60K Warranty Claim

What were your warranty claims and recall information

60K Warranty Claim

Postby Tall Man on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm

I have a 2010 GLXR manual, now 18mths old. I did the first 60,000Ks with out a hick up. Now at 63 000 i've started to notice the a few things.

Last week the engine light came on and stayed on for a few days then cleared it's self.
Engine starter to surge a bit a low revs over the last few months
Clutch has a picked up an intermittant rattle at idle

Booked it in at the local dealer today where I bought it and they are replacing the manifold to the new designed one to combat the carbon/soot build ( since read up that it's a pretty common problem!!) up that everyone is getting and reprogrammed the ECU for the surge thing under warranty.

the clutch thing is a worry where they have told me they can pull it down to check if it is a warranty issue but if it is wear and tear I'd be up for the bill of around $1000 labour!! It still seems to work fine but i'm sorta stuck thinking about it aren't I??

the 60 odd tho i've done have really only been to work down the highway, hardly ever tow or carry a load. Dealer has told me they have replaced a few at 80 000 on blokes that work them hard with heavy towing ect but warranty don't cover it. What sort of Ks should I expect out of a clutch ?
Tall Man

Re: 60K Warranty Claim

Postby Bennys on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:24 pm

A fee people have had rattles and squeaks from the clutch. Mine was the thrust bearing at about 10k. Mits repacked it with fresh grease without a dollar leaving my pocket. Think they must use crappy grease during assembly in the factory.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Bennys

Postby trickydevil on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm at 136000kms. Alot have been down the hwy, and there's always weight in the ute. My take up is quite a way out on the pedal. Towed my trailer yesterday 7x4 with 450mm deep sides nearly fully loaded with sand up a few hills etc, no issues. Had done a heap of 4wheeling around Coffs and it's still hanging in.
trickydevil

Postby coxy47 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Im on the original clutch for my Tri and im at 71000kms but ive heard of others being replaced earlier with a hard life. At a guess though i would have thought the clutch disc should be ok with how you have said its been used so its probably not wear and tear.

Generally im inclined to avoid doing anything to a clutch until it actually starts causing issues when driving except if the gearbox is out for something else or if you need to be certain its not causing any problems. Though my opinion may be wrong and i dont necessarily recommend anyone else following my advice.
coxy47

Postby Tall Man on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:06 pm

mine clutch is seems to be working fine, just now has a rattel at low idle when it's warmed up, when cold or if I push the pedal in or rev it above 1000rpm it goes away. I don't know enough about how it works but is it worth getting another dealer to look at it or is always going to make more noise as it wears?
Tall Man

Postby Blue on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Mitsu have a history of using rattly thrust race/bearings... I wouldn't be too concerned if the rattle disappears when you depress the pedal...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:57 am

Bennys wrote:A fee people have had rattles and squeaks from the clutch. Mine was the thrust bearing at about 10k. Mits repacked it with fresh grease without a dollar leaving my pocket. Think they must use crappy grease during assembly in the factory.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

How did they repack the clutch release bearing? Its a sealed unit.

Also, how did they access the bearing without dropping the the transmission?

Sounds like they may have just sprayed some lube in there somehow :? :o

A bit dodgy I reckon.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 am

Longranger,

Its not the release bearing its the Shaft it slides on, From factory there is not enough lubrication.

Gearbox is removed and new grease applied.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks Lee :oops:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:09 am

I'm at 60k with no real dramas. I take off from the lights in 2nd all the time. 500nm
GLX-R Alex

Postby Big Brad on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Still on the original clutch with 190 000klm on the clock

V6 though if that makes any difference

Tows a 1 ton trailer regularly with no problems.

Brad
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby albytank on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 pm

im on the same clutch from new. 160000klms and i tow a bout and car tralier with drag car on regular trips and had no drama. By the way the car tralier goes up the pass from wollongong to west sydney
albytank

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:10 am

What's your drag car?
GLX-R Alex

Postby K-Spec on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am

I was just wondering if anything had come from this clutch problem??

I think i may have something similar. Got home yesterday and when i parked up i noticed a louder than normal rattle coming from the engine bay/under the truck. I had to leave it there but when i came back to investigate later i noticed that it goes away when the clutch i pressed in, it also seems to fade over the 1000rpm mark. I am a little worried because it does not sound very good and i never heard it once when test driving other tritons or before yesterday afternoon. The ute has just over 4000km's on it and since i got it about 1000km's ago it hasn't carried any wieght, towed anything or been driven very hard at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?? It sounds louder than our trucks at work... sounds terrible. :cry: :?
Struggle is Strengthening...
K-Spec

Postby Stevo8 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Mine 96000 km lots of heavy towing and all good (touch wood).
Mates with similar towing (probably more stop start in hilly areas) did 70000 before it failed.
Stevo8

Postby Pom10 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 pm

K-Spec wrote:I was just wondering if anything had come from this clutch problem??

I think i may have something similar. Got home yesterday and when i parked up i noticed a louder than normal rattle coming from the engine bay/under the truck. I had to leave it there but when i came back to investigate later i noticed that it goes away when the clutch i pressed in, it also seems to fade over the 1000rpm mark. I am a little worried because it does not sound very good and i never heard it once when test driving other tritons or before yesterday afternoon. The ute has just over 4000km's on it and since i got it about 1000km's ago it hasn't carried any wieght, towed anything or been driven very hard at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?? It sounds louder than our trucks at work... sounds terrible. :cry: :?

I had a similiar problem with my mn the dealer fixed it under warranty (some spring had lost is tenson in the clutch all replaced under warrant including a new clutch .the noise disappears when the engine warm up
Cheers
Pom 10
Pom10

Postby Tall Man on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

K-Spec wrote:I was just wondering if anything had come from this clutch problem??

I've now hit 97,000. still has rattle but otherwise works fine. there is at least 3 other MNs at my work with similar noises but some louded then other. my engine sounds like shit when cold.

We have each approached different dealers at times and all have been brushed us off saying its wear and tear. the only good thing was one of the boys hit 115,000 and had major gearbox trouble. dealer ending up replacing clutch and gearbox under warranty as he had documented the dodgey clutch complaints from about 20,000Ks. his also wasn't real smooth when selecting gears, mine doesn't have this problem.

cheers
Tall Man

Postby fridgie on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 pm

83,000k's - virtually no towing

Original clutch goneski

HD clutch deadski

About to get custom HD clutch fitted ski :lol: :lol:

Let's see how long this lasts for :P
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

60K Warranty Claim

Postby Mooons on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

fridgie wrote:83,000k's - virtually no towing

Original clutch goneski

HD clutch deadski

About to get custom HD clutch fitted ski :lol: :lol:

Let's see how long this lasts for :P

I wouldn't blame the clutch
It may be driving style :shock:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 am

Maybe not the driving style, Just where he puts the thing and what he tries to get himself out of,
Lee-thal

Postby dirtpilot72 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 pm

I have this noise as well. Can hear it when ideling. 118k, original clutch. Dealer says noisey thrust bearing. They lubed the release fingers or something. Still sounds crap when at idle. I want to off load this lemon, but any buyer is going to question this noise. Dealer said only fix is new clutch $1200 (assuming plus labour). Clutch works fine, i have not noticed a drop in clutch performance. Should i try to get this fixed under warranty?
dirtpilot72

Postby trailboss on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the postings.....we have a 2010 GLXR 5spd manual triton. Almost from 3000km's we had the rattling clutch when pedal out in neutral (go thru a drive thru...you'll soon hear it!). Reported it, reported it, service manager taped it, Mitsu said all in our head - nothing wrong. Also, our clutch pedal every so often wouldn't release all the way back...now Ive never driven with my left foot on the little rest thingy but have also never driven with my foot resting on the clutch pedal either....so....every so often when letting the clutch out, after about 20 seconds or so, the pedal would then spring all the way back and touch my foot! Reported that too....no biggy! NOW at 45K service (or the day before)....locked me out of 3rd gear when going back from 4th! So, in I roll to service centre and they tell me "yeah we know about it, we have to pull the gearbox out and send it away for repairs". So, while your there, check the clutch! "Oh - actually 2 weeks ago we received paperwork from Mitsu that tells us we have to replace your clutch plate.
My big issue is trying to get a replacement car out of them, they've known about my gearbox issue for a week...Just to let you know, they are repairing about 2 in every 4 tritons (apparently) for this 3rd gear lock issue and no parts until Oct/Nov so I have to wait to see if Mitsu will approve a completely new box! I love my Triton BUT cringe at the thought of my father knowing all this (can hear him now....should have stuck with a Toyota!)
Anyway - now I ve had my say...just wanted to let you all know re the rattling clutch and newish gearbox issue!
Stay well
Last edited by trailboss on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trailboss

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

All the parts for the Gearbox are Available in Australia, its a 2 day turn around once we have the parts,

its no where near 50% of Tritons i can ASSURE u.
Lee-thal

Postby willbear586 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 am

My Ml has just gone in for the new intake manifold. I asked them to check the clutch. Apparently its completely worn out. 129000Klm. No towing and no 4wd ing. it has done all the k's on the highway.
Has anyone else had a clutch fail at relatively low K's.
Im a B-double driver so am pretty used to not ruining clutches.
Not covered under warranty $1590.
Bugger.
willbear586

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm

129,000? There have been plenty go at much less kms than that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls