Log books and factory warranty. Dodgy dealer?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Log books and factory warranty. Dodgy dealer?

Postby Eug on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi all. I have been browsing through the forums and have found a wealth of info, so thank you to everyone for contributing and sharing ideas.

I've been inspecting a few ML GLX-Rs lately and just today drove 6 hours (3 hours each way) to inspect and test drive a car. I made sure to be explicitly clear over the phone to XXXXX dealer prior to inspection that the car had complete log books and that it was in a condition that I was happy to drive the distance for.

Upon inspection of the log book I have found the following:
oil change @ 5000km
oil change @ 10000km
1st regular service @ 15000km (by a BP service station - no stamp just hand written)
oil change @ 20000km
2nd regular service @ 30000km (by Pickerings Auto group - stamped)
oil change @ 45000km (by XXXXX dealer)

the car is currently on 53000km, so according to the log books it's missed the 3rd regular service at 45000km. the XXXXX dealer says they performed the oil change at 45000km themselves when they did the road worthy.

my annoyance to them was that the log book is what i would consider incomplete and i would think that this would ultimately null/void the mitsubishi warranty. XXXXX dealer kept pushing the fact that the oil change would be sufficient for mitsubishi and that they would honour the warranty and that they've sold thousands of cars like that with no problems.

i called mitsubishi and they said that yes it would be void especially since the 15000km was just a hand written entry. however they wanted a copy of the log book to be 100% definite.

i called back XXXXX dealer to ask if they could fax a copy of the log book, as apart from that issue i was quite happy with the car and prepared to buy it. however the 5 year warranty is one of the reasons why i'm looking at a triton, if i showed mitsubishi the log book and they said yes then i would have put a deposit on it. XXXXX dealer immediately claimed that the car was gone. i called back a little while later as another buyer and it was still up for grabs.

here are my questions/observations and i would like your opinions/comments on them:
1. would a BP service station hand written entry null the warranty?
2. does it seem dodgy that the dealer had the car for 8000km? (assuming they really did the RWC at 45000km)
3. i'm thinking that they got the car at 5xxxxkm and back dated the 45000km to try and cover the missed service

i suppose i am partly venting out since i wasted half a day driving to inspect a car that i wouldn't have gone to see if the dealer had been completely honest about log books. am i over analysing here?

thanks for the forum thus far, i'll keep looking through it and will continue looking for a car.
cheers
eugene
Eug

Re: Log books and factory warranty. Dodgy dealer?

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:42 am

i reckon even without the issues of the 15k service, the warranty would fall over at the 45k service, as there's far more work to be carried out at the 45k service than just an oil change.

my understanding is anyone (being a registered mechanic ABN etc) can service the vehicle without stuffing the warranty as long as its serviced as per the book requirements.

Are you doing business with a dealership or a car yard?- from what you've said it sounds like the latter.

add your location to your profile, the members here might be able to keep a look out for decent truck for you.
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Eug on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 am

it was an average sized car yard

i didn't know about registered mechanic, i thought it just had to be an approved mitsu workshop.

my thoughts exactly regarding the 45000km. they kept insisting that it would hold up and kept pushing the 5 year warranty as a selling point. part of the reason as to why i'm looking at the triton is the 5 year warranty for piece of mind.

i will add the location now.

thanks
Last edited by Eug on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eug

Postby johno on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 am

cyberhonky wrote:Are you doing business with a dealership or a car yard?-

If you question Mitsubishi,(that's head office, not who you are purchasing from!!) about the warranty in detail, i think you will find if your warranty book doesn't have a dealers name(and stamp!) in in that they can contact for proof of actual work done, they will not honor the warranty, plus it will not be covered for road side assistance if not serviced by a dealer every 12 months.
Best of luck in your search.....
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby eroled on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 am

Hi there what were they asking for the GLXR, is it petrol manual. Im just curious what they are worth second hand.
OUR SCARS REMIND US THE PAST IS REAL
BEFORE I GROW OLD AND WISE I MUST GET OVER BEING YOUNG AND STUPID
eroled

Postby Eug on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 am

They were asking $32K drive away.
2007 Turbo diesel with 53,000km with aftermarket bullbar and spot lights.
Eug

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 am

johno wrote:
cyberhonky wrote:Are you doing business with a dealership or a car yard?-

If you question Mitsubishi,(that's head office, not who you are purchasing from!!) about the warranty in detail, i think you will find if your warranty book doesn't have a dealers name(and stamp!) in in that they can contact for proof of actual work done, they will not honor the warranty, plus it will not be covered for road side assistance if not serviced by a dealer every 12 months.
Best of luck in your search.....
Cheers Johno

if you're suggesting (or MMA is suggesting) that only a car dealership can service your vehicle to retain warranty, that's a crock. anti-competitive legislation took care of that.
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby johno on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am

cyberhonky wrote:if you're suggesting (or MMA is suggesting) that only a car dealership can service your vehicle to retain warranty, that's a crock. anti-competitive legislation took care of that.

NO...that's not what I'm suggesting, what i am saying is it has to be traceable! (stamped by a recognized,certified, mechanical establishment)
But it is MMA policy that you have your mitsi serviced (by one of there dealers!!) once in a 12 month period if you want to retain your roadside assistance.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby eroled on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 pm

53000 kms + bull bars and extras + turbo ,diesel ,manual = $32000 = happy motoring.
Not a bad buy ,probally about $45000ish new.
cheers Phil
OUR SCARS REMIND US THE PAST IS REAL
BEFORE I GROW OLD AND WISE I MUST GET OVER BEING YOUNG AND STUPID
eroled

Postby Eug on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 am

problem is only one log book entry was stamped, the rest were hand written which is quite suspect. the 45,000km service was missed and only an oil change was done.

so basically from 30,000 - 53,000 only one oil change. with a turbo vehicle i'd like to make sure the oil is at least well looked after. not to mention, coolant and other filters and fluids which have been ignored during that time. any other car would have had 2 services within that period.
Eug

Return to Warranty/Recalls