power steer drop out proved to dealer

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Coled on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:42 am

Hi all,
Put my triton in today for steering column replacement and mentioned about the steering droping out after doing the test last night. Same story couldn't fault. Took service manager for drive and the same suprised look when it happened. Under investigation and they will call me back.:-)
Coled

Postby subi_man on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Had my power-steering pump replaced under warranty - certainly improved the drop-out, but it hasn't [i]completely[/i] disappeared. Happy with the result though :)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby High Country on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 am

Subi, was same as yours, when my pump was replaced too...........
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Re: power steer drop out proved to dealer

Postby CairnsGSE on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:08 pm

I now that there sounds like a problem here but I recon i could beat any power steering in any car. The only drama I have had in the two i've got is the work one had the steering column replace after a rattle complaint. owner initiated replacement
CairnsGSE

Postby scubapro on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:15 am

Guys I have finally won my fight with Mitsu on this problem

I went to a different dealer with these papers in my hand but the guy did not seem interested in it, so I thought here goes again more excuses.

However after an hour while I was in my local Anaconda store I got a call & the Guy said my stering was DANGEROUS whooopee someone finally took the time to check the steering properly. He was even concerned that I wanted to drive the ute home. But I had no choice as this is the only transport I have.

Anyway the part was ordered & is waiting for my ute first thing monday morning. I am not sure if I should name the Dealer for legal reasons but I reckon he treated me well & is going to fix a ute they did not even sell me.

The Dealership in on Parramatta Road at Lidcombe, I think good Dealers should be named & given our support.

Thanks to everyone that helped with information that eventually will get my ute fixed.
scubapro

Postby sts on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:22 pm

hey guys,

been a while since i have been back on this site. good to see you all still fighting the fight!

I ended up in a nasty battle about this steering problem but eventually the dealership gave in and bought my Triton back at the full retail price (plus all extra's) less a set rate per km. really happy with the deal and so stoked to be out of the 'nightmare'!

wishing you all the best luck.
sts

Postby Buzzy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:18 am

sts wrote:hey guys,

been a while since i have been back on this site. good to see you all still fighting the fight!

I ended up in a nasty battle about this steering problem but eventually the dealership gave in and bought my Triton back at the full retail price (plus all extra's) less a set rate per km. really happy with the deal and so stoked to be out of the 'nightmare'!

wishing you all the best luck.

Gee sts thats a hell of a deal, stealer buying back the car, never heard of that before well done.
Have you got another car yet?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sts on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Hey Buzzy,

Yup, not something that happens often. it was a long battle though. i must admit the dealership was really great, its not their problem at the end of the day. i was just really unhappy with the vehicle, i almost killed someone as a result of this steering issue!

I have purchased another vehicle, unfortunately i have changed brands due to the experience i had with the triton. new vehicle is great and the best part is that i have not had it back at the dealership since it left the floor! :D
sts

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm up for the 1,500km first service so tried out the steering thing.

August '08 build petrol, auto

Yep, low/1st gear 3000rpm's steering catches on hard side to side turning. Wasn't that bothered as at that speed nearly no loss of control.

However:

2nd gear 3000rpm's does the same thing. This is now at speeds where you may well require emergency turns or opposite lock slide control, so thinking this is certainly a safety issue.

I will take it to the dealer but I'm a bit concerned that if mine was built only 2 months ago, what are the chances of them having an 'upgraded' part?

I am thinking (hoping) this is more of a computer management issue as the p/s pump seems to work fine under all/most other conditions. If this is so, I could imagine a re-flash or some similar easy lap top fix in the offing?

I feel if I take it to the skid pan this issue will be a problem with high speed multi direction wet turns, drifting and slalem course where you are always under power.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Goldstorm on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Yeh well ,Had my pump replaced under warranty today (20/10-08). The steering is the best it has ever been since new. Time will tell.
I have also escalated the fault to Vehicle safety standards and recall in Canberra (ACT) at the Department of infrastructure,Transport Regional Development and Local Government. The phone number is 02-6274-7420 for those who also wish to call and report their faulty pump. The guy I spoke to on the phone was interested in the issue, I have faxed him the details. Lets hope it results in a recall before someone gets killed. I will keep you up to date on the outcome.
Goldstorm

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:41 am

Thanks goldstorm. Yes I reckon it is definitely a recall issue, particularly as people have had the problem since '06 and the latest model still has it.
The only time you carry out fast steering maneuvers is when you are in trouble - or trying to avoid trouble.
My car is going in on Friday, I'll see what develops, but I'll call the number you provided also.
Has your problem been totally fixed by the repair, and was it just replacing the pump itself?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Goldstorm on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:26 pm

23/10/08 - Had my car back for 5 days now and done nearly 800 kms. the steering is the best it has ever been and really a pleasure to drive. i think they also did a reflash as my trip meter went to zero and all my radio stations have gone to default. They car seems quieter and is going well. I am telling everyone I see who has a Triton to check out the power steering. i wont stop until I see a recall notice (nationwide)
Goldstorm

Postby High Country on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Homer - p/s not computer controlled.........

Goldstorm - don't hold yr breath waiting for it to happen........IMHO, this has been a issue for long enough really, & yet there are still Tritons getting around with this problem. Mitsi should just fix them & be done with it...........anyone know for sure that current new ones DON'T have this problem............??? :roll: :roll:
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 am

Yeah H/C mine was built August just gone- still the 2008 MY08, not '09. The diesel 2008 MY '09 that has been out a month or two might have changed??, but the petrol 2008 MY'09 is not due out for another month or so and at present has virtually zero changes to the MY'08.
The real 2009 MY'09 model may be different again. Confusing huh!

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Just had the first 1500km service, specifically told them of the steering issue, made him write down what to do to make it happen.
I just Picked it up and was told - normal steering operation for this vehicle. They all do it.

This is not the dealer I bought it off and it is a free service so I expected less help than I wanted, but it should all be a back charge to MrBishi so I see no reason not to do it.

I told them a copper drove it and said it was dangerous and had to be put off the road. Also I am informing the fed govt Vehicle Safety Branch.
They said they will contact Mitsubishi and will call me. I will believe that when I see (hear) it.

I must admit mine isn't excruciatingly bad, but it catches when returning to centre on sharp turns at 3000rpm.

Does anyone who has had the fix, have the steering still catch??? as I wonder if I have the new p/s pump and am being fussy??

I have the documents to complete for the Vehicle Recall Advisor. When I spoke to him on the phone he said it must be Triton month because that's all he's hearing about lately. His contact if anyone wants to add to the petition for a recall is "Pettersson Ross" <Ross.Pettersson@infrastructure.gov.au>

On the positive side, a guy was in for a minor elect problem with his Triton (had the usual stealer service experience so he was interested to see how I went) and we were talking. He was amazed that I knew all about the reflash he should have got, the flat spot, the lift shudder and which snorkels were available - when I have a stock standard petrol Triton that I've only owned 3 weeks. I wobbled my head like a good now it all does and then couldn't keep up the charade and wrote down this site address for him. I reckon hes a convert.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Homer,
According to the hotfix, Mitsi's were only ever going to change the pump if it happened below 1800 revs. Mine was changed and now seems satisfactory. I agree that it should have been a recall and whatever you can do to push this is great.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Oh OK, that's why they say they all do it.

Already faxed the form to the dept of motor vehicle safety. Should be fixed properly anyway.

Thanks Greedy

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm

I have exactly the same issue and i got told becasue i have 22's on the car that has caused the problem....Bull Sh1t! I'm going to get this fixed this time when i goes back in for service! 2007 model as well.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Install on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 pm

I have no issues with the power steering at all in my truck; no catching or isolation at any revs but they have just replaced the pump completely (30K service) as it was "breathing" at the reservoir bottle. They are replacing any pumps in trucks that have the "Oil Stain". The main shaft seal on the pumps is giving out; replacements have a different seal.
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby B dust on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 pm

I had the powersteering pump replaced and the new one is no better than the old one. Considering it has only traveled aroud 12000km and the dealer also said that they all do it.
B dust

Postby eicarsto on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 MN that has started to display the same symptoms as described...someone in the thread has described the feeling as "lumpy" and that's exactly what it feels like.

I have checked the bolts and they are tight. The PS fluid is also full...no leaks anywhere!

The steering is definitely heavier and on occasion, the best way to describe it is that it slips...If the steering wheel is centred and I turn the wheel slightly, its almost like the PS "wakes up" and engages. If I don't move the wheel back to centre, the wheel will stay in that position.

Scares the crap out of me, if ! am being honest.

I am taking it to the dealers tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas?

Its a 2012 MN with 45K on the clock.

Cheers,

eicarsto
eicarsto

Re: MN Power Steering Issues - Dangerous!

Postby Bennys on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah I had same thing happening. Would never happen while at Mitsubishi though. It's like the system has a delay it building pressure then suddenly kicks in. I reported it as sticky steering.
Had my regular mechanic do a flush. Been fine for last six months.
Bennys

Re: MN Power Steering Issues - Dangerous!

Postby Bennys on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Fyi the flush wasn't actually to fix that problem, had to get it done because the fluid cap eventually fell off (must have not tightened properly after checking) and I copped some Moreton Is sand into the bottle..
Bennys

Postby eicarsto on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 am

Update::

The dealer has phoned and informed me that the steering column needs replaced and the ignition barrel.

Not sure why the ignition barrel...but they agreed with me that the vehicle is unsafe to drive.

Should get it back tomorrow.

PS.. So far the dealers have been the best I have dealt with...I cant fault them.
eicarsto

Postby dan.batto on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

Funny this thread popped up! I had the exact symptoms from other posts. Tried to turn out of a street parking spot, ended up in the right lane struggling to get it back into the left lane with oncoming vehicles! Not good! Thought it was just me, clearly not!
dan.batto

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls