warranty questions

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

warranty questions

Postby yakfishdave on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi all, had the MN serviced recently,(60000km service done with 58000km on the clock as we were heading off on a long trip) by an independant mechanic who assured me he had done it as per Mitsi requirements. Then while on the trip the manual trans developed a problem, it wont shift back from 4th to 3rd, now has 69000 on the clock, dropped into the dealer who test drove it and ordered the parts to repair the trans but asked whether the mechanic had done the valve adjustment as required on that service. Checked the service report when I got home and no mention of valve work done. My question is, should I get the valves adjusted while they have it, at about $400-$500 , or get it done on the 75000km service due soon?, would this void my warranty?, trouble is money very tight at the moment after the long (9700km) trip and diesel at a ridiculous $2.35 a litre in places.
yakfishdave

Re: warranty questions

Postby Greedy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm not sure they could argue out of spec valve clearances caused a gearbox problem. Should be no issue IMO.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yakfishdave on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Probably did'nt word the question properly, gearbox warranty repairs not an issue, was worried whether doing the valve clearances late would cause any warranty issues in that area.
yakfishdave

Postby Greedy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Whoops! :oops: I guess they could use it against you if something in the head went pear shaped. Haven't heard of any valve problems myself.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Horan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I have a workshop in nsw and own a triton to. the dealer I use for my warranty made sure it was very clear that the valves be adjusted or if any issues with the engine are raised e.g surging, running rough etc etc. If the valves had not been done it wouldn't be covered. The gearbox issue is pretty common 3rd gear synchros go. Cheers sam
Horan

Postby tmichel on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:32 am

I would get it done at the 75000 km service because if its going to void warranty it already has as you are over the scheduled service requirment
tmichel

Postby psaunders on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I figured I'd post here over starting a new thread.

I have recently discovered an issue with my genuine mitsubishi over rail tub liner/tub. Basically it has warn through the paint where the plastic lip meets the paint work.
I have been told by a few people I should take it up as a warranty repair. I'm wondering if I am wasting my time or if I should just cut my losses and learn from it and get a rhino liner out of my own pocket or should I chase this as a warranty job?

If it is a possible warranty job could I request a rhino liner over having a over rail tub liner in again?
I have attached a few pics to show what I'm mean.

Am I just being fussy/pedantic or should I be chasing this?

Click to view larger picture
psaunders

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Common problem - we see them all the time and usually install Rhino liners to solve the problem. Can't say we've ever fixed one for a dealer so that would indicate that they won't do them under warranty but who knows. Worth asking I'd say.

You'd better hurry up. Warranty on dealer fit items like this is only 12 months.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby psaunders on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for that NowForThe5th, I guess I'll have to grin and bear it, it's just past it's 1 year birthday... :(
Oh well you live and you learn..
psaunders

Return to Servicing