Jack under warranty??

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Jack under warranty??

Postby C@M on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 am

Hi guys,
This post may be a bit late but hopefully someone will see it and have an answer for me before the day is out.
I just dropped my GLXR ('10) into MIts. to get a service and asked them to fix or replace the jack as it has had one use and started pissing out hydrolic fluid.
So question is- should this be done under warrantee. My thoughs are it should as it is a genuine part, is a required feature for and sort of Roadworthy/Licensing and is obviously faulty. Not to mention the danger of a faulty jack.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
C@M

Re: Jack under warranty??

Postby steve1961 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

I would agree ... but i dont know ... but one would think they would in any case as good faith
steve1961

Postby Naff on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 am

I'd expect it would be under warranty, as long as there are no signs of miss-use.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby C@M on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.
Yes you would think for a first service it would make good business sense to replace it as an act of good faith- Im sure they can turn em out for $30 a pop. However if previous experience with this dealer is anything to go by I am dubious. If I need to kick up a stink I will but it will also be the last they see of me.
C@M

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:03 am

I would think it would be warranty, Note if in qld you dont need a jack or spare tyre for Roadworthy, not sure on other states but some cars dont even come with a Spare at All, some Peugeots!

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 am

I don't think it matters if you need it for roadworthy or not. It's part of what you paid for and was obviously faulty when new. Trade Practices Act and or your local Sale of Goods Act (most states have an equivalent) should be sufficient to see you entitled to a replacement or a repair (although repair by a stealer of an item like that seems unlikely).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 pm

i think the warranty clearly states what is covered or not.

for example batteries and clutches are not (or limited anyway).

unless it says the jack isn't then i reckon it should be covered. i've never used mine to be honest i just use my trolley one at home as it is heaps better.

good luck.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree with the others that it should be covered by warranty...........but......

I wouldnt be expecting a new jack today if they do decide to replace it..........it definately wouldnt be something a dealer service centre would have sitting on the shelf as stock!! ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Joe on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:28 pm

al coholic wrote:I agree with the others that it should be covered by warranty...........but......

I wouldnt be expecting a new jack today if they do decide to replace it..........it definately wouldnt be something a dealer service centre would have sitting on the shelf as stock!! ;)

....but I'd be trying to convince them to take one out of showroom stock.
Last edited by Joe on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby borngeek on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Absolutely yes! Will be covered for sure. How you meant to change a tyre without one. Safety item and kick up stink if they try to wriggle out! It's not as if you broke it. It is a faulty component of the vehicle....
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Will they take one out of a new car??? depends on the dealer.

I simply stated that it is not a mandatory Roadworthy item in QLD to have a spare tyre or a jack or tools to change it.

cheers
Lee-thal

Postby al coholic on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm

^^^I don't get that at all.........Its got nothing to do with roadworthy mate..............wouldnt you want a correctly working jack in the back of your truck incase you get a flat??? I sure as hell know i would :roll:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Jack under warranty??

Postby fridgie on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

snowman wrote:i think the warranty clearly states what is covered or not.

for example batteries and clutches are not (or limited anyway).

unless it says the jack isn't then i reckon it should be covered. i've never used mine to be honest i just use my trolley one at home as it is heaps better.

good luck.

X2. But now I need a bigger jack at home due to my lift :roll:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

The only reason that batteries and clutches and brake pads etc aren't covered the same way in the warranty is that they are inherently consumable - ie they wear out over time and it is expected that in due course they will require replacement.

That said if any of those items were to be totally faulty by the time you did your 1500km service then they'd have to be replaced under warranty irrespective of the limitations MMAL might put in the paperwork.

A vehicle jack isn't a consumable as far as I'm concerned, it ought to last the life of the vehicle even if used regularly.

I agree with the comments above though in terms of it not being a shelf item so you're going to have to come to some sort of arrangement. It's an essential on any view of things so unless they're going to source a new one within days I'd be pressing for something else, even if it's only a loaner to tide you over until MMAL coughs one up for your dealer.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby salt36 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Joe wrote:
al coholic wrote:I agree with the others that it should be covered by warranty...........but......

....but I'd be trying to convince them to take one out of showroom stock.

They probably will and leave the faulty one in the new car for someone else.... :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby johno on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

C@M wrote: it has had one use and started pissing out hydrolic fluid.

I agree with the others, you would think that they would replace it for you.
I would suggest you use a bit of charm and smile a bit when you talk to them about it,
you say it has only been used once!
How do they know that? did it lift your Triton or something else a bit too heavy?? :?
Here's hoping they just do the right think and replace it.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Return to Warranty/Recalls