Mitsubishi Canopies

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Mooons on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:46 am

Take it back & tell them to replace it
Our sports canopy was crap first time round but the replacement is 100%
if they have hacked it to make it fit it's rubbish & shouldn't be on your vehicle
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Crash486 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Good luck. As I have said in the canopy thread, " I will NEVER buy a genuine accessory from Mitsubishi ever again". Even when they know there is an issue they just make it too difficult for you. Absolutely no service at all, no empathy grrrr grrr grrr makes me mad every time I remember the months it took and two dealers to get warranty.
Crash486

Postby Mooons on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't blame Mitsubishi I think it comes down to the dealer
Ours took one look at it made a phone call and bang new canopy
Haven't had a problem since :D
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Crash486 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:56 pm

As far as I am concerned the Dealer is Mitsubishi. I am sick of dealers saying "its Mitsubishi policy . You need to provide photos of the ...."
Crash486

Postby Mooons on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Do they do your services ?
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Crash486 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Just major ones. Local independent does a better job and cares. He offers service and if anything goes wrong, he fixes it no questions asked. Also fits 4x4 gear.
Crash486

Postby Mooons on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Fair enough our dealer has been good by us so far so we'll stick with them
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Mongrel on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 pm

My new sports canopy also had to be trimmed so the tailgate would close.

There is very little clearance on each side so if the canopy is out by only a few mm it will hit.

They trimmed mine and it's fine.

The door latches not closing can be fixed very easily by just adjusting the lock. When I picked it up the door would close but not tight, a quick adjustment and it's perfect.

Also a bit of WD40 on the latches helps massively.
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 am

Interesting reading this. Yesterday the Legal Advice guy on the ABC was advising a caller that the law (Vic at least) now places all the responsibility onto a dealer of a product and they can't simply fob off issues to a manufacturer.

My interpretation is; each party sues the one above eg. customer deals with dealer, dealer deals with their supplier/manufacturer, etc.

Ultimately the Trade Practice Act covers you in that goods must be fit for purpose. So it is a brave entity that tries to give a customer hard times. So if a Canopy is sold as an option for a particular vehicle, it should fit in an intended way and perform as would be reasonably expected, without hacksaws or heaps of silicone being applied.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Has anyone had a MN mitsubishi trade or sports canopy fitted recently? and what comments? GOOD and bad customers please? would like to have one fitted maybee! but would like to hear how many happy customers there has been recently? I have looked at a couple and they seem good, nicely fitted out, and look good! :?
ironhide

Postby sheynolds on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:25 pm

After speaking to my dealer regarding the canopy trim/cut to make it fit. They suggested contacting customer service @ Mitsu. The result was a replacement canopy that was fitted within a week. Been to NT and back on holidays and no issues with anything except the lock wont release the key when removing it. Required a fair amount of force to get it out. The canopy seemed to seal pretty well, we had what I believe to be a acceptable amout of "Red Dust" in the back. Loobed up the keylock but it didnt address the problem for very long. Something for them to sort at next service taht wont be long either. 2 mths old and 12,000Km. Love the car and the service provided, initial handover when purchased could have been handled better. Would recommend the genuine canopy based on the service from Mitsu and that this one fits.
sheynolds

Postby ironhide on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Ok after confussing myself with to much research and info on all the different types of cannopies :? , I simply decided to go for the mitsubishi trade canopy and see how it goes! ;) So after having it for a few weeks now I can report that I think they are fine. :D It fitted easilly, only needed a little trimming where the tailgate closes to ensure a sweet fit. Does Not leak, even when washing it with the hose! I had the dust kit fitted at the same time, as this is where I think others are leaking, not the canopy itself. Comes wired with a interior LED light which I wired to my own power box and switch at the rear of the tub. Also the interior carpet lining of the canopy is neatly fitted, just got to see how it goes over the years. I had the slide window option for ventilation when travelling, they are a tight fit and need a bit of effort when opening. Chose it in the end because it comes with genuine mitsu waranty, and was one of the cheapest fitted, being over a grand cheaper than some other brands. Overall, very happy with it so far. :D You can check out a few pics in my shed, or pm me with a email address and will be happy to send back a few more pics.
ironhide

Postby Kegsy on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 pm

I've had my mitsu canopy since new, and its never missed a beat.

I havent been too hard on her, but it has been on corrugated roads, some mild tracks etc and it still latches fine and seals as good as one can expect.

Very happy with it, and it looks heaps better than the ARB a guy has at work on his MN.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I am now on my second genuine Mitsubishi canopy. The first one cracked where the strut attaches to the canopy and the door would open by itself all the time and the lock didn't make a difference to that, also the tailgate rubbed on both sides.

The second canopy has been okay so far however it still rubs on the tailgate and the lock is starting to play up. :evil:

If this one needs replacing I'll be asking for my money back or replacement with an aftermarket one...
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby Crash486 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 am

Would be interested to see how you go.I have a few minor issues and would like a replacement but the dealer say no. My second canopy now has lock issues (when it rains for a few weeks it gets stuck in one position that no amount of graphite powder will fix), the windows slide open by themselves (minor issue easily fixed but needed to be done twice on each window) and the drivers side of the slam door pops open from time to time (no amount of adjustment has seemed to fix this). My first canopy was adjusted with an angle grinder so that the tailgate would close. That was not necessary on a non defective correctly fitted replacement.
Reading the thread there are more issues with genuine than any other canopy which beleagures belief as they manufacture the vehicle. I had a challenger fitted to my previous ute and never had a single issue. That is what I expect from the company that advertised the first ute to ever get 4wd of the year and 5 years warranty etc etc. <end rant> :)
Crash486

Postby Mooons on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:36 am

I an more than happy with the sports canopy we have apart from a little bit of corrosion on the roof tie downs
Which I will get looked at
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Shrek on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the sliding side windows with lifting windows on a Mitsubishi factory canopy ?
Shrek

Postby Pirate Dazz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Shrek wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the sliding side windows with lifting windows on a Mitsubishi factory canopy ?

Shrek, we had a lifting window smashed on our factory canopy. The dealer offered to replace with a sliding window, because they had a few in stock. So in answer to your question, it appears to be possible. Hope this answer isn't to late.
Pirate Dazz

Postby Pirate Dazz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm looking at fitting a rhino crossbar onto the factory canopy. Does anybody know what legs will fit onto the canopy rails. I went to a dealer today and all he could tell me, was that Mitsubishi don't make a crossbar for the canopy. The dealer was useless, couldn't give any advice at all. I also went to an ARB store. They weren't much help either, as they didn't know what size the factory rails were, therfore couldn't tell me which legs to use. Nobody seems to know :roll: Very frustrating.
Pirate Dazz

Postby woz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Hey daz. Just found my invoice. The rail legs are part # CXB roof rack rail legs hd commercial. And just a hd 1250 bar. Rb1250b
woz

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi guys. I'm thinking of trying to reinforce the mitsu canopy. Just want to b able to hold a bit more static weight. Any ideas how to build some internal supports?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby motoz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 pm

big_bob_thefirst wrote:Hi guys. I'm thinking of trying to reinforce the mitsu canopy. Just want to b able to hold a bit more static weight. Any ideas how to build some internal supports?

I've been thinking about this. I'm thinking a couple of 1.5" diameter steel tube hoops mandrel bent to the internal profile of the canopy.

On top weld some steel plates that will pick up the factory roof rails. On the bottom of the hoops we can add some threaded rod with lock nuts to preload the hoops.

This should transfer the load onto the tub and away from the canopy.

:)
Last edited by motoz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Hmm, that's along the lines I was thinking Motoz. Cheers for that.

So around a 2 crates worth ;) Haha.
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby motoz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Yeah cost ya a carton.

The only issue I'd see is that you'd have to remove the vinyl hood lining. Out of interest Rhino make a mounting system that does the same thing though mounts directly to the tub floor.

;)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Mitsubishi Canopies

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Coppers clear??

Seriously tho, u up for helping (read doing I guess) out? Don't want to force this on ya Dave.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls