First service WTF

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: First service WTF

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 pm

I hope my engine oil would be black after 2000km's - it shows that it is keeping the soot in suspension.

Wear metal is the worry - if you get rid of early you are not interfering with the run in process. Metal particles embed in the big end and main bearings and although they designed to cope with this to a degree it sure is better if it doesn't occur.

Modern engines are amazing bits of engineering and like any fine machinery the cleaner the oil the longer it will last. Drop the oil out of your diff after 2000km's and see how much metal is in it. Want to run a metallic grinding paste for lubrication? I don't change oil more than 7500km's after the initial run in period and use the best oil I can get.

Leaving the oil in for 7500km's from new is an individual call. Having owned vehicles from new and putting 1/2 a million or more kays on them and still being in good condition maybe proves something. Dunno.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Had the oil changed at the 1500km 'inspection' ... not a service IMHO as all they really do is check things.

Cost just under $200 inc GST ... Oil was charged at $17 per litre ... bloody stealers!

My thinking is better to be safe than sorry ... like having a turbo timer or allowing turbo to cool before turning off engine after a heavy run.

Hadn't thought about diff or transmission oil, but now thinking it is worth doing also (just not at the stealer).
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Homer on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:04 am

Agree that oil colour alone is not an indication of its lubricating abilities - particularly in a dirty diesel engine, but petrol engines run and stay cleaner in general.

I changed my oil and filter early (about 3,000k's) as I firmly believe there is a higher potential level of metal contamination from the running in period....how else does the cross hatching disappear from the cylinder liners and piston rings have a perfectly lapped line appear around them?

I have seen extreme cases (not in a car engine) where honing material and cylinder liner wear metals have embedded into the white metal rod bearings and turned them into emery cloths. Neatly polishing the crank journal down to half it's original size.

The changed oil stayed relatively clean looking for longer after the first change in my case as I'd expected.
Now it has some miles on it, the colour changes quite quickly after oil changes, but as people point out above, that is to be expected and part of the detergent and flocking qualities.

Petrol engines are heaps different to diesels....diesel engine oil is pitch black after 10 minutes running, especially when they pump the exhaust soot...I mean gases....back into them.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 pm

You can see the effect of the EGR on oil contamination after fitting the blanking plate, the amount of itsh (realign letters to suit), that normally enters the oil is amazing. With the plate, the oil still looks pretty good after 5k or so.

Our PUG is black after only about 1k and unfortunately I can't see a spot to blank the EGR.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

1500 k service at dealer no oil change WTF

Postby Joshlach on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

At the steeler having 1500k first service check
Asked about oil being used told that the oil will not be changed

Asked what is done to account for normal engine break in metal shear that can effect oil quality and contaminate the oil and the block filter

Answer given was ( we don't change oil until 15,000 k service )

Well they will no be touching my triton again

If they don't know what they are talking about they probably don't now what they are doing either

How can you trust someone to repair and maintain something if they don't understand how it works

Rant over

Marc
Joshlach

Re: 1500 k service at dealer no oil change WTF

Postby lachiem on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

Had that issue come up with mine too Marc.
I Changed it myself, and will be changing again at 6 months/7500 km.

Not concerned about warranty?
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby Joshlach on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 am

Lachiem

I plan on doing it all myself now
Thanks
Marc
Joshlach

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 pm

It has always been this way mate. I think they take the view that manufacture these days is a lot better and your oil won't be full of metal or any real running in residue. I change mine every 7,500km anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm

The reason the oil is not changed is the oil that comes from factory is designed to enable the run in of the engine to occur a certain way and in a certain time.

Changing the oil as much as you think is right is actually not a good idea. It will simply make your engine take longer to run in.
Lee-thal

Postby har05l on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Agree with lee, if it was needed to be done they'd do it :roll:

I've just clicked over 105k km's and never had an engine issue :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Lee-thal wrote:The reason the oil is not changed is the oil that comes from factory is designed to enable the run in of the engine to occur a certain way and in a certain time.

Changing the oil as much as you think is right is actually not a good idea. It will simply make your engine take longer to run in.

Would the oil properties be effected by vehicles in different climates?

For example someone who runs their vehicle in areas which have snow vs someone like me who's summer temps tick into the 40s easily.

Also what about different kinds of driving? If I was planning on knocking over 5000kms on a trip, would running oil with already 8000+ kms on it still be OK?

I have always given my vehicles new oils and filters prior to a trip, however I have also never owned a new 4x4.
macca002

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I think Lee is referring to the first 15k km's worth of oil. Thereafter ur free to do what you want?

Also imagine when preparing the cars for delivery to a certain country, they use appropriate oil for the countries conditions.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:22 pm

big_bob_thefirst wrote:I think Lee is referring to the first 15k km's worth of oil. Thereafter ur free to do what you want?

Also imagine when preparing the cars for delivery to a certain country, they use appropriate oil for the countries conditions.

Yep, however I am in the position now where I have almost 8000 on my clock and am planning on knocking over another 5000km in the next month or so with a trip I am planning on taking. Was going to get a oil change/service done prior.

As for appropriate oil, I am not too sure. Someone in Tassie would have completely different year round temps than me, yet both vehicles are delivered to Aus. Was curious if vehicles which knock over bulk kms in hotter places should b serviced more regularly thank the recommend services in the book.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 pm

From memory the service book you get with the truck says something about some conditions warranting more regular servicing than the 15k increments. I can't remember what they are other than that they involve heavier than standard conditions.

I would have thought after 8000kms you'd be well and truly run in wouldn't you? If I was about to do a 5000km trip I'd do a service first. Sure it may not be 100% necessary, but you want to be confident that you'd given yourself the absolute best shot at nothing going wrong on that trip wouldn't you?

Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Yep. Exactly what I was planning to do, however Lee said it would effect vehicle run in and wasnt a good idea.

I think I will just stick to doing oil changed every 7500 as I have with my other vehicles - 8000km's is already a pushing a bit more than I usually like and was planning on a book in next week.

I have never heard anything bad about having 'too fresh' of an oil in a vehicle before.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:53 pm

I took Lee's comment to be more about the 1500 mark, although it looks like it would be acceptable for it to last 15,000 if that was your go.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Joshlach on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm

It's not the fact that the oil is not being changed so much
I personally are more concerned that the filter is not

I did a very interesting course last year as part of my engineering studies (second qualification also qualified machanic)
Which was a international recognized lubrication and oil analysis course
which was also attended by representatives of major oil companies ,large mining companies energy sector maintenance personnel etc
It was highlighted during this course that with the latest technology in machine and engine manufacture to allow for more reliably brake in .
Contamination of the oil can happen quickly early on From metal shear,fuel bypass and hydrocarbons which can render a oil filter useless if left unfiltered and cause the oil relief to allow unfiltered oil to pass through to the engine

The oil itself can last for many hours or Ks if filtered correctly which sometimes
cannot happen with the oem sized filter

Oil and filters are cheap for a 2.5l diesel but a new engine is not

Thanks
Marc
Joshlach

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:46 am

Yes my comments were about the 1500 specifically,

If you wanted to change it at 7500km go for it, Me personally i have been down the line of oil analysis as it gets done for free from our oil supplier, from time to time we send a sample just to see if there are any issues popping up, not once have we had any issues from a 15000km interval, certainly nothing that oil companies or manufacturers have been concerned of.

I have never changed my oil earlier than 15000km, i also look after a lot of high mileage vehicles well over 300000k and they have been serviced every 15000km as well. Never really seen issues because of oil related problems.

It all comes down to personal choice at the end of the day, and no matter how often you do replace oil and filters you may just suffer a failure because of being unlucky,
Lee-thal

Postby fridgie on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:59 am

Mine is driven hard, only get 15000km oil changes and no issues after 6.5yrs ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 am

Anything less than the prescribed changes is simply tipping money down the drain. Some vehicles have changes exceeding 30k.

The exceptions when it would be good to do an early change include discovering a faulty air filter (with dust being discovered "downwind", been playing submarine or spending time in the sand (esp. if driving on Fraser Island - as it has some of the finest sand in the world!).

Also if you have blanked the EGR, the oil will be far less "stressed" by contaminants.

Doing your own changes will also allow you to warm up the engine prior to dumping the old stuff and you can allow more time to ensure that as much is drained as possible.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:42 am

Well, I will change my oil and filter at 7500km, due in about 700k, and after the 15000km service, I am changing all the trans, Tcase and axle lubes as well. While the manufacturer might know best, experience has taught me that oil and filters are cheap, engines are not. My Dad has put 500k plus on his last 3 cars and changes his oils and filters religiously at 5k. His cars either rusted out from under him or were written off by some jerk running into him.
AussieTriton

Postby Kegsy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am

The thing to remember with oil tests are one sample is not enough. You need to create a trend base, without regular testing the results are not very useful. Generally a one off sample will tell you if has already gone wrong. Regular sampling will help you catch an issue before it creates a failure.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rode on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Took the triton in as the window tint had a few bubbles & canopy leaking - had only done about 700km but they said they'd do the first "service" as well.
Left it all day only to find they hadn't booked the tinters. Grrrrr. Then they told us the tyres had too much air and the engine too little oil- we hadn't touched either! So obviously when sold to use they didn't do a very good prep. Not amused- will only go back for warranty. Now they seem to have overfilled the oil- is this a problem (girl here.... :D )
Many thanks
Rode

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Depends how much they overfilled it. If it's only a tiny bit I wouldn't get overly worried. If it's like a litre over then I'd be having an issue with that.

For what it's worth, when I collected mine almost 4 years ago the tyres were way over pressure too. Painfully so. :cry:

Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Servicing