and last bale of hay in the boot. Amazingly I kept that 5 year old with 50,000km private km[$8,000] for nearly 9 years[a record] and felt right at home from day one. Practical and reliable.
It did have shortcomings that needed to be addressed when I lashed out on a new replacement. Those were no power steering, fuel consumption, low engine gearing, no ABS, no LSD, low ride height.
The 2.5 diesel answers all those problems and has cruise control, power windows and central locking, so I bought one for $21,000 on the road when they were clearing 2008 build date stock.
The 3.5 V6 auto drives very well. It's effortless with very quick acceleration up to 100kph and is smooth and quiet with about 2,200rpm showing at 100kph. The V6 manual was dissappointing, it showed the engine to be boring and breathless, certainly less punchy than the 2.5CRD.
I didn't drive the diesel auto but would feel sure it's a good combo and looking at the tech specs the 2.5 diesel seems to get the same manual and auto boxes as the 3.2CRD and V6, in fact it probably gets the same drive train right through to the back wheels and should be bullet proof combined with the light weight.
I drove the 2.4 petrol a couple of times and could have had one for $18,200 on the road at the time.
The engine has been around for ages but i liked it for it's smooth torque and strong top end, a much better engine for the manual than the boring V6. The big downside is the gearing with 3,600rpm at 100kph. It's geared for working about town and not sitting on 110 - 120kph for 5 hours on a country run with a heady 4,000+rpm chewing the juice and life of the engine. That's the big draw back plus no ABS or LSD etc. Let's face it, with the light back end you can easily lock up the rear brakes in the wet if you need to jump on the anchors through a bend and modulating the pedal is the only way out of the self induced hand brake turn, been there, done that[more than once]

That's about it really. The petrol engines can be converted to LPG and cut 40% from the fuel cost with big subsidies for private use. If you get or got a diesel, use something like BP because some of the servos have crap 46 cetane fuel that quickly makes the engine unhappy on boost.

sierra

Return to Warranty/Recalls