Very close shave

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Very close shave

Postby Joe on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Can't you find it and merge it Mr Mod :)

Edit: I've done half your job and found the thread mate.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6423&p=107409&hilit=tappet#p107409
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby borngeek on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm

dare i be a pest and say seperate?? i read those ones and just align with tappet adjustment than the issue that has been caused here.....

after 6 adjustments they replace the lines... in this example first tappet adjustment and pistons about to jump thru the head cause clearly the mechanic fk it up bigtime....

just my idiotic ideas :roll:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX_Rtist on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 am

I want to thank all of you for your responses. Overall it appears that we can only speculate that it may have been caused due to dodgy work by the dealer. In fact, any possible damage could have been completely prevented if they hadn't advised me to continue driving after I first called them to tell them I had a problem developing.

That's right, this is the part of the story I originally left out because it would have made it too long. I had a 'moment' approx 20km prior to where the major event happened. Same deal with the engine noise and smoke but it only lasted about 2 seconds before it all returned to normal. Obviously I realised that this was not a good sign so pulled over and called the roadside assistance number. They put me in touch with my dealership who listened to my explanation of what happened and advised me that so long as the engine light isn't on, I should be ok to continue driving (fine advice that was!).

Anyway, I am hoping to get her back today or tomorrow. I will ask them for a full explanation of what happened and so long as they don't baffle me with technical bullshit that I don't understand, I will post it here.

Thanks for all your replies. You folks are very knowledgeable and have made for some interesting reading.
GLX_Rtist

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 am

Get the explanation in writing!
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 am

Ahh good old "run on" A very frightening experience to see first hand! My mates shoot ute on the farm Landcruiser 2001 Ute 4L non turbo diesel was running on a few times over the weekend but all bar one time we could shut it off easily except the last time......It started to run on held at 6500 rpm for over 3 minutes smoke pouring out everywhere! I threw my rifle on the back and ran for the hills. My mate managed to starve it of air by sticking his hand up the air intake. We had noticed earlier in the weekend there was diesel in the oil but we didn't drop it (To lazy and pigs to shoot) Amazingly we let it cool down for 2 hours started it and drove back to the house! That is one tough truck! Lucky you were able to shut it down as turbo diesel run on is twice as bad! Sometimes choking the intake doesn't work as it starts drawing air through the sump and any other place it can pull it. I watched a 16L cat engine suck a yellow pages phone book through the intake :shock:

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Homer on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 am

Inventive paper shredder!

Yes I reckon the dealer didn't replace the seals...I would get exactly what happened to cause it in writing as Ag said...bet they wont say forgot to replace seals...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Tritium on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 am

This reminds me of my 4jx1 Jackaroo. I thought I had left those worries behind me when I fobbed it off at great loss for the ML.
I would be concerned with the long term effects of premature wear caused by the diesel dilution of the oil. Big end and turbo bearings will more than likely have suffered. The air flow meter would also need to be cleaned andd request a professional clean of the intercooler internals as well.
Such is Life.
Tritium

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 am

[quote="reeldreamer"]Ahh good old "run on" A very frightening experience to see first hand! My mates shoot ute on the farm Landcruiser 2001 Ute 4L non turbo diesel was running on a few times over the weekend but all bar one time we could shut it off easily except the last time......It started to run on held at 6500 rpm for over 3 minutes smoke pouring out everywhere! I threw my rifle on the back and ran for the hills. My mate managed to starve it of air by sticking his hand up the air intake. We had noticed earlier in the weekend there was diesel in the oil but we didn't drop it (To lazy and pigs to shoot) Amazingly we let it cool down for 2 hours started it and drove back to the house! That is one tough truck! Lucky you were able to shut it down as turbo diesel run on is twice as bad! Sometimes choking the intake doesn't work as it starts drawing air through the sump and any other place it can pull it. I watched a 16L cat engine suck a yellow pages phone book through the intake :shock: Mitch]

Lucky you didn't use your rifle to put that old 'Cruiser out of it's misery! :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 am

Just found this on another fourum.... could be helpful :?:

"A simple way to check for fuel dilution is to use a business card and drop a small drop of oil on it, it's called the oil blotter test.

If fuel is present in it you will see a distinct lighter ring/s around the outside of the droplet where it seeps into the card and it tends to spread more quickly/further than pure oil."

Postby tokirky on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 am

NTBB wrote:Just found this on another fourum.... could be helpful :?:

"A simple way to check for fuel dilution is to use a business card and drop a small drop of oil on it, it's called the oil blotter test.

If fuel is present in it you will see a distinct lighter ring/s around the outside of the droplet where it seeps into the card and it tends to spread more quickly/further than pure oil."

Just make sure you use the cheap cardboard cards, the expensive shiny ones wont work.
If the outer circle (boundary layer)is smooth its fuel, if its jagered (forms small peaks) its water or glycol.

You can buy kits http://www.proquip.com.au there maybe others but thats where i get mine from.
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby snowman on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 pm

Homer wrote:This was discussed ages ago.
I don't know if it was Chaser...but I suspect Mitsiguy... talked about this being the reason to get a MMA service when adjusting the tappets.
Actually think there may have been a thread on it...or a hijack

thats every 30k :shock:

this issue scares me actually - especially with the auto. i acknowledge it is extremely rare but pretty extreme - imagine if the car was full of your kids etc.

i am getting a stiff quality plastic bag and placing it in the car permanently. also i assume the best with an auto is throw it in gear in first to try and reduce revs then whack on the bag probably easier to do with an assist.

does anyone reckon doing the old 'plastic bag trick' as a test would have a negative effect on the engine - it would pull some pretty low pressures in the intake i reckon. :?: :?: particularly at revs.

if this happened to me i would have it fixed and in the trading post the next day. :twisted: :twisted:

good call on watching for oil levels post service though. another mental sticky. good when these things get bumped up though.

oh and if this had happened from 'oil thinning' via fuel in the sump and what is effectively a thinned 'blow by' fuelling the chambers then i reckon the big end would be worth a look at. she would have been running for a while with very high viscosity 'fuel oil' and i could not see than being good for any engine bottom end. then throw in high pressures at the end during the stall..........i'd be getting the sump dropped off mate and have ia real good look from someone who is not Mits. If they had done the tappets they wont be running up an admitting it in a hurry.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby new44 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Some comments on the possible damage of diesel in sump oil.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5971
new44

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls