A PDF guide to cleaning carbon from ML manifolds

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: A PDF guide to cleaning carbon from ML manifolds

Postby coughy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Do you have mechanical experience? It's quite a big job to take on. I was told it could take me as long as 6 hours given how much stuff has to come off the MN to get everything out.

lol you that slow dave???
no it wont take that long but is a shitty job to do
6 hours including the cleaning process i guess
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:21 pm

It may be that the person advising me was taking account of the fact that I would likely have been more than half cut the night before and that I often (in that place) spend half my time looking for tools rather than actually using them.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snakesoup on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm hearing you there Dave lol, ya put something down, ya go to pick it up and it's not there lol what the f did I do with the f where the f is f thing lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby coughy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:06 pm

lol oh you one of those type lol
then yes 6 hours u will be cutting it fine
sorry im anal about that shit and it gets put back where i picked it up from so next time i now exactly where it is when i won't it again..
and so i dont leave any tools on the unit that im working on
this way i have had the same tools for over 20 years unless i have broken them lol which happens but yer thats my ocd i spose :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm not usually, hence the reference to 'that place'. But I do prefer to take my time and am well aware of my own talent for stuffing things up if I don't.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby stretch08 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:55 am

Can I get the MN 2.5 intake clean pdf file please cheers
stretch08

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:52 am

L200Shogun

Postby mudsuckernz on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:10 pm

LIQUID MOLY Pro-Line Intake System Cleaner Diesel (#5168)

Haven't had my Triton long and was unsure of service record as previous owner had no record except to say that it was serviced regularly .[3 previous owners]
Runs really well except it feels slow [restrictive ] in 1st and 2nd gear.
My brothers an A grade diesel Mechanic of 37 years and told me to spray a can of LIQUID MOLY Pro-Line Intake System Cleaner Diesel (#5168) before i fit a Oil Catch Can and EGR Module .
Before i started i had a look inside with a LED light and there was quite a lot of soot and crud on the bottom and sides of the inlet manifold further up past the Throttle Butterfly valve.
After following the directions [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpxoxYmPsc ] I preceded to spray the contents of the can into the opening drawing the long hose backwards and forwards inside the manifold.A couple of times the butterfly valve closed on the hose and i gave the throttle a brief rev to open it again so i could draw hose backwards and forwards.Took about 12-15 min and i had the throttle set at 2200 revs.[With an axe handle]Revs didn't change bugger all when i was spraying product.You can actually get the spray end of the hose past where the manifold angles downwards.[Important.SUPER GLUE the spray nozzle onto the hose as well as into the spray button so that the bloody things don't come off]I reckon they would as there is a fair bit of suction going on and also you could catch the end on something inside.
Afterwards I had another look inside the manifold and the bottom and sides were much cleaner with the metal walls showing again throughout most of the inside. I took the beast for a 20 minute spin and the engine definitely pulls a lot better especially in 1st and 2nd gear and the Turbo feels smoother throughout.Stuck my foot to the floor in top gear and reached 160 km/h in no time.All in all I reckon it was certainly worth doing.
Haven't seen a lot of feedback when i googled this product but i would definitely use again.
mudsuckernz

Postby Jock on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:22 pm

210000km's on the clock, I have a feeling it will be clogged. Great walk through instructions, much appreciated
Are any new gaskets needed for the job, as I live 300km from the nearest dealer.
Jock

Postby damo83 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:08 pm

L200Shogun wrote:mn Triton intake clean @ 50,000kms

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... s.34456%2F

Am I missing something or does it seem to be a much easier job to remove the manifold on the MN? I haven't looked under the bonnet yet so I'm just basing this on the PDF procedure for the ML and the link provided for the MN.

Is the MN only half the job or have they skipped a lot of steps?

Would love a copy of the MN pdf if its still available.

Cheers,
Damo
damo83

Postby roadblock on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:49 pm

De-carb done... got the bark missing off the mits to prove it! Took everything I had to push that bloody lower manifold in between the heater hoses and the manifold studs without scratching the mating face of the manifold. Theres probably some really neat trick but I elected for the brute force approach. Got 3/4 of a 1 litre ice-cream bucket worth of carbon sludge out of the manifolds and EGR after just 120k using fuel doctor in every tank. Installed Munji's EGR delete at the same time and WOW! Its a different vehicle. Smoother, better throttle response, more acceleration and best of all, no more CEL! My EGR's been throwing codes for the last 60k and I've just been ignoring it... well no more. Thanks very much for the details PDF of the dismantling and cleaning process. Gave me the confidence to pull it on. I reckon it took me 8 solid hours over the course of 3 days including cleaning.
2009 ML VR Dual Cab 3.2 DiD 5 speed Manual, ARB Canopy, TJM Bullbar, Titan Drawers
roadblock

Postby Ruggidone on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi everyone new to the forum here I'm going to attempt this over the Xmas break and hope it all goes well. The only thing I'm unsure about is those torque settings. Lol is it just me or are they a little confusing lmao any help would be highly appreciated.

:D :D
Ruggidone

Postby Danevs12345 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Just use common sense, dont tighten a 10mm bolt as if it were a wheel nut etc. I've done the manifolds a few times, never used a torque wrench. It's only the fuel lines that really matter, don't over tighten them is all I'd say, it's something like 38nm if I remember, not very tight, half decent push with a 17mm spanner is all I did. Hope that helps?
Danevs12345

Previous

Return to Servicing