Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby CrnBrb on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 am

For everybodies information....

Find below the letter that I have sent to my local dealer to escalate to Mitsubishi HQ in regards to the carbon issues we have all suffered with our Tritons. I have given links to threads from this site as proof of the issue that Mitsubishi are more than aware of!!

I sent a PM to the Administrators and moderators of this site in regards to the use of information from the site and recieved no reply so I have taken that as a Yes and sent this letter away. I trust all members will be interested to be informed of the outcome....

Thanks,

Crnbrb..

Dear Sam,

I'm writing in regards to the common and relentless carbon intake problem I and every Common Rail TD Triton owner is experiencing. I have contacted Mitsubishi head office and they have instructed me to refer my problem to my local dealer customer relations to escalate the problem to a higher authority.

I bought my 2007 ML Triton brand new and have been suffering with this problem since approximately 70,000km. I have been in and out of the Pickering dealership on several occasions due to this issue for them to clean the intake out, refit and get me out the door, and on some occasions the problem hasn’t been fixed and I’m told to come back a few days later when they can fit me in?? . I also run a small business and rely heavily upon having a reliable vehicle not one that I have to take back to be fixed every 2- 3 months, I don’t receive any compensation from Mitsubishi for loss of income so I feel I have suffered long enough.

I now reside in Ingham approximately 110km from Townsville (nearest dealer), therefore I have had to do a +200km round trip, take a day off work to rectify a long term problem with a short term fix. When I picked my car up the last time I asked the Service Manager what Mitsubishi are doing to rectify this KNOWN problem and whether a call back will be put in place. I was told that Mitsubishi will be doing nothing. I then asked, will this recurring KNOWN issue continue to be fixed free of charge once the warranty period expires. I was told NO! This means that I as the customer will have to foot the bill for my car to be put into a workshop for a day or more to fix a problem that Mitsubishi are more than aware of, WHAT THE??? Now I say “KNOWN PROBLEM” because as a proud new Triton owner I joined a New Triton forum, since the 15 April 2009 fellow new Triton owners throughout the country are suffering the same issues and have voiced their concerns about the same issues to their local dealers. Triton owners have been left to find alternative modifications to rectify this problem which should never of happened.

Please find below the link to the forum which I am referring to as proof that this problem does exist and that Mitsubishi is aware of it, I will also give you my log in details so you are able access the link.

Forum Links

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7472

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2477

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=68

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2551

If Mitsubishi does not rectify this problem ASAP Triton owners throughout the country may as take their car to the wrecking yard, because they’ll never be able to sell it and once the warranty period ends it's us that will be forking out the cost of repair "which in the case of one particular instance for me, would be labour costs for two days labour and parts”. These problems have already caused ongoing issues with my Triton, but my fear is that this problem has been left for too long and I will continue to have further problems well into the future. It is totally unfair that Mitsubishi have sat on their hands for this long, the problem won’t go away and it needs to be fixed, if it isn’t or can’t be fixed, every Triton owner suffering these problems should be given a new car to replace the dud we’ve purchased, which in my case is a $53,000 dud.

In conclusion I really would like to ensure this problem is nipped in the bud. It is a common fault that Mitsubishi are AWARE of and are turning a blind eye too. All Triton owners are proud to be so and I think would like this problem rectified straight away. I want the best possible outcome for all Triton owners, and as I’ve said if that means receiving a new car then that’s what it’s got to be, which in fact is a common occurrence internationally in cases of un repairable problems. I don’t want to have to go to the media on this issue but I will do so if Mitsubishi ignore the concerns that I have raised.

If anyone wishes to contact me in regards to this please don't hesitate to either email me or call me on the mobile number below.

Regards,

Ben Weston
CrnBrb

Re: Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

Postby Blue on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am

That's gonna make some desk jocky a great paper plane... Not to discredit or make light of your letter but, the problem has persisted for 5 years and continues on the MN with a completely different engine - in short, these vehicles are flying off showroom floors and Mitsu don't really give a f#$k...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 am

...and as has been mentioned many times, it's not a Triton specific problem, it is a Turbo Diesel specific problem.

They all do it...check out the recent thread over at Newhilux.net

VWs - BMWs - Jeeps - Nissans - Toyotas and any of the other TD manufacturers that run EGR and PCV will eventually be clagged up with carbon.

The Triton develops the symptoms earlier that is all.

A $200 provent PCV filter will fix the issue legally. An EGR blank will fix it illegally. The two together will fix it real good but the legal won't cancel out the illegal...

When you get it cleaned out this time, do what the manufacturers are starting to do, and fit a good quality PCV filter.

Sure, you can take the view that "I shouldn't have to fix something like this..." and that is cool as well...but it won't fix the issue, and only you are going to be inconvenienced by it.

No offence intended, and I fully understand the frustration.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby CrnBrb on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:51 am

Yeah my ML suffers the same persistant problem, and I'm over it....

No discredit taken, but it was mainly to inform everybody what I'm doing and to ensure the members of this site are informed of references made to threads on the site...

Cheers,

Crnbrb
CrnBrb

Postby CrnBrb on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:54 am

Steane wrote:...and as has been mentioned many times, it's not a Triton specific problem, it is a Turbo Diesel specific problem.

They all do it...check out the recent thread over at Newhilux.net

VWs - BMWs - Jeeps - Nissans - Toyotas and any of the other TD manufacturers that run EGR and PCV will eventually be clagged up with carbon.

The Triton develops the symptoms earlier that is all.

A $200 provent PCV filter will fix the issue legally. An EGR blank will fix it illegally. The two together will fix it real good but the legal won't cancel out the illegal...

When you get it cleaned out this time, do what the manufacturers are starting to do, and fit a good quality PCV filter.

Sure, you can take the view that "I shouldn't have to fix something like this..." and that is cool as well...but it won't fix the issue, and only you are going to be inconvenienced by it.

No offence intended, and I fully understand the frustration.

No offence taken... Like I've just stated it was mainly to inform forum member of references I have made to their threads!!!

Cheers,

Ben
CrnBrb

Postby Diddy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 pm

my car is just over 2 yrs old i have never had a problem with this so called carbon build up. i have only ever had one problem and it was fixed asap under warranty no questions asked .this for me is my first mitsubishi and it wont be my last i love my car and wouldnt hesitate on buying another .
there are other avenues that you should consider first like seeking legal advice from a solicitor or speaking to the department of fair trading rather then having mitsubishi motors australia limited (MMAL) trawling through our website and snooping through all our tips n tricks and knowing what modifactions that we have performed and having to risk all of our warranties being placed on the chopping block not only that there are a lot of vids and photos of members vehicles on here that do alot of 4wding and mitsubishi would see that as driver abuse if there where any warranty claims to arise in the near future and we dont need that anytime soon .

regards diddy
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Stevo8 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If you didn't know about then carbon build up you couldn't worry about it. :lol:

If it effects performance, get them to put on the new manifold under warranty. Just tell them its using heaps of fuel and surging.
I just got mine done at 70 000km but couldn't really feel any difference afterwards.

You'd want the blanking plate done though before the warranty expires cos then your on your own.

And yeah It effects all the new age diesels with the emission rules, not just Mitsubishi.
Stevo8

Postby Diddy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I have put other measures in place to stop the carbon issues
Diddy

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Your fingers in your ears don't count diddy :lol: :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Homer wrote:Your fingers in your ears don't count diddy :lol: :P

:lol: :lol:

DiD Power wrote:my car is just over 2 yrs old i have never had a problem with this so called carbon build up.
regards diddy

DiD Power wrote:I have put other measures in place to stop the carbon issues

two opinions... "so called" and now "measures in place".... you confuse me yet again hobbit! well done :lol:

//good luck Ben!
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:21 pm

DiD Power wrote:I have put other measures in place to stop the carbon issues

You got your old 2.8 Hilux back?
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diddy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

I put my measures in place when the car was new so it wouldn't develop these so called carbon build up problems I hope this helps clears things up for those SPECIAL people that are confused
Diddy

Postby ultimate on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Be careful referencing Mitsubishi to this forum. They do already monitor it a fair bit and the wrong attention could put an end to it.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby CrnBrb on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 pm

ultimate wrote:Be careful referencing Mitsubishi to this forum. They do already monitor it a fair bit and the wrong attention could put an end to it.

As posted earlier mate I but this to all the Administrators and Moderators. It has been on their inbox for nearly two weeks and I recieved no answer.

All I want is some justice rather than inconvenience!!
Last edited by CrnBrb on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrnBrb

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

CrnBrb wrote:I sent a PM to the Administrators and moderators of this site in regards to the use of information from the site and recieved no reply so I have taken that as a Yes and sent this letter away.

Good on you for having a crack at Mits, go for it I say............... but leave us out of it. Also, I'm not sure how you take a no reply as a "yes".

Does this now mean if I send a letter to the police asking if I can do 300km/h over the westgate bridge and don't get a reply that's ok........ I don't think so :evil:
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby Diddy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 pm

[/quote]Also, I'm not sure how you take a no reply as a "yes".

Does this now mean if I send a letter to the police asking if I can do 300km/h over the westgate bridge and don't get a reply that's ok........ I don't think so :evil:[/quote]

Well said sej I agree
Diddy

Postby borngeek on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 pm

ultimate wrote:Be careful referencing Mitsubishi to this forum. They do already monitor it a fair bit and the wrong attention could put an end to it.

OK settle down....

Mitsubishi are very aware of this website already. Trust me. :| (why isnt there a 'up yours' emoticon :lol:)

Ben referencing here will make zero difference.

MMAL has no legal right to pull down this website. The views and opinions expressed here are those of the individual not the site owner. If Ben would like to send links to a PUBLIC website I cant see how admin or mods can stop that. They may not like it (I cannot speak for these individuals) but in reality they are powerless to stop it.

If you are worried MMAL will see some mod you dont want them to. DONT paste it up on a public forum.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 pm

i would not get too excited either way boys.

our kids will be talking about this EGR problem i reckon...........

don't worry Brendan - i dont think Mits have the power to shut us down. ;)

we are like the Matrix you know.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: we will travel to all places of the earth in Daryns red truck and hide while posting until they find us. and then just before they find us we will push the 'big button' which is our secret pulse weapon. (it basically will let Pdiddy out of the car and then while he keeps them busy with enthusiastic posts, we can do a runner to another secret location......... :lol: :lol:)

signed
Neo

nuff stirring :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 pm

x2 Geek, nicely put.

And can we stop saying 'so called' unless we're meaning to accuse someone of being full of it?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Gold Snowie. The Matrix always did my head in (still does) but the idea of the red wiggle car zooming through the green scrolling text leaves me speechless.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Buzzy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

This has been addressed in the moderator section of the forum as soon as we recieved the PM from CrnBrb.
We understand where you are coming from CrnBrb and I would be fruustrated also.

PM sent from the Mods
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:42 pm

I may have had a measure in place and still had a problem with the so called :) carbon build up which probably stemmed from the fact that that measure was not in place for the whole time prior to the problem arising, but I still don't understand why the problem got substantially worse over time :?:

Anyway, get the manifold replaced under warranty. As you say, it is a known problem with a known solution. Solution being to stem the rate of growth of carbon but not totally eradicate the cause. Putting a PCV in will be a better solution than anything you will get out of Mitsubishi as they will always have to abide by euro-emission laws.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Actually, carbon build up in the intake manifold is part of a "Carbon Sequestration " program implemented by Mitsubishi :lol: . Sorry.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Actually, carbon build up in the intake manifold is part of a "Carbon Sequestration " program implemented by Mitsubishi :lol: . Sorry.

ha ha.
Carbon tax exemption :lol:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adam ace on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:42 pm

"Carbon Sequestration "program may not be so funny, the green minds may not realize the full carbon cost of producing and installing new manifolds. :?
Adam ace

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls