MN coolant flush

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

MN coolant flush

Postby colins7014 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Has anyone carried out a full cooling system flush of the 2.5 later 4D56 MN triton engine. There is not much info out there. The section 14 of the electronic workshop manual is missing which is for service of the cooling system. When hoses are removed only about 3-4 ltrs of coolant comes out. Is there a drain bung on the block somewhere?
colins7014

Re: MN coolant flush

Postby colins7014 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Well after a few calls to different dealers over east asking how they flush the cooling system during service, the reply I got was all they do is drain the radiator and refill with new coolant. None of the dealers flush the block of old coolant. So I spent some time in my shed and worked out that by removing the thermostat housing and the thermostat on the lower front LHS of the block, close to another 4 ltrs of coolant flows straight out of the block. All in all I spent about 20 min going that extra mile to do the job as it should be done. I was able to remove the water hose which goes down to the EGR cooler and then on to the cabin heater and flushed that to with the garden hose. That coolant exits into the thermostat housing. So easy. Have got some pics if anyone needs them. Refilled system with no problems.
colins7014

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 pm

What was the total capacity do you reckon?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby colins7014 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Total system capacity is supposed to be about 8 lts I was able to get 7 ltrs back in. I would say that 8 ltrs is if the system was completely dry. Went for a good 10 km drive just to make sure there were no air locks
colins7014

Postby Froggy on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 am

colins7014 wrote:Well after a few calls to different dealers over east asking how they flush the cooling system during service, the reply I got was all they do is drain the radiator and refill with new coolant. None of the dealers flush the block of old coolant. So I spent some time in my shed and worked out that by removing the thermostat housing and the thermostat on the lower front LHS of the block, close to another 4 ltrs of coolant flows straight out of the block. All in all I spent about 20 min going that extra mile to do the job as it should be done. I was able to remove the water hose which goes down to the EGR cooler and then on to the cabin heater and flushed that to with the garden hose. That coolant exits into the thermostat housing. So easy. Have got some pics if anyone needs them. Refilled system with no problems.
service manual says to remove a drain plug on the driver side of the block. An oil cooler iirc
Maybe that's how you drain that 4 ltrs?
Froggy

Postby colins7014 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Will have to have a look for that drain plug you are talking about Froggy. None of the workshop manuals that I have downloaded have the cooling system in them. This section and many others are missing. What manual do you have and where could I get it? By the way the thermostat housing is on the RHS of the block. Got my lefts and rights mixed up again :roll:
colins7014

Postby rjjs on Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:26 pm

colins7014 wrote:Total system capacity is supposed to be about 8 lts I was able to get 7 ltrs back in. I would say that 8 ltrs is if the system was completely dry. Went for a good 10 km drive just to make sure there were no air locks

Capacity is specced to be 8.2L including 0.65L in the overflow bottle so 7L in the block and rad sounds like most of it.

Apparently Nulon Blue 50:50 premix is rated as a top up and straight replacement. Judging by the height of the top hose in relation to the engine bringing up to engine temp at say 2000-2500 rpm constant with heater on for the thermostat to open should evacuate any air from the system.

Mitsi OEM Super Long Life Coolant is recommended to change 4 yearly/60k whereas Nulon states 8 years 500k but maybe wise to observe Mitsi change interval- https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/ma ... ngine/sllc
rjjs

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Super long life is not for MN tritons. It uses the standard green coolant.

MN can be troublesome in getting rid of air locks. Using a vacuum refiller is the most efficient way, but Filling very slowly on flat surface works well.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Return to Servicing