running erratically/engine failure?!!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

running erratically/engine failure?!!

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 am

hi guys any one had this problem before.
whilst driving home from work yesterday noticed the engine change revs at idle by 100rpm, thought this was strange, only has 43600km on the clock, rang the dealer booked it in for a 45000km service and engine inspection as it was running erratically, the dealer said not a problem booked in friday wont be a problem. started the triton this morning and the engine is running very erratically very noisy sound like it has dropped a piston ring it is that bad, took off the oil fill cap and the air pressure comming out of the cap is extreme. was not going to chance engine failure on the way to work so had to cab it, any one else come accross this.
GLSTOY

Re: running erratically

Postby patto on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 am

Mate when i was going through all my problems with my first truck, i to was shocked with the amount of Air pressure in the block - but i was advised that this was normal of them.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Engine f@#%#?g Failure

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 pm

have tried to have the triton picked up today by road side assistants, and guess what they dont tow tritons they weight is to much for the tow truck, my arguement was that they gave me road side for the triton so it should cover it, but no they would only send someone out to look at it, the guy told me what i already diagnosed, its only running on three cylinders, now i have to pay for a tow truck, and they will access wheather it is warranty or not, now it has not even done 45000kms. it has not been swimming and has not been under to much load, doesn't even have tow bar. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: not a happy camper.
GLSTOY

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm

:evil: its engine failure only running 3 cylinders
GLSTOY

Re: Engine f@#%#?g Failure

Postby trouble on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:27 pm

they wont pay for a tow, well what is the roadside assist for then..................that's F#$king shit good luck with it mate
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:28 pm

thanks trouble, hopefully they will come good, no tow so road side assist is rubbish.
GLSTOY

Postby sam on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:29 pm

New engine under warranty then I guess ;)
sam

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:31 pm

well judging by the symptoms i certainly hope so.
GLSTOY

Postby izzy74 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your failure. I always thought that Mitsu's roadside assist covered towing and I have let my RACQ roadside assist lapse :? I may have to re assess that decision. It sounds a little odd what they have told you about coverage as I thought roadside assist was exactly what it claimed to be, can anybody confirm that towing is not covered (is GLSTOY just being messed around) :?: Once again sorry to hear about your problems, GOOD LUCK :)
izzy74

Postby jimmy on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:35 pm

thats bullshit, they towed mine on the back of a flat top when i broke a spring and it was too dangerous to drive
after Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF
jimmy

Postby GLSTOY on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:35 pm

its even written in black and white in the road side assistant manual. which they dont tell you about till you need it, then to bad.
GLSTOY

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:46 pm

jimmy wrote:thats bullshit, they towed mine on the back of a flat top when i broke a spring and it was too dangerous to drive

errrrrr crab you mean ;)
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Maybe too heavy for some of the tow trucks that just lift the front wheels off the ground but no problem at all for a tilt tray.

My NRMA membership will never lapse. The manufacturer roadside assisitance programmes are a waste of time.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: running erratically/engine failure?!!

Postby PeterT on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:17 pm

I don't know what you guys say to people to have so much trouble, I put some unleaded petrol in the DiD by mistake a couple of weeks ago, realised what I'd done and pushed it away from the bowser(didn't start it) and rang mitsubishi, they had a tow truck(the one that pulls the vehicle up onto the tray) sent out to me and took it to my local dealer, all at no cost through roadside assist, I had to pay for them to drain the tank etc which is fair enough, but the roadside assist was brilliant.
PeterT

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

I rang roadside assist from the middle of Kosciuszko National Park and they were ready to send a truck out to take it to the nearest dealer for repairs. Sadly they weren't prepared to take my horse float and two horses with the truck so I chose to limp down the mountain instead. That and it might have taken them a while to find a truck to send :lol:

Sounds like you've copped a dud operator there (as well as the dud engine).

Has it been fixed yet?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:43 pm

After reading GLSTOY's problem with Road side assist, I quizzed my dealer a few weeks ago and he suggested that it should cover getting your vehicle back to a dealer. He said calls go to Mitsubishi who then use the respective RACV, etc under contract to fulfil the assist program. Sounds like GLSTOY's dealer is havin a go.

How'd it all pan out by the way?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:58 am

RHKTriton wrote:After reading GLSTOY's problem with Road side assist, I quizzed my dealer a few weeks ago and he suggested that it should cover getting your vehicle back to a dealer. He said calls go to Mitsubishi who then use the respective RACV, etc under contract to fulfil the assist program. Sounds like GLSTOY's dealer is havin a go.

How'd it all pan out by the way?
\

His story might hold some merit, I have RACV insurance for my home and MK Triton, I tried to get roadside assist for the missus but RACV stated the Triton (GVM) is too heavy to be towed and wouldn't sell the product to me...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:09 pm

so what about landcruisers, patrols etc.?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:16 pm

snowman wrote:so what about landcruisers, patrols etc.?

There was some discussion on ExploreOz a few years back where people couldn't get RA for Landrover/Cruiser/Patrol due to the GVM... It wasn't just RACV/RACQ/NRMA who were refusing...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:43 pm

maybe this topic is worth its own thread.

i blissfully pay for road assist or whatever NRMA call it now and have for as many years as i can remember.

if i ever finally have to use it and they tell me 'sorry, too heavy' i will be asking for my money back for all the years i have been paying for these two tritons!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:12 pm

I had my first MK towed off Fraser by RACQ. Granted the tilt tray that goes up there is a huge 4x4 thing, but would think that if they have vehicles capable to do it in one place, they would anywhere?

I bet if you didn't have NRMA cover and had to pay, there would be no trouble finding an NRMA licensed tilt tray to tow your Triton :roll: You've normally got to beat them off with a stick at accidents and there's occasional punch ups between drivers trying to get the work on the news..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Snowy, a few years ago, when I diverted from the True Path to Motoring Pleasure I traded my NH Pajero and bought a Land Rover Discovery. I broke down in Griffith, NSW. A good 5 hour trip from home, I rang the NRMA and when the serviceman turned up and couldn't fix it they then towed it back to the workshop (Mitsubishi dealer) and spent the rest of that day and the next morning trying to fix it. Meanwhile the NRMA put me up at a motel and the local mob gave me a Pajero demonstrator to drive so I could continue working.

When they eventually gave up on even diagnosing the problem they organised a tilt tray to take me and the car back to Canberra. Cost them $1500 I was told. I had numerous calls from the NRMA during and after this episode to see if I was OK. Unbelievable service.

My point here is that the Disco, which is much heavier than the Triton, was no problem at all for the tilt tray and after this I had to call NRMA a few more times when the thing continually died with the same problem. Again no drama.

Oh, the cause of all this? A $1.50 rotor button that was intermittently failing.

When it was eventually fixed I bought another Pajero.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:40 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Snowy, a few years ago, when I diverted from the True Path to Motoring Pleasure I traded my NH Pajero and bought a Land Rover Discovery. I broke down in Griffith, NSW...........

sorry mate i started laughing, very hard, right at this point........ :o :o :D :D

bloody great cars on paper though...... :P it's almost like Land Rover owners do it for the challenge, almost like motoring masochism, that they are proud of. :shock:

yes i have to say in the limited times i have had to use NRMA, and that includes insurance claims, they have been very good to me. A bit pricey for insurance now, but i continue with them.

i once had to call roadside assist twice in one day for two different cars i owned........mind you that was back in the younger days when my cars were, well, buckets of bolts. :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Did this get fixed or what was the problem???
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Return to Warranty/Recalls