Tappets

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Tappets

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:41 pm

I loved the little diesel in my old Vito, filter and fluids and nothing else needed touching for the 195k plus that I had it.

Also ran really well on paki juice.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:41 pm

I loved the little diesel in my old Vito, filter and fluids and nothing else needed touching for the 195k plus that I had it.

Also ran really well on paki juice.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AD07 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:05 am

[quote="Cowboy Dave"]Err no, it's not. I bought mine before capped price and I can tell you I've paid more than the capped prices every time. A recent survey comparing value across dual cab Utes showed triton servicing costs as comparable or lower than all the leading competitors. Sure they seem high at times but if the work is actually done there is often a fair bit to be done.[/quote]

15k Service is $290 for an oil change.....that's not high , its a outright rip off!!!!! :twisted:
I understand they have to make money, thats a normal part of business. I even supplied my own oil, but they couldn't discount my bill minus the oil because its part of the "capped price service".
Ive been in the parts industry for just under 20 years, and trust me, the mark-up on almost all genuine parts & services prices are UN-believable.
AD07

Postby GLRkenny on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:27 am

It's funny how mechanics are rip offs for having a markup and making money, ever thought how much mark up there are on electrical goods and so on?
I agree that 290 for an oil change is expensive but a lot more than just an oil change is done!!
In my shop I charge 199 for a basic service on a triton and make approximately 10-15 in the big scheme of things so a dealership with all the extra overheads would still make bugger all at 290 I beleive.
I would love for some people to come and run a mechanical workshop for a couple of months and see just how rich we actually are(nt) and then maybe a change of attitude may occur
GLRkenny

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 am

GLRkenny wrote:I would love for some people to come and run a mechanical workshop for a couple of months and see just how rich we actually are(nt) and then maybe a change of attitude may occur

How true is that, for any vehicle repair business? But they still don't get it. :(
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:53 am

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, but these expenses are what I call grudge purchases. They're unavoidable and you get SFA in the way of pleasure out of them. It's about as exciting as buying OMO (now that shit is pricey :shock: ). In that climate people will always whinge about the cost, and the higher the cost the more they'll whinge. If you can get past that and accept up front that it's all part of the joys of ownership and just cop it on the chin I guess it gets a bit easier. Also easier if you're confident the people doing the work will do it properly.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 am

I'm in the service industry also..
Abate the marine industry..
I keep accurate time sheets and invoices
I run an open door policy and don't answer the phone whilst on jobs...
But still people think your ripping them off....
And treat me with contempt after 35 years in the trade it seems to be getting worse..
Most recent is a 70 k job canceled whilst on the job via text...

Still people Wine and complain on social media...and to me..
If you just want an oil change and nothing else...
Do it yourself...
.if you want a fully equipped workshop..
With Fully trained mercanics with 100 years of combined experience
that won't rip you off.
Who Loves your car/boat like your own....
stop bitching get out there and find one...
They are not all out there to rip you off...
the opposite really...they wouldn't be in business for 40 years...if they didn't..care...
veihicle services in Coolangatta qld...for instance....
I was stranded without a clutch "bill" was quickly on the job...giving me an estimate and towing the tri away for free...
He gave credence to all my to requests and had my truck back on the road in three days and didn't have the clutch untill 3pm the second day..and I had my truck back at 12 the next third day....
All up $1300 as quoted.....that's service...
P.s.
$290 for the first service isn't just an oil change...
It's a logbook service...if your not getting that and just a oil change..
Change your mechanic....
I guess people just don't get....how long it takes to do certain jobs...properly
viking shippy

Postby Bazzer87 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:20 am

This thread is digressing quickly.

People are happy to pay the $$ if they can see the value in it.
Unfortunately in a lot of peoples experiences they can't see the value in paying top $$ for a service when the staff serving them know absolutely nothing about customer service.
Now I'm sure there are great ones out there, and when I have lived near the good ones I have had no hesitation using them.
But the majority of the industry is blemished by poor service and horror stories of things going wrong.

You're not alone though, try working in banking :lol: :roll:
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby al coholic on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Bazzer87 wrote:You're not alone though, try working in banking :lol: :roll:

Yeah, that's where the real criminals are at :twisted: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby har05l on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:42 pm

So my tappets are tapping, what's wrong with them :? :lol: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:44 pm

What's a tappet?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Roshambo on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Hmm, quite a rundown from both sides it seems.

In my mind it seems manufacturers have people over a barrel so to speak, need to get the service done at an authorised agent or no warranty, pretty sure most of us are more than capable of servicing our own vehicles and probably are better at tightening oil drain plugs than some MMA filter spinners....

Trouble seems to be the unnecessary items, i.e. valve clearances at 30k, big dollars and for what, wish I had have marked the bolts as I'm pretty sure nothing more than the EGR assembly was removed...Oh and to be told that the valve clearance check and fuel filter change would improve fuel economy, what a laugh!

That's where the rip off lies, pretty sure most people are happy to pay the bucks for worthwhile servicing, as others have mentioned.

From most peoples response it seems valves are ok for extended periods under normal conditions so goodbye MMA servicing for me, I'll be off to where my partner gets her car serviced, at least they can tighten drain plugs.....
Roshambo

Postby biggibbo on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Why does everyone think you need to service at a dealer. As long as it's done by the book, and uses genuine (or oem standard parts under legislation) then the dealer must honor the warranty. Key is keeping receipts that show what was done and the pars used - especially the specs on the fluids used. I personally would only use OEM parts whilst under warranty to save hassles with the dealer, however legislation says you can use aftermarket as long as it equivalent standard.
biggibbo

Postby jjj on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:28 pm

125000km, never had rocker cover off. Never had a problem. Quiet at idle etc. Ml 3.2did.
jjj

Postby leonbee on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:
Back to topic - the tappet job is hugely overpriced by bad design. Most of the time involves clearing a path to them and then putting everything back together. Why they didn't use hydraulic lash adjusters is beyond me?

Most likely cheaper to make manually adjusted than hydraulic. A bit ordinary really.... :roll:

Hydraulic great in a petrol. They can play up with all that soot crap in the diesel oil. So manual is cheaper to make but more reliable or should say safer in a diesel. If checked to make sure they are not to tight or sure take a risk. Your engine revs harder with manual tappets they use them in race cars.

Add the service cost to the purchase price of your truck. Still best value.
leonbee

Previous

Return to Servicing