Well what do you know- Manifold and strut Replacement

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Well what do you know- Manifold and strut Replacement

Postby melba on Tue May 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Well had the 30k service, mentioned the higher than average fuel consumption (600-650k), significant vibration in AWD when your in 'D' at idling and to there credit they have ordered a new manifold, ecu flash etc, plus my front left strut was apparently leaking.

I should of but i didn't, but when i booked it in a couple of weeks ago i mentioned the possibility of carbon build up and manifold change and the service desk man passed it off and said its very uncommon, maybe on the ml but not the mn, i quoted a couple of things from here (thanks newtriton community :D ) and sure enough the word 'carbon' springs up.

They also said they drilled out the inlet vacum hose as it was almost fully blocked. So they believe the manifold should be here in 2-3 months, strut maybe 2 weeks.

He thinks that's what's also causing the vibration in 'D' in awd whilst idling, has anyone else experince this??, its almost like having your face in a vibrating paint mixer machine.... :(

So should i be happy or annoyed that most likely i will always have this issue, how good is the new manifold design, will it make a big difference>
melba

Re: Well what do you know- Manifold and strut Replacement

Postby Tony on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:06 am

Getting mine changed too.... The revised version has the MAP port right behind the throttle plate body.(well away and up stream from the dreaded EGR).. strangely, the original manifold has a place in the casting ready for the hole. :? Seems they could have anticipated future problems when designing the manifold. :roll:

Any that miss out on the manifold change, I believe it would be possible to move the map port easily, so no biggie. :) Just have to remove the manifold, then drill/tap new port ( use a 1/8 bsb/npt threaded nipple), then block the old port off. Good as 8-)

T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:22 am

melba wrote:
He thinks that's what's also causing the vibration in 'D' in awd whilst idling, has anyone else experince this??, its almost like having your face in a vibrating paint mixer machine.... :(

So should i be happy or annoyed that most likely i will always have this issue, how good is the new manifold design, will it make a big difference>

Since returning from the snow last week mine has developed similar issues. Fuel usage has gone up from around 9.6 to 14lt/100 there is really bad surging when the motor is under load between 1800 - 3000 RPM.

The shudder while in D and really rough idle in making me shift into N while sitting at the traffic lights.

Nearly 40k KMS on the clock though I have fitted the Provent.

:evil:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:41 am

motoz wrote:
melba wrote:

Since returning from the snow last week mine has developed similar issues. Fuel usage has gone up from around 9.6 to 14lt/100 there is really bad surging when the motor is under load between 1800 - 3000 RPM.

The shudder while in D and really rough idle in making me shift into N while sitting at the traffic lights.

That's carbon. Got me at 14k kms. If you haven't had the manifolds cleaned before fitting the Provent and haven't blanked the EGR I imagine it will just continue to build up for a while on top of the oily sludge that is already there.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mongrel on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:47 am

Bugger - No good! I have had my catch can on for about 6000ks now and if I get time later today I am going to have a peep inside and see what the deal is!!
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby motoz on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 am

Steane wrote:
motoz wrote:
melba wrote:

That's carbon. Got me at 14k kms. If you haven't had the manifolds cleaned before fitting the Provent and haven't blanked the EGR I imagine it will just continue to build up for a while on top of the oily sludge that is already there.

I just rang Mitsi, I pretty much read my post to him. He didn't seem suprised and told me he needed the car for 5 hours as it required an inlet hose and manifold clean so its booked in for tomorrow.

Q. Should I remove my 33's before taking it in to the service dept? Could they use the fitment of larger tires against future warranty claims if required?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls