ML 3.2 turbo Diesel 4M41 service interval chart

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

ML 3.2 turbo Diesel 4M41 service interval chart

Postby TimbosTriton on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi, Can anyone help me out and send me a scan of the service interval chart for my ML please?
I am not far off 300,000km and need to know what to do.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have a timing chain rather than belt. Can someone confirm this and also confirm if it should be changed or is it good for life of the car (I have achieved differing information on this). Thanks Guys.
TimbosTriton

Re: ML 3.2 turbo Diesel 4M41 service interval chart

Postby snakesoup on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Definitely a chain...think the chain itself should be fine, the guides may need replacing though....other than that im not sure...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:24 am

The top chain guide will probably need a look - cheap part from dealer.

When I was in at the dealer getting my air bag replaced, he had a Pajero (with around 250k) in recently that had snapped a chain.

My thoughts were the failure of the top chain guide. Presumably, early ones were prone to come apart.

From what I've read, its a big operation to change the chain if you go that path.

Apart from that I think its 'business' as usual.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TimbosTriton on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks to RHK and SnakeSoup, I thought it was a chain and have looked at what's involved - big job but nothing I cannot handle given time.
When you say the early chain guides were prone to break, what year do you think they fixed it? - mine is December 2008 according to the plate.
have a Great Christmas Guys
TimbosTriton

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:23 am

Mine's a Jul08 build date, I think we're fine.

I think it was earlier ones and the problem from memory, is that the plastic rubbing guide separates from the metal bracket. This can get between the chain and sprockets or jambs into other bits causing the chain to break.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Yep that ^ was the problem. It was the Pajero with the 4m41 that mostly had the bad chain guides . Triton got the thicker plus longer new type. With smallish inspection camera you can see the condition of top guide through oil fill . We have Two ml tritons in use one 330k plus other over 360k biggest thing to look for at these km in my opinion is harmonic balancer unless of course you hear the chain . Each one has had one new scv valve then the rest normal wear items or our fault items. The higher km triton needed a new balancer at 300k as you could notice slight wobble plus occasionally squealing belt. The carnage caused by balancer going has been documented on here can't remember when.
grox

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:57 am

At least we know what to expect with the mls :lol:

SCV polish at 50k, replace at 100k, HB at its descretion and......boring...no belts, new engines, injectors.... :lol:

Even the fan & ac belts would probably lasted to 200k, as didn't look worn when I replaced them.

The harmonic balancers must just be a bad design, or batch. My Power bond replacement ( touch wood) has more than double the kms of the original and is not showing any signs of deterioration.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TimbosTriton on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:48 am

That's great info, thanks everyone. Guess my next service is going to be boring - though I'll give the HB a good looking at
Happy Christmas to all of you
TimbosTriton

Return to Servicing