Extended car warranty worth it?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Extended car warranty worth it?

Postby outmen on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 am

Hello all new member here, ordered new gl-r triton .
Have been oftered to extend full warranty from 5 years to 8 years for a extra $1050.00,
Is it worth the extra loot.
Cheers Mark. :D
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.
outmen

Re: Extended car warranty worth it?

Postby fridgie on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Guess that depends on what you want to do with it ;)

If you want to do some serious mods then I probably wouldn't bother, once you replace the crappy suspension...that wont be covered, bigger tyres and you might struggle to get cv's etc covered......the list goes on....

Then if you take it off road you'll find a few more things will become difficult to claim for so basically you will be paying the extra for cosmetic things which will come under the 'fair wear and tear' policy :roll: and therefore not covered either.

IMHO opinion, unless you plan on keeping it stock, save the pennies for more mods and stick with the 5yr warranty and 10yr powertrain warranty ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:16 pm

outmen wrote:Hello all new member here, ordered new gl-r triton .
Have been oftered to extend full warranty from 5 years to 8 years for a extra $1050.00,
Is it worth the extra loot.
Cheers Mark. :D

do you think you would spend $1050 in repairs between year 5 and 8 ???

Not sure about Mistusbishi, but I wouldnt buy an extended warranty just yet as some places you can buy it just before the 5th year ends, that would be the best time to decide if your gunna need it.

The power train is covered with a 10 yr warranty so all the big stuff is covered. The one they want to sell you probaboy only covers cosmetic stuff like Fridgie said. Its a risk Vs reward sort of decision.
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby outmen on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks gents i'm doing a 5 year lease so i must include in package, was thinking if i sold in 5 years to upgrade i could still sell it with 3 years full warranty and get a better resale price.

Cheers for the comments.
Mark
outmen

Postby har05l on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:32 pm

outmen wrote:Thanks gents i'm doing a 5 year lease so i must include in package, was thinking if i sold in 5 years to upgrade i could still sell it with 3 years full warranty and get a better resale price.

Cheers for the comments.
Mark

When selling the warranty doesn't carry over so it will be no benefit what so ever. The warranty is for the original purchaser only. Just take the 5/10 and save your coin for mods 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby outmen on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi har051 has far as i know the 5 year warranty is fully transferable [*10 year or 160,000km Powertrain Warranty (whichever comes first) (non transferable). 5 year or 130,000km New Vehicle Warranty (whichever comes first).
I still own two other cars a pajero and a commodore, both were second hand and had balance of new car Warranty.
I will check it out with the dealer.
Cheers
outmen

Postby har05l on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Your right outmen :oops:

Do then what you feel would be better ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:21 pm

outmen wrote:Thanks gents i'm doing a 5 year lease so i must include in package, was thinking if i sold in 5 years to upgrade i could still sell it with 3 years full warranty and get a better resale price.
Cheers for the comments.
Mark

I know what your saying Mark, but I dont think selling a 5 year old car with a extended warranty would get you another grand for it, especially if you traded it, maybe to a private buyer but the stealers wouldnt give you that back ;)
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby MN25DT on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:23 pm

outmen wrote:Hi har051 has far as i know the 5 year warranty is fully transferable [*10 year or 160,000km Powertrain Warranty (whichever comes first) (non transferable). 5 year or 130,000km New Vehicle Warranty (whichever comes first).
I still own two other cars a pajero and a commodore, both were second hand and had balance of new car Warranty.
I will check it out with the dealer.
Cheers

You are correct with the 5 year 130,000km new vehicle warranty but i'm pretty sure that any warranty purchased in addition to the standard warranty is not transferable - so the extended warranty will only be valid for the purchaser of the warranty.

My advice would be, if you really want it, tell the stealer to throw it in for free - thats what i did :D
MN25DT

Postby mad992 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:09 pm

dont forget to get your extra warranty 5yrs i think after 3yrs you have to register dont forget :!:
mad992

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:48 am

My observations with extended warranties are that they are just a quick bit of cream for someone. If something is going to fail due to genuine design or production problem, then it is most likely to show up fairly soon.

It doesn't matter what you do or how well you look after your car, at the end of the day when it comes to trade-in time, the stealers look in their red book and give you a crap figure.

If you've got a grand plus to throw into the deal put it into the suspension.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls