Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Fed up with, Carbon Build up!!!

Postby salt36 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 pm

borngeek wrote:
ultimate wrote:Be careful referencing Mitsubishi to this forum. They do already monitor it a fair bit and the wrong attention could put an end to it.

OK settle down....

Mitsubishi are very aware of this website already. Trust me. :| (why isnt there a 'up yours' emoticon :lol:)

Ben referencing here will make zero difference.

MMAL has no legal right to pull down this website. The views and opinions expressed here are those of the individual not the site owner. If Ben would like to send links to a PUBLIC website I cant see how admin or mods can stop that. They may not like it (I cannot speak for these individuals) but in reality they are powerless to stop it.

If you are worried MMAL will see some mod you dont want them to. DONT paste it up on a public forum.

Well said BG :D Pretty obvious really :roll:

I will be voiding my warranty good and proper shortly, so I don't give a hoot who reads my posts 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Good point Adam. A bit like solar panels - the net energy input used in the manufacture of the panel verses the energy output over the life of the panel. Not so "green" after all. :?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby veight on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:44 am

OK
Who has a blank available for a MN ?
I will put one in & give it a go.
veight

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 am

The blank will stop the crap in the manifold and keep your oil much cleaner between changes. The Catch Can will stop the oil vapour from condensing downstream of the turbo and eventually glugging up the intercooler - all good and relatively cheap fix. My theory is that I'm spending over $60k on this unit over the next five years and rather not have bits pulled apart under warranty. Bad enough that the fuel system will have to be "disturbed" for valve clearance adjustments.

Ideally would be the development of a filter in the EGR circuit that could be cleaned out even weekly, if required.

On the other front, your carbon issues are probably going to get slowed a little at the moment as the cost of diesel is once again going up like a rocket - resulting in less kms.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dazmit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Well after 13 000km my MN had a distinct lack of power and the engine check light came on.

The dealer was vague with the fault but said a new manifold was ordered so obviously carbon build up.

that was nearly 4 weeks ago and after getting onto Mitsu head office today I find out that a ship with new anifolds isn't leaving Japan until 2nd May so allow another couple of weeks after that.

Great service - driving a slug for over 2 months :evil:

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane Northside
dazmit

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Dazmit, if a manifold is not avail the dealer could remove it and clean it no probs at all. Ask them to do that for you.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby dazmit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks Lee

That's what i was intending to do.

cheers

Darryl
Brisbane Northside
dazmit

Postby dazmit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:11 pm

I should have added if my local dealer won't do it I'll try the dealer at Newstead which has great wraps on it and they can do my 15 000km service at the same time :D

cheers

Darryl
Brisbane Northside
dazmit

Postby Rhoden on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey ..
Was at the caravan and camping show here in Perth a few weeks ago and ran into Justin at his stall (Chipit)
Ordered a blanking plate for my MN GLXR. With 10mm hole. I dont have a chipit unit .. yet.
Ran with the plate for 2 days fine then engine light came on. So rang Chipit and talked to Robert, he says to increase hole dia. by 1 or 2 mil. Took a rattail file to the plate and its prob 11-12 mm now, not exactly circular! But ! engine light gone!
Will stop most of the carbon I guess, next is a Provent 200.
Rhoden

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm

What's the use of the plate if its got a hole in it?

Be like buying a bucket with a hole in it....no?

What would be good is a carbon trap/filter in the EGR line that could be easily removed for cleaning.

This would allow the inert gas functionality while stopping the solids.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:51 pm

RHKTriton wrote:What's the use of the plate if its got a hole in it?

Be like buying a bucket with a hole in it....no?

What would be good is a carbon trap/filter in the EGR line that could be easily removed for cleaning.

This would allow the inert gas functionality while stopping the solids.

Or a condom with a hole in in it :roll: I am working on this very problem at the moment.

Seriously, a 12mm hole in the blanking plate renders it almost fecken useless :twisted: .

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Looks like MNs won't be getting the resale value of MLs if they're too sensitive to mods.

I've never had a limpy with the Extremely Gross Resection blanked off! My inlet still looks clean (64K!)

Catch can is a definite must for the next mod as oil is accumulating at the outlet of the intercooler.

"Fecken useless"? How useless is that?

The problem I see Longranger, is that the EGR flow is not constant - makes the choice for filtering method difficult, not considering the heat of the gas you're dealing with. I was thinking of using something like the catch can after the cooler, packed with stainless wool pads.

Ultimately (except for the ADR factor) the best would be to rip all this crepe off and simplify the whole installation! Reduces weight, makes rocker cover easier to get off, eliminates the carbon, etc.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:16 pm

^^^^ Well the the size of the egr pipe compared to a 12mm hole in the blanking plate is what I am refering to. Go the Provent from Western Filters if you want to go the catch can route (a lot less hassle, believe me...). The blanking plate is strictly for "Off-road use only"....

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Yes I know what you mean re the 12mm. A problem that may occur with a hole in the plate trick is that carbon could build up to a crusty layer at the holy-plate and then break off and possibly get stuck in the EGR cooler or valve - where it may actually jam it partially open.

The next question I haven't seen much discussion on is what effect the carbon has on the Cat convertor?
Does goop start blocking the unit?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:36 pm

The cat shouldn't be a problem, soot will pass through them and burn generally (particulate filters are a different story, luckily the MN's don't have one). I don't know how long the cat will last - I've heard about 150000 km's. Who changes them anyway? Over-fuelling is what shortens the life of them usually.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 am

The cats can be quite dangerous in some circumstances. I had a bit of a rattle for a week or so in my old Vito and couldn't pin it down. One day crossing a busy intersection, I put the foot down and nothing! Car crawled forward with no guts.

When I eased off I could get some traction again. Obviously some restriction in fuel or exhaust, with rattle pointing to latter. When I got home I decided to remove Cat for inspection and found that there was a tennis ball size chunk of the core left, which would plug the outlet on the can when sufficient gas flow occurred.

Removal of this obstruction fixed it.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 am

^^^^^^ And turned it into a high performance Hi-Flow Cat in the process :lol: :lol: :lol: .

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:10 am

Certainly didn't go any worse after that! Point and shoot (auto)- miss that little diesel! Why can't Mitsubishi just get engine off Benz or VW?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Man on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Has any one had the engine light on after the manifold has been cleaned? I have a relative that has had it on 3 times. 1st was at 21,000km return to dealer for a maifold clean. 2nd time 200kms more "sorry must have made a mistake with the mainfold" ( lots of disucssion with dealer re reliability) Mits took a maniflold off a new stock car and replaced. 3rd time same thing occoured after 50kms of driving. Stalled and engine light on into limp home mode. He's not happy Jan. Any thoughts?

John
MN Man

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:20 am

Maybe while they "cleaned" the manifold, some soot got into the MAP port.

Maybe Grunk was a bit non delicate in removing connectors from the area to carry out the work and damaged a sensor, cabling or plugs.

Maybe its one that shouldn't have left the nest!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shane6405 on Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 am

had my ml fixed on monday drove it home by time got home it was doing the same thing, so back agan this monday to try again will get a car to drive from them too mine is fixed up this time
shane6405

Postby JayMan on Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Gents,

I was so relieved yet saddened by finding all these threads.
I bought a brand new 2011 GLXR Triton. At 3000 km and I started to feel the surge or splutter between the 1500 to 2500 rpm range. Dirty fuel I thought? Took it to the dealer and they said that they have never had this problem before on such new kms. They remapped the computer and all should be good, they said.
From bad to bluddy ridiculous. Next morning after having left my house it started to jerk and bounce.Woa woa woa the motor grinds. Put my foot down and it goes away. The problem at 1500 to 2500 rpm is now even worse. It splutters and jerks. Again having to put my foot down to stop the jerking. And man is the engine LOUD!!!!
The first few hundred km were great even with the tight feeling engine. Just great.
What the Hell...........?
Carbon build up on such low mileage? I run mostly open road driving.
Before finding this thread I felt seriously down after spending all this money on my first 4x4.
I have a feeling the guys at Mitsubishi are hiding something from me. I am booking it in tomorrow but want to be prepared and ready.
Any advice on opening statements so that it sounds like I know what the hell I am talking about would be very much appreciated. I want to let them know what to look for and what to replace.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. I was thinking of just taking a few notes from the past threads to build my case.
Thanks, JayMan ;) ;)
JayMan

Postby snowman on Sun May 15, 2011 11:58 am

it wont be carbon buildup at 3000klms.

search under 'surging'
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun May 15, 2011 1:28 pm

sorry for your misfortune jayman but iam not sure whats going on with your truck with such low klms not good i hope it gets sorted for you mate :o but i too dont think your problem is carbon build up as snowy said check under surging :oops:
mad992

Postby JayMan on Sun May 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll see what Mitsubishi says tomorrow. Will let you know.
JayMan

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls