Rear Brake Reline and wheel cylinder Replacement

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Rear Brake Reline and wheel cylinder Replacement

Postby Lin1952 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Just had rear brakes done (not by dealer). They also replaced wheel cylinders although when I checked a week ago they were not weeping, advised this is normal procedure when replacing drum brakes. Expensive items at $88 a side which turned the job into $433.

Is it standard procedure ?
Lin1952

Re: Rear Brake Reline and wheel cylinder Replacement

Postby biggibbo on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

1st set on mine they replaced the wheel cylinders, second time round they didn't.
biggibbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:36 pm

There was a guy on the forum a while back who worked at a brake place for many years. His advice was that it was good practice to change wheel cylinders at the same time as the brake pads. It was the first I'd heard of it at the time, and I didn't follow the advice because I was doing it myself and had never changed a wheel cylinder before - but he did seem to know what he was on about and seemed pretty genuine about it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Drum brakes being old school, you would check the wheel cylinder seals/boots and piston for scoring and change out as required. Sometimes cylinders would fail prior to the drum replacement, however the brake fluid usually stuffed the pads.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Lin1952 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks fellas.
Lin1952

Postby leonbee on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Rule number 1. If it ain't broke don,t fix it. ;)
leonbee

Postby Tony on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 pm

leonbee wrote:Rule number 1. If it ain't broke don,t fix it. ;)

This theory is all well and good but as this thread was alluding to, if you disturb drum brake slave cylinders, (meaning pistons move to a new position when shoes are replaced) they can leak for several reasons. They also may be seized on on one side and you wont even be aware of it.

I must admit, I rarely replace on the newer vehicles here, but the older on older ones they seem to fail 80% of the time when disturbed.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:23 am

Problem is that brake fluid is 'hygroscopic' meaning that it absorbs water from the atmosphere and because the rubber seals on the pistons in the brake slave cylinders are not -perfect- seals this then results in -some- fluid escaping past them and setting up rust occuring on the -outer- side of the pistons. Then when new brake shoes are fitted the pistons are compressed backwards into their sleeves along with the rust-pits residing on that part of them that was previously on the outside of the piston seal. End result....?? Leaking brake slave cylinders....!
Back in the 'good old days' when dinosaurs, and I, roamed the Earth, and -stuff- was expensive and hard to come by, you used to be able to re-condition/re-sleeve them, but now, when -stuff- is cheap, and (talented) labour is expensive and hard to come by, it's far cheaper to just throw them away and replace them with new ones from China. .... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:50 pm

^^ this
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby leonbee on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Lin1952 never mentioned how many km was on the clock. If the cylinders today are more prone to faults I would have to agree, its in the best interest of the mechanic and the customer to change them and save the grief. :cry:
leonbee

Postby biggibbo on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Just got my rear shoes replaced again today. Wheel cylinders did not require replacement this time either (@220,000km)
biggibbo

Return to Servicing