Mitsubishi Canopies

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had experienced any problems with a mitsubishi canopy? We have the MN GLX-R and the canopy and tail gate have never been right. From the very first day the lift up canopy glass at the rear was not aligned and often popped open when driving.

On our first adventure off the hard top (along a very moderate dirt road) the lift glass popped twice, and the tail gate dropped open. On one occasion the tailgate opened and the glass stayed closed (cos we had key locked the glass. ;) )

Our local dealer (not who we got the truck from) has tried twice to fit it properly with no luck. As a result all the paint on the tailgate has scuffed away to bare metal. The local dealer originally said they wouldn't fix it because it was an ARB canopy (it had an ARB sticker on it - good to see the service agent knows his products :roll: ), then changed his tune to say they are a poor fitting canopy.

Anyway, after a filthy letter to mitsubishi customer service, the canopy is being replaced and the tailgate resprayed. Just waiting now to see how it turns out.

Has anyone experienced a similar thing with canopies from mitsubishi?
Anfos
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Been a few with similar issues, think even a batch was twisted??

Search should bring it up for you mate ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks Fridgie,
Did a search but didn't bring much up.
It did seem as though ours was twisted cos the glass never aligned properly. :(
Cheers
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Postby tampham on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 pm

my canopy has the same problem.It been replace twice ,the last time the tailgate was resprayed,and they say if the thirt one is not right i will get refund or they will put the ARB on
tampham

Postby Anfos on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 pm

I demanded an ARB one when I wrote in to customer service, but they said they would try to repair/replace first. I hope i dont have to go through it all again! :o
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Postby bunloz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm on my third canopy and it still isnt right. Been back and forth to the stealer (kings in Ballarat) about 6 times. Mits said they would refund the money. I looked at an ARB one but I dont like the lift-up inside window, takes up too much room when its open. Any ideas?
bunloz

Postby andyj on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Have a look in the canopy thread you will find a lot of information

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1400
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby hando666 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm

A note of caution to anyone concidering the ARB canopy for the MN. Darn thing doesnt seal due to the poor desighn in the rear quarters. If anyone has solved this i would love to see the fix!
hando666

Postby trytin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 pm

bunloz wrote:I'm on my third canopy and it still isnt right. Been back and forth to the stealer (kings in Ballarat) about 6 times. Mits said they would refund the money. I looked at an ARB one but I dont like the lift-up inside window, takes up too much room when its open. Any ideas?

Just order it with the traditional slide window - just got one for the new Hilux and very happy with it.
trytin

Postby Anfos on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, just got the truck back after local dealer "tried" to refit a new canopy. The canopy didn't actually fit! That didn't stop the service team trying to give the truck back to us. In fact, the fit was so bad, that the tailgate would hit on the canopy when it was being opened and closed. The rear glass lift up window doesn't close properly unless you slam it, and they didn't re-seal the tub with the weather proofing we originally paid for.

Anyway, once all this was pointed out they said "leave it with us for half an hour" which we did. Whilst we were gone, they cut away one side of the canopy to make it fit, leaving a massive gap on one side and a tight fit on the other. Very noticable, and not likely to keep dust and water out. And the glass still doesn't close properly! :evil:

IDIOTS!!!!
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Diddy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 pm

I agree
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Sharkey on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi Anfos,

I just purchased my brand new Triton MN11 GLX-R in December last year and it came with the factory sports canopy from Mitsubishi and you wouldn't believe it but I too have had nothing but trouble with allignment and the rear door not closing properly.

The first canopy was replaced only weeks after I picked it up because the actual mould was not correct. The door wouldn't close, the tail gate was just about hitting the canopy door, the gaps on both sides were unbelievable and the door was extremely hard to close, it wouldn't lock on the LHS!!!

Anyhow this was replaced but the 2nd one then leaked like a siv!! The gap down the RHS between the canopy body and glass door was huge but Mitsubishi said there was nothing they could do to correct this. To stop the water leak I was told it needed the weather seal kit fitted, this was an extra cost (can you believe it), and it wasn't until I drove off about half an hour later I noticed two huge chips down the LHS between the canopy body and the cab NOT HAPPY!! :evil: I took it back to the Mitsubishi dealer again and this time it had to be resprayed, off the road for another 3 days!

Anyway this has all been resolved and touch wood I won't have any more problems with the canopy.

I wrote a nasty email to Mitsubishi in Adelaide explaining my entire frustrations but that is where it all ended!

So Anfos you are not alone on this one, it has not been a good start for me. As for the vehicle I couldn't be any happier, I now just have a huge wish list on what mods I want to do but I just don't know where to begin, tattslotto would be a good start.
Sharkey

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi sharkey,
I'm glad your canopy issues seem to be sorted. Ours just keep getting worse. After taking it back to our local dealer again before our trip (because they didn't hook the internal light up!), they assured us it was good to go. Well, 600km of oodnadatta track later and we've had to use tie down straps to keep the glass down. Can't close the glass properly cos if we do, it won't open on one side! We had more track left in the tub and canopy than we left behind. And the light doesn't turn off either so they didn't really fix anything. Have spoken to customer service and hoping to get them to install a razorback canopy. Mitsubishi have admitted that two out of three canopies are faulty.
Good luck with your new one. Let us know how you go.
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm

What sort or brand of canopy are people happy with on their MN's?
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Check out the canopy thread.

I have the arb and am quite happy with it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Cheers Dave. I'm about half way through it!
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Plenty of info there. Near the end there's a white one, might be sjs? New brand anyway, looked pretty good to me. The poster was quite comprehensive in terms of details which may help pick the one I mean.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby renotriton on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I have a Flexiglass myself :) http://www.flexiglass.com.au/_product_8 ... Cab_Canopy. Comes standard with darkened glass so no need to do any tinting 8-)
Very happy with quality and love the remote tailgate lock which is integrated with the vehicle locks. Side liftout windows on any canopy makes them so much better to use IMO
Not a canopy if you are looking to carry heavy load on top, 60kg is the rating but for me that is enough.
renotriton

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Mitsubishi have agreed to refund full cost of canopy. Have now put in an order to have an arb one fitted in Adelaide in 10 days time. Hopefully we can become happy campers once again!
I should add that Mitsubishi customer service have been excellent to deal with and have been very sympathetic to our needs. Our big issue is with our local dealer who's service dept is run by a moron, and evidently has incompetent staff working for him.

Sent from Anfos's iPhone using Tapatalk
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Postby cage1144 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Pick up my MN in Jan and complained about the canopy (Gen Mits) rear window on first service which was adjusted. At the moment am driving with no rear window as it shattered whilst the car was parked. The dealer has stated that the die was out of alignment when the batch was made not allowing the rear window to secure evenly, hence putting stress on the glass causing it to shatter. To their credit they have offered to replace the entire canopy or refund the cost (my choice). Am currently looking at a flexiglass or carry boy, would like a razorback if it was fitted with lift up side windows.
So to put all those owners of a gen Mits canopy at ease, they are fully aware of the issues and are making an effort to keep the customer happy.

Cheers Mick
cage1144

Postby bunloz on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:34 pm

I had a word with the local ARB guys - they told me that they fit canopies for NEW Tritions for the dealer! So, a bit late for those of us that have been caught but if you stipulate you want an ARB canopy before you sign the order you will get one - its just Mits and the stealers doing the cheap and nasty on us!!
I've proposed to my stealer to either refund the cost of a new one or, seeing as they can get a new ARB cheaper than I can, they can do the swap. Waiting on approval from Steve Clark of Mitsubishi, he agreed to a refund after the second one was stuffed but I got talked in to trying a t3rd one - no nore Mits canopy for me.
bunloz

Postby trytin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:49 pm

So do I read between the lines - Mitso dropping their line of canopies and letting dealer supply thru their preferred supplier or client request as other ute manufacturers currently do? If Mitso are doing full refunds sounds like they have no other options.
trytin

Postby hando666 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 am

Hi all just a quick note to say ARB in adelaide contacted me and are going to Refit/modify the seals on the canopy in the rear quarters. Due to the gaps beeing big enough to put my hands in. All i have to do is drive three hours in each direction to get them fixed!
hando666

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Anfos on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Had our second useless mitsu canopy replaced yesterday with an ARB one. Mitsu agreed to a full refund on the canopy. So far the new one is going great and a big thanks to Steve and the boys at ARB Morphettvale for going above and beyond.
Anfos

2010 MN GLX-R
Pioneer Argyle SE
Anfos

Postby hoges on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 am

2 weeks ago I picked up a 2011 MN GLX-R. I requested a Carryboy canopy (lift up windows) when I ordered the vehicle.

So far (only 2,500ks) I've very happy with the canopy. The finish is great, as is the fit. I requested the front window on the canopy have the lock installed on the outside so the canopy can be accessed from the cab of the vehicle via the rear window. A convenient thing.

My only 'issue' with the canopy is the inner roof line height towards the sides of the canopy due to the moulded interior roof lining. The reason this is an 'issue' is because my Engel 40lt mounted on a dropslide mounted on ORS drawers is a shoehorn fit when mounted above one drawer. It fits when the fridge is mounted in the middle of the canopy...but who wants that?
hoges

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls