60K service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: 60K service

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:36 pm

I assume after reading the service manual that reshimming will only occur if the pressures are out from factory spec, since each shimm will increase pressure or removing a shimm will decrease...soo its logical to my mind that if the pressures are bang on factory spec then fingers should be kept off the shimms :D MMMMM some professional opinion would be good inserted here...

Mojo..... :?:
Monkeyz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Non serviceable injectors I think they might be talking about cylinder pressure.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Monkeyz wrote:I assume after reading the service manual that reshimming will only occur if the pressures are out from factory spec, since each shimm will increase pressure or removing a shimm will decrease...soo its logical to my mind that if the pressures are bang on factory spec then fingers should be kept off the shimms :D MMMMM some professional opinion would be good inserted here...

Mojo..... :?:

As gibbo said, if the rocker cover hasn't been removed and the clearance physically checked and your book stamped to prove this (regardless of needing adjustment or not) you won't be covered if the worst happened, pretty much what I said up ^^^^^ before.

Your ride, your choice but just giving you the heads up
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Book stamped, all good, he had the top off the engine an I frankly have NFI what he was upto but I DO trust my mechanic..he deals with many of the local 4wd nuts trucks in the region and custom builds hardcore forbys.. .I cant trust the local stealer after they fkdddd up a simple service on me other car. at least I know 100% he has done the right thing by me, how many ppl can claimn this of their local dealer ?

Im still interested in the specifics of this part of the service if anyone qualified can do a little post on it..
and a little technical is no probs im an engineering maintenance manger by trade and would prefer the technical version, this would be for the 4D56 engine....

And im thinkin we are talkin 2 topics here, there is the cylinder head valve adjustment and there is the injector valve test, shims are used in the injector test and adjusting the engine valves is a set value of 0.15mm (cold engine) and is a screw/lock nut adjustment.

So Gibbo ya right on one count but talkin a different process to what im lookin at...Im interested in testing the injectors to determine operating pressure and to ensure it is within MMAL spec.. and getting info from anyone who has done this...

Sorry I think the confusion is my fault ...reading back I was not particularly clear..

Mojo... :geek: :geek:
Monkeyz

Postby biggibbo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm

It's adjustment of the valve lashes.

Rocker cover comes off and the valve clearances on each cylinder are checked using a gaping tool.

The valve clearances are adjusted to bring back to spec by adjustment on the rocker assembly (as you said, turning clockwise or anti clockwise)

Has nothing to do with injectors.

You are right, has to be on a cold engine.
biggibbo

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Like I said injectors are not serviceable the older type injectors are the ones that u reshim to target pressure. Which would be done on a test bench.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Hang on what model triton do u have
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

hvac guy wrote:Hang on what model triton do u have

2010 MN
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm trying to come to terms with a couple of items. How does the computer know the cylinder pressures, and from this how do you ascertain from the pressures how much an inlet or outlet valve requires shimming. From my experience shimming is pure mechanical and requires actual measurements to check clearances. Not sure how the pressure can calculate the valve clearance, or have I been reading this wrong.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 pm

ah this is what im looking for , I have a 2010 MN... Info on the INJECTOR valves is hard to come by.

I have a shop manual for the 4D56 but am doubting some of the info..

Mojo..
Monkeyz

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:12 pm

calblitzen, read back mate.. this has become 2 topics...

1 cylinder valves....simple measurement based maintenance and screw adjust......

2, .Injector valves, im trying to source info on those and testing/servicing. it has been indicated that they cant be serviced but should be able to be tested. sounds like Hvac may know..

Mojo...
Monkeyz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Cal the old way was on a test bench with a pressure gauge and a manual hand pump. U. Would gauge when the injector starts leaking at a psi of pressure and full spray pressure as well as spray pattern. U would use the shims too correct pressure. In commonrail systems this is controlled electronically.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 pm

BINGO>>>>>>

YOU are the Man hvac..

Cheers,

Mojo..
Monkeyz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Horay I'm helping.lol
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Ok I think I confused myself as I originally read it as 1 item as I knew the injectors are non serviceable. I have seen the old injector test rigs in action.
I have seen years ago the development of a diesel pressure monitoring system which consisted of a plate to measure the cylinder pressure and was installed in place of the head gasket. This system was then used in conjunction with vibration analysis to help monitor the health of large diesel engines.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:01 pm

$590.00 for 60k service including valve adjustment which is part of the service anyway I am told,i said I had issues with it surging ect(bit of a fib)so there going to check the manifold aswell
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby c_g_howard on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Dunga71

Yes the issue you are reporting is the manifold. I recently had the sluggishness and the dealer replaced the manifold under warranty to the new version and all works well.

get them to check the fuel filter for algae build up and it is also a known problem.

enjoy...
c_g_howard

Postby biggibbo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Dunga71 wrote:$590.00 for 60k service including valve adjustment which is part of the service anyway I am told,i said I had issues with it surging ect(bit of a fib)so there going to check the manifold aswell

Gotta love your fixed price servicing - welcome to the real world $$$'s from here on in though
biggibbo

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Yep,but very happy with my service Center so they will keep my business even in the REAL world ;)
Dunga71

Postby Hopeithurt on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 pm

$560 John Oxley Motors Pt Macquarie and a 3 rd gear warranty job on the box at the same time.
Hopeithurt

Postby har05l on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Hopeithurt wrote:$560 John Oxley Motors Pt Macquarie and a 3 rd gear warranty job on the box at the same time.

This wouldn't include the tappet adjustment though would it ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dazza_241 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 pm

$590 capped price at klosters in Newcastle
poor ute sounds like a tractor atm...belts are noisy...the tapping under the bonnet sounds awful..my dreaded locking gearbox has come back...cant wait for it to be serviced!!
overall though I think I have had a reasonably good ute since 2010....stuff all has had to be spent on the ute and I drive it like a car most days. :D
dazza_241

Postby Hopeithurt on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:52 pm

har05l wrote:
Hopeithurt wrote:$560 John Oxley Motors Pt Macquarie and a 3 rd gear warranty job on the box at the same time.

This wouldn't include the tappet adjustment though would it ;)

Sure did
Hopeithurt

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:55 pm

60 k done today capped price,transmission mount was shagged,he said they had a few in lately with this problem so that was replaced under warranty,had them replace the LH front inner guard cover replaced,they forgot to put that on the invoice so I had a win :D
Dunga71

Postby Tony81 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 pm

60k service done 2 weeks ago now $575.. Got to love having Lee and the crew looking after you. Even checked my manifold and gave it a blast without me asking. Got the rocker switch for the rear window reset as well... Awesome work guys and couldn't be happier :D :D :D 8-) 8-)
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing