Is Oil Change Required?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Is Oil Change Required?

Postby RforRobert on Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:08 am

I have a 2007 ML Triton which has 44,000 kms on the clock. The last oil change was Jan 2020 and it has only done 2000 kms since then.
Do i need to change the oil as it has been 12 months or can i go longer?
Cheers
RforRobert
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Is Oil Change Required?

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:56 am

YES---6 MONTHS or 10,000km which ever is FIRST

Skimp and you,ll end up with a Sludge Pit for the sake of a few dollars
WUNSIE

Postby mitzi1 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:14 am

mate, I'm with Wunsie. Because mainly, the EGR valve sludges up the oil, the accumulation of crap in the oil is massive. I've been driving diesels for quite a few year now and I've found that for me anyway, driving normal kms of mixed driving , it's best to change the oil and filter twice as often as the manufacturer recommends, to
keep clean oil in the sump. They are a sludge pit at the best of times, but doubling the number of services does protect them a bit. If cost is a factor at least change the filter.
Cheers
mitzi1

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm

RforRobert, usually the advice here is pretty solid but I suspect the previous posters maybe didn't read all of your post. After only 2000km you're not likely to be dealing with any sludge and all the other properties of the oil will be well intact.

Mitsubishi servicing schedules are at 15,000km or 12 months and they do recommend that this be applied "whichever comes first".

The reason for this is not so much the oil but those fluids which break down over time, almost regardless of use. Most importantly these are brake fluid and coolant which MUST be changed according to the schedule. As for oil, it does have a shelf life and that does depend, in cases of very low kilometres, on things like where the vehicle is stored. If inside a garage then the oil will last longer than outside. Ditto for other components on the car which may be affected by weather - wiper rubbers, some suspension rubbers and seals and so on. A regular check by a mechanic will get these before they become an issue. Fuel too - leaving a car outside can result in a lot of condensation in the tank.

If you've kept the car garaged then I wouldn't be too concerned about doubling the interval, bearing in mind that when you do have it serviced it will require a more expensive service to cover replacement of other fluids.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mitzi1 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks for that mate. You learn something every day
mitzi1

Postby RforRobert on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:49 am

Thank you everyone for your input.
The vehicle is garaged so i might take the middle road and change it mid year. By then it should have another 1000 kms on it.
RforRobert
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing