MN Power steering fitting tightness.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

MN Power steering fitting tightness.

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:51 pm

This has probably been highlighted in another post but it might pay to check the power steering hoses at the steering rack on the MN Tritons.
After crawling around under my 2010 GLX-R I found a bit of an oil weep at the steering rack. Sure enough a quick check with a 17mm OE showed that the hydraulic lines were not tight. An easy fix but potentially dangerous if left loose.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Re: MN Power steering fitting tightness.

Postby Ben82 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Another one hey! You are the second person in a week to have posted about this problem, brownegaz has experienced simalar problems as have I except in our casses it took loss of steering power and all the fluid in the system to identify the problem. Wonder how many more there are.
Ben82

Postby trytin on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:22 am

My ML had the same issue
trytin

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Could be worse I suppose... Hate to think what would happen if Hu-Flung-Dung didn't torque up the big end caps... :o
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby richogore84 on Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 am

Yep. I had the same drama. It was the large keeper nut/gland that held the steel lines into the steering rack. Other than that I have had no other issues with the red rocket.
richogore84

Postby prof on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 am

Same problem for me, after an outback trip involving corrugated dirt roads, the pipe loosened enough at the steering rack to dump all the fluid , no power steering for 70km,s till I had a chance to look at it, the nut was only finger tight
prof

Postby glxr tourer on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Same thing happen to me 600km from home at 10.30 at night lucky I had the camper trailer on the back and went to turn around then my power steering gave birth next I know no pwr steering 5 months old Mn Triton over some corrugate as well .... mitsubshi roadside came out when I called them the next morning.it was racv not th3 diamond advantage guy to the rescue he told me it will have to be towed the camper and the car a 170klm from the birth and a day wait .. so thanks to you guys a tighten the loose nut I found and toped up the fluid good as a n3w triton
glxr tourer

Postby glxr tourer on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Same thing happen to me 600km from home at 10.30 at night lucky I had the camper trailer on the back and went to turn around then my power steering gave birth next I know no pwr steering 5 months old Mn Triton over some corrugate as well .... mitsubshi roadside came out when I called them the next morning.it was racv not th3 diamond advantage guy to the rescue he told me it will have to be towed the camper and the car a 170klm from the birth and a day wait .. so thanks to you guys a tighten the loose nut I found and toped up the fluid good as a n3w triton
glxr tourer

Postby Loneranger on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

I have a 2013 triton dual cab , the steering feels very heavy and sluggish when going slow , especially compared to my work ute 2013 ranger. Any ideas ?
Loneranger

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 pm

What tyre pressure are you running?

If your power steering fluid reservoir is still full it is probably not a leak at least.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Check your nuts boys!

Postby Juggz on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 am

Went for a bit of a play in the Brindies on the weekend and nearly fell off the side of the road because my power steering suddenly failed with no warning.

I dunno if you've driven one of these without it, not easy.

I got it home before I could properly get under it to find the problem, basically one of the nuts in the system randomly came loose and dropped all my fluid which in turn left me with no effective steering.

Just give your trucks a quick go over to make sure you're nuts are all tight in case this isn't an isolated case I guess.

I know it's been covered in the faults thread but this is more of a PSA :lol:

This was taken looking up with my head in line with the front wheels, gotta take the bash plates off to see it.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Juggz

Re: Check your nuts boys!

Postby borngeek on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:13 am

Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Toddyh on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 am

Yeah happened to plenty before. Happened to me in the Watagans once. I carry spare fluid with me everywhere now.
Toddyh

Postby Juggz on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:36 am

Haha yeah Geek, I did the customary search beforehand :lol: I figured my way was gonna be more effective at getting people to read it so some poor bastard doesn't NEARLY fall off a cliff :?
Juggz

Return to Warranty/Recalls