Diff oil for the MQ Triton

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Diff oil for the MQ Triton

Postby Rain on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi guys,

Do you guys know of any aftermarket diff oil that I can use in my MQ triton? I have checked the websites of all major oil suppliers and all of them point me towards the dealer. I am pretty sure that the my GLX 2wheel drive has a standard diff and only needs 80-90W oil, but I don't want to take the gamble and put in the wrong oil.

According to the Penrite website,
Note
Standard differential shown. Manufacturer recommends Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Super Hypoid Gear Oil ECOLOGY API GL5 SAE 80. Refer to Dealer.
If fitted with multi plate limited-slip differential, use GEAR OIL 80W-90.
Rear differential

I have looked all over the internet and I haven't been able to find a supplier of genuine oils on the net and the dealers only sell the diff oil in 20L drums. As the diff only takes about 1.8 litres, it is a bit of a waste to buy 20L. However, I am still willing to give it a go as the dealers would still charge me more than the cost of a 20L drum to change diff oil in one car. lol

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me before I spend the big bucks?

Cheers.
Rain

Re: Diff oil for the MQ Triton

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Penrite Gear Oil 80W-90 is a premium mineral automotive gear oil manufactured with modern extreme pressure additives and friction modifiers, meeting the requirements of API GL-5/6 and MT-1, as well as many other manufacturer specifications, available from Supercheap, Autobarn in 2.5 lt bottles.

Standard diff uses Super Hypoid Gear Oil ECOLOGY API GL-5 SAE 80 and capacity is actually 2.3lt,
Have a look thru the forum and there is actually a workshop manual with all the info you require, also how to check the level using an allan key, poked in thru the filler plug hole,sounds weird I know but once you read it you,ll understand ;)
WUNSIE

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Supercheap have it on special at the moment for $15.26 for 2.5 lt ;)
WUNSIE

Postby Rain on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply mate. I have done the diff service this weekend. Missed out on that discount though. Anyway, it was only a 15min job and the actual diff oil still had its golden colour. The drain plug has a magnet and I saw a fait bit of metal shavings on it, but I think that is normal for a diff that have 125K on it.

Cheers.
Rain

Return to Servicing