ECU reflash ML13_003 Results thread..

What were your warranty claims and recall information

ECU reflash ML13_003 Results thread..

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:31 am

So it looks like everyone is going in and getting the ML13_003 ECU upgrade reflash. Mine was done yesterday while i had it in for the 7500Km service. Use this thread to post your results, Symptoms before the upgrade and impressions after.
Also include your modifications....

Truck: 2009 GLX-R 3.2 7500km on the clock
Mods: EGR blanking plate and boost wound up to 16.4psi
Symptoms: Chucks a limp home mode about once a fortnight which resets after a restart.. (I told the dealer doing limp homes but didnt tell him the EGR was blanked)

My impression after the reflash is that the boost is coming on earlier with less of a step up in power as it boosts. The throttle responce is a tad better and overall power up in the revs is the same.

So i think what has changed in the new program is the low end fuel map. more fuel down low to smooth the transition into the boost to stop the surgeing...

I will report IF i get another limp home from my EGR blank. Im also thinking they have changed the upper and lower limits of the map sensor so it cant go out of range into fault condition.

No mention or penalisation of my mods were even mentioned or noticed by the dealer... :lol:
GLX-R Alex

Re: ECU reflash ML13_003 Results thread..

Postby subi_man on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:46 am

Alex did you get the description for the ML13-003 fix? I will add it to the Sticky

(eg. Hotline Fix No. ML 13-001 "ECU reflash" (for injector noise))

Cheers 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:42 pm

Somthing to do with surging... Il check the invoice at work on monday..
GLX-R Alex

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:53 pm

the service tech read it out to me "symptoms are surging under light acceleration"....
It fixed the surge which means no more bunny hops in carparks :D ..and the tri is also a lot quiter :D ..But it did not fix the power loss issue :evil:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 pm

NTBB wrote:the service tech read it out to me "symptoms are surging under light acceleration"....
It fixed the surge which means no more bunny hops in carparks :D ..and the tri is also a lot quiter :D ..But it did not fix the power loss issue :evil:

Suppose it's the fuel pressure relief valve sticking as already noted?
Can you think of any way to free it up to prove the point?
:? :?
sierra

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Suppose it's the fuel pressure relief valve sticking as already noted?
:? :?[/quote]
with patto's faulting near the dealer maybe MMAL might be able to pin point the problem then they can issue a re-call because if a massive loss of power is not a safety issue what is???(maybe a dose of 2t might be just the lube the valve needs) :lol:
NTBB

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 pm

NTBB wrote:(maybe a dose of 2t might be just the lube the valve needs) :lol:

That sounds like a good idea!
Wish i'd thought of that.
:? :oops:
sierra

Postby Homer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:09 pm

NTBB wrote:Suppose it's the fuel pressure relief valve sticking as already noted?

with patto's faulting near the dealer maybe MMAL might be able to pin point the problem then they can issue a re-call because if a massive loss of power is not a safety issue what is???(maybe a dose of 2t might be just the lube the valve needs) :lol:[/quote]

Yes but you'd think steering lockup when making hard steering corrections would be too :evil:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes but you'd think steering lockup when making hard steering corrections would be too :evil:[/quote]

Good point homer i suposes we will have to wait untill a new triton member can post a hot fix number up.
I feel sorry for all thoses non new tri members getting told by stealers that it is just a chartristic of the vehical.(that reminds me i must pay my subscription well worth the coin)
NTBB

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 pm

No issues to report from a full weekend driving... Truck feels better overal lafter the reflash :D
GLX-R Alex

Postby Blue on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:12 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:No issues to report from a full weekend driving... Truck feels better overal lafter the reflash :D

Give it a week Alex, give it a week - my limp modes are becoming more and more frequent, 3 today including one check engine light (P0106-MAP), 1 yesterday, 2 the day before and so on...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 am

Spoke too soon.. Chucked a limpy with no code or check light on the way to the airport this morning.. Was cruising through the lane cove tunnel at 80kph when it suddenly jumped out of cruise control... I knew what had happened and accelerated.. There was none.

Pulled over into a breakdown bay, Turned it off for 10 seconds and restarted... All ok again...

I dont want to pull my EGR out cause i dont want the soot..

What we need is a smarty bum with a laptop and the correct software to close our EGR valve full time. I have reflashed many Danfoss Hydraulic controllers on some power units at work and i know its just a matter of ticking the odd box or two and then sending it to the processor.. :|
GLX-R Alex

Postby borngeek on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 am

So its when idling along and as you went up hill a bit it starts to increase RPM to climb and cruise die / limp mode?
Thats how i caused mine (at about 90kph). I think the auto jumped out of OD to climb at the exact moment..
Some sensor is seeing too much temp/gas whatever at the low revs? Did your scanguage show an error??

found attached schematic from service manual..

PS> was your aircon on by any chance

---from manual:
The electronically controlled EGR system consists of an EGR valve, engine-ECU and sensors.
The EGR valve aims at reducing the amount of NOx (nitric oxide) discharge that increases with the rise in the exhaust gas temperature. Thus, the engine-ECU optimally controls the exhaust gas temperature in accordance with the operating conditions of the engine.
To further improve the exhaust gas reduction performance, the system provides the engine-ECU feedback on the EGR valve opening. Thus, it effects EGR control to optimize the operating conditions of the engine.

AK500426AC00ENG.png
?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am

It sounds like dropping out of cruise is a symptom/result of the power loss and the cause is from the EGR process ECU sampling. The only thing that makes sense is manifold pressure is not responding as it should? What else could it be?
It can't be the fuel pressure relief valve, it's not part of the sampling field on that diagram.
Assuming A/C is air con and it shuts? the EGR valve when it comes on load that signal could be used to disable it?
Perhaps it works the other way and the opening EGR valve shuts off the A/C?
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Can anyone post the actual wiring schematic, i need to study it...

If i can fault find million dollar rigs with 4 processors i can understand this shi box..
GLX-R Alex

Postby boycee on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Well had mine in for the reflash today. What a load of crap. They said it fixed the surging (bull S#@t).
I am pissed as they had the car there most of the day. I dropped it off at 7:30 am third car there drove past at 11am and the car was still sitting where I parked it :evil: Got a phone call around 2ish saying it was done and fixed.
They are ordering a new manifold so I will wait till then to see if that fixes it. One good thing was that i didn't get charged for the loan car.

Is there a way I can check if the reflash has been done. where is the computer so i can check for finger marks or something. It is still the same as it went in. :roll:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 am

mine limped yesterday :cry:
been trying hard to do it! Its hard to recreate but definately is low rev pickup that causes it. i always seem to go thru a extended dip (where zero throttle position by cruise to keep under speed set and hits a smallish hill and has to pickup throttle quick to maintain speed...)
I think i may have touched the throttle myslef too (thru habit) rather than allow cruise to pickup throttle but unsure..
I know its hard to recreate for me!
The only diff yesterday to most days of trying was: a. Hotter day , b. aircon was on (dont use aircon much and may be irrelevant..?? - BTW mine is as cold as the driven snow)

Theres 4 pics to the ECU schematic. The 4th being the starter (glow/ignition) system which wont post doe to attach limit but can if someone wants?

The other interesting part is the listing of various amperage and voltages that define the cars state to the ECU.. Its hard to export this as its outside print area (to make copying harder i presume) so its hard to PDF it out. I have service manual work on xp, vista, W7, ie8 etc for those who keen to chk out themselves.. I cant see whay aircon needs to report anything to a ECU??

I am seeing the benifits now of going MRT, DP chip etc now. (cause they have done this work and are holding their cards close..)
Working out ourselves is more fun but isnt it?? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:07 am

Listen, there is no way i can justify the costs of a mrt reflash, my wife just wont wear it and neither will i.

Im happy to cop the odd limp home untill i resolve the problem..

What software is required to see the ecu infomation. I might go see the kid down the road who has an Evo 9 lancer... He told me ge fiddles the software using his laptop all the time... A cable is easy enough to get.

Give me some time to nut this out. Tuners cant be like god and be the only ones with software able to edit ecu paramiters..
GLX-R Alex

Postby liamb on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 am

I think the lancer and the Triton will use the same software as they both use the same ecu type as that is what MRT use to tune both cars. I am sure the trick is to fool the ecu into thinking the EGR valve is open while we want it closed. The issue is to work out what other sensors the ecu looks at while the EGR is open and closed especially closed as this is what we want to fool the ECU into seeing.
I wish I had the software and the knowledge, I always like tuning older cars as it is much easier to fiddle with carbies and tuning. I don't understand the black art of electronics enough but I am sure it is just logic steps to get what we want.

Cheers

Bill
liamb

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 am

Ill go see the dude with the evo later in the week when i get hoe from this job, Im on my mobile so i cant look it up.. Can someone do some google searching into sotware to read and edit ecu ..
GLX-R Alex

Postby subi_man on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 am

GLX-R Alex wrote:Ill go see the dude with the evo later in the week when i get hoe from this job, Im on my mobile so i cant look it up.. Can someone do some google searching into sotware to read and edit ecu ..

In the past I have dabbled a bit with OpenECU stuff - might be relevant for you Alex... http://forums.openecu.org/

Hope that helps 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby liamb on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:13 am

for GLX_R Alex

from the MRT ECU posts
As the software we use (EcuTek) is designed to interface directly with
the OEM interface and chipset, I can't confirm how fitment of the DP
chip will impact things. If the DP chip upgrade runs the same protocols
as the OEM chipset then programming won't be an issue, however you won't
see cumulative gains (eg DP chip gives 20hp over standard, EcuTek tuning
gives 40hp, you won't get 60hp!). ECU mapping is designed to get optimal
gains from your engine, DP do so via a chip upgrade, we will do so via
an upgrade to your OEM ECU but both will involve changing several of the
same settings (fuel delivery, boost control, injection timing, etc,
etc).

Bill
liamb

Postby sierra on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 am

GLX-R Alex wrote:Ill go see the dude with the evo later in the week when i get hoe from this job, Im on my mobile so i cant look it up.. Can someone do some google searching into sotware to read and edit ecu ..

Here's a start.

http://www.limitless.co.nz/

Supported Mitsubishi Vehicles:
1) Supports ALL USA/EUROPEAN/JAPANESE/ Mitsubishi Vehicles.
ALL Mitsubishi Vehicles with a 16pin OBDII connector, or 12pin connector, all Mitsubishis from 1994 onwards have one of these...
HighSpeed Datalogging - 200 dataitems per second!
Mitsubishi Evo 4/5/6/7/8/9/10, GSR/RS/GTA/FQ, Lancer, Legnum, Eclipse, FTO, Galant, VR4, Colt, Mirage/Mivec Mirage, L200/L400* only works on particular Mitsubishi Diesel Vehicles, 3000GT, Pajero/Shogun, Diamante, Outlander, Montero, Magna, Expo, Verada, Delica, Spacegear/SpaceWagon/SpaceStar/SpaceRunner, Dodge Stratus, Eclipse GT/GS, Grandis, Carisma

From a forum,
I had direct discussion with the Evoscan developers. It will not work with the DID / CRD motors and they appeared to have little intention of making it do so. They stated that it would work on the petrol models.

Should work on the V6 and 2.4?

I have just received my evoscan cable and it worked first time, I have a Petrol NM Exceed 2003. Lots to learn of course. I can even press a button and turn the radiator fan on so its working in both directions. After a short drive I have heaps of information logged and gauges working. Its great to be able to replay your data later.

ECUFlash doesn't list Tritons but it's a general purpose tool?

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash
Register Now to Download EvoScan v2.6 - $25US
Last edited by sierra on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sierra

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am

Im sure thats the software the ganstadown the road with the evo has, that maans i may be able to just get the software install file off him, Ill go see him saturday morning..
GLX-R Alex

Postby liamb on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 am

I had a look at the website and I want one of those touch screen things. It seems to have most of the things you would want! Data logger/ reflasher/ GPS/ DVD MP4 player! and cables with the software already installed!
I am looking into it as they do say it will only work on some Mitsi Diesels!
Would love on though! imagine trying to get number like MRT are getting!

Bill
liamb

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls