Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

Postby shane6405 on Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm

picked my ml up for the second time for carbon build up, they did top and bottom manifold, egu vaulve, computer re-map, drove it about 10-15 kms and it did the same surge again, back again for the third time this week to see what they can do for it now.
shane6405

Postby Longranger1 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:25 pm

They'll keep changing bits until it runs right. At this rate you may end up with a new engine :lol: .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Newton1! on Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Do we get carbon credits?
"I get knocked down but I get up again" Usually!
Newton1!

Postby shane6405 on Fri May 27, 2011 8:56 pm

back for the third time been their since wensday said it was fixed, BUT they took for test drive it got down road abouy 3km it stoped .came back on truck neads new ecu mite get it back wensday.i hope
shane6405

Postby mattz on Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm

shane6405 wrote:back for the third time been their since wensday said it was fixed, BUT they took for test drive it got down road abouy 3km it stoped .came back on truck neads new ecu mite get it back wensday.i hope

At least it did it for them.
Usually nothing goes wrong while they drive it, and you look like a dick trying to explain what its doing and saying it does it all the time :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mudders on Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

has any body tried running 2stroke at a ratio of 200-1 ive been doing a bit of reading of this and it seems to help keep things clean
mudders

Postby Snooozy on Fri May 27, 2011 10:04 pm

i did run it in one tank, first thing I noticed was how much quieter the motor ran, & it happened very quickly.

Have been meaning to run it again, just haven't got around to it
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat May 28, 2011 9:36 am

mudders wrote:has any body tried running 2stroke at a ratio of 200-1 ive been doing a bit of reading of this and it seems to help keep things clean

lots of us guys add 2t but this wont fix the carbon issue it helps with lubricating the fuel system :shock:
mad992

Postby ellewill on Mon May 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi there,

I'm a proud new Triton owner and am experiencing turbo surging already (only 20000k's on the clock). The truck has been back to the dealer 3 times for the same thing.

I have found that a run up the F3 for a few hours cleans it out a bit.

I'm curious about the PCV filters that have been spoken of here. What are they, how do they work, where can I get one, and where/how do I get one fitted?

I have reported my problem to Mitsubishi Australia also, but have not been told much apart from "we are working on a solution, but we have no idea of the timeframe."

Thanks in advance.

Scotty
ellewill

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 30, 2011 5:18 pm

ellewill wrote:Hi there,

I'm a proud new Triton owner and am experiencing turbo surging already (only 20000k's on the clock). The truck has been back to the dealer 3 times for the same thing.

I have found that a run up the F3 for a few hours cleans it out a bit.

I'm curious about the PCV filters that have been spoken of here. What are they, how do they work, where can I get one, and where/how do I get one fitted?

I have reported my problem to Mitsubishi Australia also, but have not been told much apart from "we are working on a solution, but we have no idea of the timeframe."

Thanks in advance.

Scotty

You shouldn't really have enough carbon buildup after 20,000 to cause you surging. Is yours the MN? If so there is a whole thread on surging somewhere here - a quick search should turn it up (or look at the forum directory thread for some pointers to it). The most common surging causes have so far been dodgy suction control valves (aka SCVs) and an ECU problem fixed with a reflash.

It would help to know which model and transmission you have. Eg the 4spd auto they released a specific hotline fix for surging - it was only a reflash but it seemed to work on that particular model.

PCV filters - You want a Provent 200 I'd say. Provents you can get on ebay or direct from Western Filters. I'm guessing you're in Sydney given the F3 references. There are possibly other sources but Western Filters are fast and give good service. Do a search on provent to see pics of other member's installs etc.

Edit: Also add your location to your profile - sometimes it helps. Depending where you are someone might refer you to a better dealer for example.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Joe on Mon May 30, 2011 6:35 pm

ellewill wrote:I have reported my problem to Mitsubishi Australia also, but have not been told much apart from "we are working on a solution, but we have no idea of the timeframe."

I think you'll find the "solution" is a retro fitted catch can :roll:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby ellewill on Tue May 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
ellewill wrote:Hi there,

Scotty

You shouldn't really have enough carbon buildup after 20,000 to cause you surging. Is yours the MN? If so there is a whole thread on surging somewhere here - a quick search should turn it up (or look at the forum directory thread for some pointers to it). The most common surging causes have so far been dodgy suction control valves (aka SCVs) and an ECU problem fixed with a reflash.

It would help to know which model and transmission you have. Eg the 4spd auto they released a specific hotline fix for surging - it was only a reflash but it seemed to work on that particular model.

PCV filters - You want a Provent 200 I'd say. Provents you can get on ebay or direct from Western Filters. I'm guessing you're in Sydney given the F3 references. There are possibly other sources but Western Filters are fast and give good service. Do a search on provent to see pics of other member's installs etc.

Edit: Also add your location to your profile - sometimes it helps. Depending where you are someone might refer you to a better dealer for example.

Hi there,

Thanks for the info.

Mine is an MN.

It is going back into the dealership this friday, and they are sending the service manager and head mechanic with me for a drive to see what the surging is, when it happens etc. Fingers crossed!!!
ellewill

Postby shane6405 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 pm

my ml is still at the dealers been sine wensday still want run put in new ecu wantgo still wanting
shane6405

Postby shane6405 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 pm

its stillat the deales can not get it started have no ideal
shane6405

Postby kujo on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:23 pm

hey guys been reading through a few posts here about the triton issues, my partner owns a 5 month old mn gl-r with 14,000 kays on the clock and has been experiencing some weird things recently like bad turbo lag, the fuel economy varying from tank to tank and different noises from the engine. its going in for a service next wednesday and she mentioned to the service guy about the turbo lag and told her that he had an 'idea' what the problem was and wanted the ute for the whole day. im guessing since as you guys have mentioned the kays are a bit low for carbon build-up any other ideas?

i myself am feeling a little discouraged about parting with my 05 v6 glx-r which has run trouble free and upgrading to a new mn( as i find hers a pleasure to drive) reading about their string of issues, but if its a problem with all common rail diesels its a 6 to 1, half dozen the other kind of dilemma :?:
kujo

Postby shane6405 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 pm

got it back on friday afy had to put new one in itter 3 weeks it was the injector pump the
shane6405

Postby Blue on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

kujo wrote:hey guys been reading through a few posts here about the triton issues, my partner owns a 5 month old mn gl-r with 14,000 kays on the clock and has been experiencing some weird things recently like bad turbo lag, the fuel economy varying from tank to tank and different noises from the engine. its going in for a service next wednesday and she mentioned to the service guy about the turbo lag and told her that he had an 'idea' what the problem was and wanted the ute for the whole day. im guessing since as you guys have mentioned the kays are a bit low for carbon build-up any other ideas?

i myself am feeling a little discouraged about parting with my 05 v6 glx-r which has run trouble free and upgrading to a new mn( as i find hers a pleasure to drive) reading about their string of issues, but if its a problem with all common rail diesels its a 6 to 1, half dozen the other kind of dilemma :?:

My ML intake orifice was down to 10mm after 22,000km...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Catch cans are a must - will eventually get to "high tide" with oil in the intercooler.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls