The many Issues with Power Loss and surging and other things

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: The many Issues with Power Loss and surging and other things

Postby subi_man on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 am

Hey Racer, disconnecting your battery overnight might make a difference. I find it's it's always worth a try as it costs nothing bar 5 mins of your time 8-) (oh and the time to reprogamme the radio stations :lol: )
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 am

Racer wrote:I have notice over the last couple of weeks, sometimes starting in the morning or idling at traffic lights it idles rough.

Mine started to do this just prior to 45K service. Not so much running rough but the vibrations through the cab have increased quite a bit. I haven't put a great deal of thought into it but initially thought an engine mount might have let go. I don't get any stick movement on take-off though to suggest this. I might have to give it an overnight rest as Subi suggests. Going to have to guess on the radio stations though as I don't have that dodgy display anymore. :roll:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:06 am

Probably the mud from the border track and hills trips greedy. :lol: :roll:

I have had the surging at low throttle so they reflased it and that has done bugger all. It goes in for a new manifold in the next week or so. I'll see if that fixes the problem. :roll:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dero on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 am

Well it has been 4 weeks with no problems since I removed the EGR plate and had the reflash.
I am averaging 8.3 - 8.6 L/110Kl on all trips Sydney - Newcastle and I do at least 3/week.
I have also started adding 2 stroke oil at each tank fill and that has made a difference to the engine response and overall noise.
Will be doing a trip out to West Wylong next week so interested to how it gets along on country roads.

EGR plate definitely didn't help.

Need to find another way of blocking the EGR.

Definitely "LOVE THAT CAR"
Dero

Postby Dero on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 am

Well it has been 4 weeks with no problems since I removed the EGR plate and had the reflash.
I am averaging 8.3 - 8.6 L/110Kl on all trips Sydney - Newcastle and I do at least 3/week.
I have also started adding 2 stroke oil at each tank fill and that has made a difference to the engine response and overall noise.
Will be doing a trip out to West Wylong next week so interested to how it gets along on country roads.

Dero

Postby mad992 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Dero wrote:Will be doing a trip out to West Wylong next week so interested to how it gets along on country roads.

well let us all know how you go dero
mad992

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

2 stroke oil.. what tha.. Can somone explain it o me .. I want to try it... Start a new thread somone...
GLX-R Alex

Postby daryn on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:17 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:2 stroke oil.. what tha.. Can somone explain it o me .. I want to try it... Start a new thread somone...

ALex, it is here already http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3724
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dero on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Tried the EGR plate back in on Wednesday and guess what.

Thursday morning on the way to Newcastle. Back to its old trick. Loss of power and cruise control.

Even tried it with a 3/32 hole to equalise the pressure. No difference.

The plate stays out.

A bit of carbon can go thru at the moment. The dealer can fix when it stuffs up.
Dero

Postby grox on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Unfortunately Dero I think your right . After latest reflash my car only lasted 40km till the loss of power scenario . I tried up to a 4mm hole no diff .( Ive had plate + wastegate for about 7500k's b4 that) The only mechanic I half trust at the dealership seemed pretty confident about the latest mapping . He said the same thing ie you got warranty let the dealer fix it if a problem
grox

Postby mad992 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:49 pm

ok dero, and grox im with you guys on this one ive chucked the plate out the door and surprise havent had any issues, just a powerful smooth running diesel
with no silly ENGINE LIGHT so until we find a better way to stop sucking soot ,my tri stays standard cause ill get the dealers workshop to fix any carbon issues in the future 8-)
mad992

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:32 am

Im also tempted to chuck my plate, did you get some turbo lag back? My limp home is very infrequent so it doesnt bother me so much. If it did i would also ditch the soot stopper.
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:41 am

I'm surprised to see you say that Alex! :shock:
Am I the only one that's had no problems? 5000km since I blanked it[touch wood]
Any chance the Mits ECU flash is also targeting blanked systems or just crossing the limits earlier? :?
sierra

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Alex i took my plate out to see if there was much diff. I did get some lag back but the tri seemed smother but not anymore powerful my pasenger said it was a lot quiter. I had my plate in from 3000km's had some power losses got reflash with plate still in @7000km's had more power losses.Took plate out @10000km's left it out for the week but couldn't stand the thought of the soot ,put plate back in turned the tri on yesterday morning and got my first light :evil: (week after putting the plate back in)not sure where to go on this, plate in or out but i much prefere the performance with plate in (when not suffering power loss).
The thing that i do notice is when the plate is in i get alot more feed back out of my snorkle and one of the things i noticed the most is a pressure release noise like what you would expect from a external waste gate opening when this happens i feel i drop some power about the same as a aircon cutting in and the pitch in the snorkel changes this pressure drop is more often then not pre 3000rpm so not at a point that i would expect the pressure to be at excesive levels I have not changed anything but the EGR plate.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:17 pm

NTBB wrote:The thing that i do notice is when the plate is in i get alot more feed back out of my snorkle and one of the things i noticed the most is a pressure release noise like what you would expect from a external waste gate opening when this happens i feel i drop some power about the same as a aircon cutting in and the pitch in the snorkel changes this pressure drop is more often then not pre 3000rpm so not at a point that i would expect the pressure to be at excesive levels I have not changed anything but the EGR plate.

That could be the throttle partially closing the intake but the exhaust can't compensate because it's blanked off and the wastegate is dumping the excess boost.
If's that's correct :? :? :? :? then turning off the throttle butterfly so it's left open might solve the problem?
The check engine code also relates to manifold pressure which fits.
:? :? :? :?
sierra

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks sierra that makes a lot of senes i wish i could tell you the code but haven't had the scan gauge aproved by the MOWAF. with the au at a high they should be cheaper by now and now i have a code to clear maybe that would get it accross the line :lol: disconecting the throttle valve is still in the R&D stage i think i will wait untill it gets sorted out by the boffins at triton.com before i give it a go.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:34 pm

So if the throttle butterfly closes partially to let EGR gas in and the EGR supply is blocked, that would limit power and explain the limp home feeling with no ECL. Maybe im going to go out and unplug my throttle body. Yes it wil thow an instant check light but it wil be related to the dissconection. If i get no limp home mode from now on ( The power loss limp) we know that the combination of throttle body closed/blanked EGR is the cause..

The closed throttle body and blanked ingestion of EGR pipe would choke the power thus go limp with no code. Am i making sense. Have i had too much VB, I dont know. Time for another. I still need the electrical schematic for the throttle body so i can make a bypass plug. , I cant read those manuals now cause im running on windows 7

Im gona go unplug it now and go for a drive..
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:05 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Im gona go unplug it now and go for a drive..

NOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Blanking plate, throttle dissconnected AND VB bad idea!!!!!
:o
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:25 am

Some observations after dissconnecting the throttle body...

If you clear the code for the dissconnection after startup, id will not re-occure for the full length of your drive. It feels good with it not opperating. I have not had any limp home from the EGR yet.

You can really feel the difference with less engine braking on deceleration . Obviously it closes on deceleration so as to inhale EGR smoke. The slightly longer shutdown time, 1 second average doesnt bother or concern me in any way.

I think we just need to know where to fit the jumper/s for that throttle body plug so the ECU detects its connected on start up only. Once its past that stage it doest care, as when i cancel the code after start up with the scangauge it does not re detect and throw a code..

Any one can post the throttle body wiring schematic to the ecu so i can study it. The jumper bypass may only need to be one small one at the ecu and not in the engine bay..

AK
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:46 am

Good to hear the same results that RHK Triton has been getting.
The engine braking is very marked on mine and when you think about it the blanking plate would increase the inlet restriction and might be another trigger for manifold pressure problems?
We seem to be getting somewhere at last, thanks to NTBB listening the snorkle, fingers crossed!
We could use a switch. On for start up then off when running and switch it back on to turn the engine off but there has to an easier way?
If it stops the limp problems it's win win win and all those discarded blanking plates can go back in?
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 am

There will be an easer way, Just needs to think its plugged in on start up..
GLX-R Alex

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 am

Wiring tested... Those 12V will be to drive the DC motor in the throttle to move the butterfly, The 5V will be some sort of reference voltage. Ive found in the past that processor inputs are normally in the 1 to 5V range, when the ECU cant see any sensor output within that range it will display a fault. So when we dissconnect it it doesnt get the mimimum 1V for example. If i get the diagram of the processor inputs and throttle body ill get it.

Click to view larger picture
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Good work!
Just checked mine has the same wiring, it does.
Take this with a pinch of salt but could you measure the current the motor for the butterfly is drawing and put a resistor of that value between the 2 green wires to by pass the motor?
:?
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:54 pm

my truck is going great with the throttle body dissconected..if this stops the limp home modes with the egr plate fitted, its the begining of the solution..
GLX-R Alex

Postby Dero on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Just had two weeks out at West Wylong. The car went fantastic - no problems at all.
Filled the car tonight and checked the consumption. 802 Kl on 65.13 litres.
I have no complaints at all. It is better than the Nissan Xtrail 2.5 I had before.
Dero

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls