Oil Matters (Merged with What Engine Oil)

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Poll - Oil Types Used by ML Owners

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 am

okay so I fitted my valve on the weekend on my MN GLXR with the 2.5HP diesel.

It is a little close to the cross member but I'm not sure if it is as close as Sierra's mentioned above.

I didn't measure it but I'd say it's about 1.5cm forward of the cross member and a little higher. So to hit the cross member my engine has to move back and down. I took the view I had enough clearance but I'll have a look in a few hundred kms and see if there is any indication of it being hit.

I didn't get the one with the nipple for hose so I guess mine was a little shorter than some that others have fitted.

sorry for straying off topic in this thread but I had some help.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby sierra on Mon May 03, 2010 9:05 am

It sounds the same as mine Dave.
You need the nipple for the hose or you will have to drop the shield still.
With the nipple fitted it will be just in front of the cross member and with the long distance down it could hit? Lots of leaverage there. Can you fit the hose with the shield in place?

A right angle nipple pointed forward might just clear the top of the cross member height and solve both problems?
sierra

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 03, 2010 9:10 am

yeah I will still have to drop the plate. I have a little hose that came with my drain pan with a plastic thing that will push up into the fumoto thing and should do the job temporarily each time. pulling the plate off wasn't a big drama for me it was more about making less of a mess and not needing to source crush washers etc.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chaser on Mon May 03, 2010 5:23 pm

hey guys i recomend useing a 14mm coper crush washer's. on the oil note at work we use castrol fmx 15w/40 but i would recomend useing a low ash oil like mitsubishi dpf oil. i think castrol has a low ash oil as well.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby Racer on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Upon advice from this forum, my last oil change I put in Nulon High Protection Diesel 15W-40. The mechanic uses Valvoline Super Diesel however I don't like it, the engine seems to rattle more, just doesn't seem to sound smooth compared to running Penrite HPR15 Diesel. Must be my fitter ear!

Since adding Nulon I find its very similar to Valvoline, when rubbing Nulon between your fingers it seems thin and weak where the Penrite feels a lot more stable..and a lot more like engine oil. Guess I will see over time...just another 15000 till Penrite goes in her!
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby horst on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:37 am

Hi Guys just new to this forum, sold my 1999 3 lit Triton with 200000k on the clock and bought a 2008 Ml Dual Cab 3.2 lit Diesel from a liitle old lady who had no further use for it.With regards to the 15000k oil changes is this usual these days,also is it neccesary to replace the crush washer at oil changes with this model. Rang the local dealer in Cairns to ask about mitsushi oil was told they dont sell it as a part, very strange ,when the local Nissan and Toyota dealer all sell their own oil. As a fan of Valvoline products will do my own changes and use Super diesel 15/40 low ash.
Also after a Canopy for the rear any recomendations, vehicle used exstensivly in Cape york /Fnq area so lots of dust and rough roads.
horst

Re: Oil Matters (Merged with What Engine Oil)

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:32 pm

I had the 10,000 kilometer service done on Thursday (basically oil and filter change with other fluid toped off). I had been using Total Rubia Diesel 10w40 semi synthetic and I liked the smoothness of the engine with it. But after reading a lot online I kept hearing how great Caltex Delo Gold 15w40 is so I brought some to the dealer to have them use it instead of the dreadful Tela oil they use. The service manager said that because the Triton is still under warranty I have to use what they supply. He continued to say that if I insist on using my own oil (Caltex) they would note it on paper in case something happens during warranty so Mitsubishi won't be liable. I explained the Caltex is superior to Tela and Caltex exceeds Mitsubishi's requirements. No go he said, so I let them put the Tela in and new filter, stamp the warranty service book and I went to the Caltex station had them drain the crapola Tela and put the Delo Gold in, keeping the new oil filter in place. This is the crazyness I deal with in this #@%*#@&* wonderful place. Stuffed shocks and springs at 7,000 kilo's "NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY SIR". "You have to use our great locally made oil that makes you engine sound like a bucket of screws and bolts spinning around, sir". Squeeky brakes, "Not covered, sir". Windshield wiper blade arm paint faded like its 15 years old "thats normal wear and tear, sir". Crooked rear bumper "it;s normal, sir, all of them do that.
Thank for listening guys, no one else here to cry to. BY the way, Caltex Delo Gold seems as smooth as the Total Rubia and at a much cheaper price.
Never send a truck to do a Triton's job
CamboWambo

Postby CamboWambo on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 pm

First of all I need to say sorry for the previous post where I rambled on about nothing :oops: . The Delo Gold is Delo Good, after a 350 kilometer trip I felt the Triton had a little extra power and smoothness about it. Idle is even smoother than ever, too. I am sticking to Caltex Delo Gold for now on.
Never send a truck to do a Triton's job
CamboWambo

Re: Oil Matters

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Greedy wrote:
Racer wrote:Is everyone else paying 50 bucks for an Oil Filter?

I bought 6 of them yesterday for $33.50 each. The dealer knocked $18 of each for buying in bulk. ;) 8-)

IF INTERESTED I CAN SELL YOU FILTERS CHEAPER ALOT CHEAPER DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR IF WANTED TO BUY 6 I CAN DO FOR 27.50 EA OR I CAN DO A FULL SERVICE KIT FOR $90-95 DELIVERED (PENDING ON POSTAGE) BETTER QUALITY THAN GENUINE.PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Re: Oil Matters

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 pm

he is still ripping u off greedy
Last edited by Diddy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diddy

Postby Diddy on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

i run CAT DEO OIL 15W40 (caterpillar) in mine it meets & exceeds all the requirements and its very good after 3000klms since last change i still have to look very closely to se if there is any on the stick its that clean i change at 5000klms oils cheap rebuilds are not
Diddy

Postby patrolus on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:40 am

quick question, if u put that oil drain valve on, u do lose the magnet in the original drain plug?! or has the triton none ??? on all my cars so far i always had one and it always caught some metal fragments.....
just a thought :)
patrolus

Postby ozrider81 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 am

do people buy oil in bulk, knowing oil resivour is bit bigger then 5L how do we buy our oils then despose of the old oil
ozrider81

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:34 am

It is a pain since one 5l bottle won't be enough for a change. And then you need a container bigger than 6 litres to drain into. Most councils have occasional days where you can drop off fluids like oil for recycling/disposal. Council tips often have the same sort of facility. Or if you're on good terms with a mechanic he may let you add yours to his bulk collection.

If you get a fumoto oil drain valve and a bit of 10mm clear hose you can drain fairly neatly into old 3 litre milk bottles.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 am

yes i can concour i have fitted the fumoto with the nipple and a 2" long hose to go threw the hole i drilled in the bash plates and now changing oil is never been so easy...
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 pm

x3 votes for the Fumoto drain valve for making life easy and if you buy two of the 10 litre sized Penrite 5W-40 Oil containers from Soupycheep (when they have their 20% off sale specials) you will have enough good quality oil to do 3 complete oil changes and the 10 L containers once empty, make storage of the old dirty used oil a breeze until you can get around to dropping it off at your local council's oil re-cycling facility at your local tip.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 pm

And there's 20% off today for auto club members.

Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm

30% off this weekend at repco for NRMA members. Just got 3x10l of Penrite HPR15 for $50 a container. Usually $71 each.

Regarding disposal, I went to the local servo workshop and got an empty 10l container a few years ago, and put my used oil into that, then as I empty a container, keep it a use it next time and so on. I just drop em at the local oil recycling facility one I fill a 10l container.
biggibbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Wow that's cool. Looks like it was Repco first at 20% off, so Supercheap matched that for a day at 20% so Repco countered with 30% off for the whole weekend. Why can't that happen more often?

Cowboy Dave

oil

Postby pete10 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 am

whos using 5w/30 oil in their mn ,im using 10w/40 full synthetic at the momemt ,just interested in th e thinner oil thanks
pete10

Re: oil

Postby aids84 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 am

Last oil change I experimented with 5w30, it used a bit more oil so I went back to 10w40.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pete10 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:50 am

was your fuel economy better on the 5w30 aids84
pete10

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:28 am

Interestingly, Nulon used to specify 5/30 oil for my ml for years and last few years went to 10/40.
Can't pick the difference when decanting into engine and haven't noticed any difference in economy.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Driver on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm

I just did my 160K service. Normally I would use Nulon fully synthetic 5w-40 but super cheap had a sale with Penrite HPR 5 semi synthetic 5w-40 Extra 10 Full Zinc. The engine noise was alot quieter. I was amazed. I will be using Penrite from now on.
MN Driver

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Try Caltex Delo 15w40 multigrade and it will be even quieter!
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing