Tappets at 30k service and general service issues

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:29 pm

I've been reliably informed that MMAL requires the tappets to be adjusted at 30k, as per the revised service schedule. I've got quotes ranging from $350-$700 for a 30k service, and one dealer has mentioned this requirements as a reason for the price disparity. So either the labour rate is different between different dealers, or some dealers aren't aware of the "new requirement".
Surely, if the tappets don't need adjusting, that charge (aprox $200) is unreasonable. The discussion I had implied that the tappets would be adjusted regarless, even if only minor, and that it was a fiddly, time consuming process.
I was also informed that if the tappets aren't adjusted at 30k, any future claim relating to them and the engine components they affect would not be honoured.
Comments?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Re: Tappets at 30k service and general service issues

Postby Blue on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm

I think the key word is 'greed'...

That's why there were up to $400 difference between 15k km service prices being thrown around...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 pm

My dealer didn't adjust the tappets at 30K, saying they will only touch them if the engine is overly noisy - they will definitely do them at 60K though
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 am

Subi, that's all very well, but if MMAL has since changed the service schedule (without informing half the dealers or their customers), then that has to be done... even assuming the cheapest place don't do the tappets, there is still a huge price disparity. Either way, I've got zero confidence in the dealers, some are unaware and the rest are playing politics.
Jitsukablue

Postby craigs on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am

Has there been an issue with the tappets on the Tritons or Pajero's to require this change in scheduling?. Has the schedule been changed for the Pajeros as well?
Can't say I have heard of any real valve related issues on any of the forums. When I purchased my vehicle I enquired about the ongoing service charges. This was also a factor used to determine which vehicle/brand I purchased.
I hope they don't end up going the way Holden did with my previous Jackaroo. When I purchased it, standard diesel oil was all that was required and a genuine oil filter only cost $36 similar to a Landcruiser. Then came the updated maintenance requirements - Two oil filters needed to be changed, oil needed to be a more expensive semi or full synthetic type, 5000km changes were firmly recommended over the previous 10,000 and the last dealer supplied filter cost nearly $90.
Is this a push for more income for the dealerships or based on a realised need?
It would be interesting to know how much adjustment was required at the 60k service by those that have had it done.
Such is life.
craigs

Postby mothman on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 pm

My triton has had the valve clearances checked/adjusted every 30k - & as far as I am aware , there has been no adjustment or wear issue...
My stealer has an "audible" check of the tappets on the smaller services (15,45,75).
Costs?? about $550 for the 30 & 60k services , over $900 for the 90k - ouch!! All other services are between $250-350 .
I do the 7,500k oil change , & my dealer is happy with this arrangement - seems they feel I'm paying them enough already ??
I'll click over 120 next week , so I better save my pennies.............
So much to do - so little time ,.... oh bugger it - I'm going fishing
mothman

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Interesting, mothman, that you say the 90k was an expensive one - I had heard the same for my MK V6 as the timing belt had to be changed and the spook stories started at $900 for this service - itemised account including changing the timing belt came to $525...

I stand by dealer greed as being the greatest discrepancy...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah, I'm with you blue, I booked it into the cheaper stealer 2, stealer 1 was just trying to justify their quote. Stealer 2 said they do an audible check and only adjust if overly noisey. Someone here said it's when they are quiet that there could be a problem? Surely cold and hot would make a difference?
Jitsukablue

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

Airbox full of dirt apparently... Unifilter going in today at 30k. Stock replacement is 45k, obviously only applies to tarmac driving.
Jitsukablue

Postby Pkucha on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Just had the 60k service done by my trusted local mechanic and had the tappets adjusted, total cost $495. The tappets were a three hour job apparently and pretty fiddly to access having to take the injector rail out in the process. I'd noticed the Triton had been getting a bit noisier than when I first got it especially in the mornings and when getting to higher revs. Seems to be less clatter now after the service. The cost for the tappet adjustment on the bill came to $205. The mechanic said they had been slightly out and said on other diesel vehicles he'd seen they often tighten up rather than loosen up like mine making them quieter and possibly leading to burnt valves etc if not adjusted.
Pkucha

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks Pkucha, that's exactly the information I was after...
Jitsukablue

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Uni filter went in yesturday, there was a handfull of large insects in the airbox, hornets, moths, things I couldn't name. The snorkel seems to be a big insect scoop.
But phark me, with the unifilter in, the snorkel sounds like one of those tools that drive around the place with big turbos and dump valves... Psssssshhhhhhhht!
Jitsukablue

Postby Buzzy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 am

Its cool isnt it :D
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

You cant here it if you put your window up ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:24 pm

True, it's not so noisy with the window up. turbo spooling is still louder with the window up though...
Jitsukablue

Postby Goldstorm on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:10 pm

I got my valves adjusted at Wakelings Campbelltown for 30K ($240) on its own and did the rest myself. They gave me a complimentary scuffed nudge bar where they stood all over it adjusting the valves and dragged the air hose over it. Nice!! - Lucky it polished out. :x

Just quoted today $690 :o from Phil Gilberts Lidcombe for 45K service. Still lookin for better if I can find it. It seems by the book a reasonable amount of work if they do it as per the handbook.
Goldstorm

Postby Eelesy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:33 am

Goldstorm wrote:They gave me a complimentary scuffed nudge bar where they stood all over it adjusting the valves and dragged the air hose over it. Nice!! - Lucky it polished out..

On the plus side, at least you know they did the job i spose. :D
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby smeghead on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 am

Sorry for the hijack...

I have my 30K service coming up... any recommendations on where to go in the ACT? Does it have to be done at the stealers? If that's the case is Comm Motors the place to go? If not, any recommendations as to where to go?

Thanks...
Sean

'07 | GLX-R | 3.2 DiD | Manual | Gunmetal Grey

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby YogiOz on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:12 am

It doesn't have to be done at the stealers (maybe once a year to maintain warranty etc) and I found Com Motors at Phillip excellent. :D :D :D :D

AVOID Bill Lilley in Queanbeyan :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby Greedy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 am

YogiOz wrote:It doesn't have to be done at the stealers (maybe once a year to maintain warranty etc)

They can't take your warranty even if it's never serviced at a dealer as long as a qualified mechanic does it. However, if you don't get one 15K or multiple of 15K service done at a dealer per year, you will lose roadside assist.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby smeghead on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 am

Just rang Comm Motors and they want $769 for the 30k... :o :o
Sean

'07 | GLX-R | 3.2 DiD | Manual | Gunmetal Grey

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby Racer on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Greedy wrote:
YogiOz wrote:It doesn't have to be done at the stealers (maybe once a year to maintain warranty etc)

They can't take your warranty even if it's never serviced at a dealer as long as a qualified mechanic does it. However, if you don't get one 15K or multiple of 15K service done at a dealer per year, you will lose roadside assist.

Thats right....any authorised Mechanic can service your vehicle however they must use Australian Standard parts....you can't sell non Australian Standard parts in Australia....

I guess I will forgo the Roadside assist after once the years up....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Choady on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Roadside Assistance costs less than $100 a year. I reckon you will save a lot more then that by servicing your car not at the dealers !
Choady

Postby YogiOz on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 am

I'm up for the 30K service and was told that a cold valve adjustment (ie tappets) was required...it's a four hour service. 8-) 8-)
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby ratstriton on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 am

Just had a quote from Knox Mitsubishi for a 30000 km service on my triton and they want to charge me $925.00 wtf is with that.
So I rang chadstone Mitsubishi $680.00 for the same service $235.00 difference, how can car dealerships get away with this sort of stuff.
Rang ultra tune can get the same service $448.00 dollars so I think I know were I going to get my triton serviced
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Servicing