What rated oil living in QLD

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

What rated oil living in QLD

Postby warnzie on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 pm

I know heaps of topics on this but in general do diesels need thicker oil in them like a 15w-50 or 20w -50, or can they run a 5w-30 with no issues? I have no idea about oil and what to put in my triton..HELP! :oops:
warnzie

Re: What rated oil living in QLD

Postby Buzzy on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Generally 15w-40 is standard warnzie.
Some people are using fully synthetic, something like 5w-30 or 5w-40.
I decided to stick with the same grade as what bitsofshitty use, that way If I have problems I shouldnt have problems if you know what I mean :? :geek:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 pm

IN RSA, on the v6, I'm using 20W50. gets a bit warm here... :lol:
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 am

Yeah, I have the V6 and prefer a 50 grade as well for the times your bogged or flogging crap out of it to get up tracks etc in summer and the engine gets a little warm. Anyone ever stuck at Nagala rocks on Fraser in summer would know what I mean - brown sand so hot you can't even stand on it and up to 40 mins flogging the car up a hill to get it out.
It only takes one oil failure to damage the bearings and running gear permanently. That I believe is where 50 weight comes in - and oil quality.

I use full synthetic 5W50 and wouldn't go below the 5 in QLD despite some things I've read - well maybe in Stanthorpe and surrounds in winter.
I think top end full synthetic oils are cost effective when you consider you don't need oil changes for 15K - yes that's in the diesel - if you use it. What's $40 over 6 mths and you don't get better protection when doing the hard stuff?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby warnzie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 am

It looks like HPR-15 is the order of the day for me, nut just another quick question...as our tritons have a cat and some oils can't be used as such some penrite oils is HPR-15 ok to use? I think the word was cars using DAP's can't use certain oils?
warnzie

Return to Servicing