First service WTF

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

First service WTF

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:05 am

So i booked in my GLXR for the first free service today.. Ive covered 1800kms.. I presume they would change the engine oil.. Apparently not. WTF.. A nice lt of oil would be nice for a flush out . After i get it done on wednesday i think ill change it myself. Im lucky because we use the same deisel engine il at work so i think ill go fill a drum up.. :roll:
GLX-R Alex

Re: First service WTF

Postby sierra on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:27 am

I was told the diesels are bench run and given an oil change before being fitted.
If you could ask your dealer to confirm that it would be useful and save you the cost of the filter and the work?
sierra

Postby Homer on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 pm

I think the bench run idea is BS.

I can't see them slowing production to the extent that would be required if you consider how many hours the engine would be run (maybe 2)? Times that by engines built per day and I think the hook up, rig, test run, disconnect and oil change would take longer than the build. Not to mention the cost of how many test rigs would be required to cater for volume.
That would equate to a factory filled with running diesels (and people connecting/disconnecting) while the new engines piled up in storage?

The biggest factor for me is what benefit would the above give the manufacturer?

Just my thoughts...could be completely wrong.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Homer,
I thought the same when I was told but the guy was adament the diesels, 2.5 in this instance, are built in Japan and shipped over to Thailand to be bench run and the oil changed before fitting. To make it even more unlikely he said they're run for 50 hours and he had seen them[or a pic] all lined up sitting on about 2000rpm.
I'll give them a ring next week, just tried and they're closed.
The question is, why would a salesman make up a story like that when I was already buying? I thought they were built in Japan until he said that so it's negative as a late sales pitch. Just to top it off I know his boss, the sales manager, from many years before and he's got religion and would ream any staff for telling porkies.
I'm just the messenger and that's what he said.
sierra

Postby snowman on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm

well it isn't our diesels but the old magna plant at SA i was advised had a very large circular engine turntable (think revolving restaurant). each engine was installed on a rig on the outer circumference and connected with fuel, oil, computer electrics etc from the o'head rig and started. The computers then ran them through various engine RPM for a full circuit revolution which took approximately 2 hours. they are then removed and installed in the vehicles.

hence why they do not use 'run in' oils anymore as that is completed in the 2 hours.

thats better than the old days. at the ford laser plant that used to be in homebush a family friend did some engineering there and said that they would completely build the car and then start them. they would run them at around 2000rpm and slowly build revs until they started to shake and vibrate like crazy. then they would back off the revs a bit then BANG full throttle right though to redline. turn em off then.... next.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 am

They wouldn't change my oil/filter without charge at the 1500km service either. I just did it at 7500km.
Choady

Postby amalinze on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:22 am

Just another question, How come there is no 7500 service slip, only 5000 and 10000?
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby Choady on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:49 am

At he back of the service booklet there are plenty of blank extra servicing sections where they write in any additional work you have done.
Choady

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 am

Yeah wasn't shooting the messenger Sierra ;) just sounded to me like a lot of extra expense for the manufacturer for no pay off.....maybe they were having a few DNF's at the point of start up, so had to do it?

Surprised me Snowy about the Magna's. I had a pretty good picture in my head of the Laser run in for all mass produced cars.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Just rang that dealership and got the same story that the engines are bench run and tested in a run in sequence, using running in oil and then have it dropped and filled up with normal engine oil. They are told the engines can be driven normally although the owners book does suggest maximum gear speeds for the first 1000km. He thinks that might apply to all Mitsubishi engines currently[bench run in].

I also asked about servicing, both the standard and cost and was told they have the best prices in Perth but don't do the free stuff like wash and vacuum and take pride in their standards. I will take it there next year, although it's not as close as Wanneroo Mitsubishi and see how it goes.

If anyone in Perth wants to try them or has any horror stories to share, it's Midland City Mitsubishi.
sierra

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Only thing I can say about Midland Mitsu is they couldn't come close to giving me the deal I eventually got from Paceway in Osbourne Park ($5K difference)
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:59 pm

NaffX214 wrote:Only thing I can say about Midland Mitsu is they couldn't come close to giving me the deal I eventually got from Paceway in Osbourne Park ($5K difference)

Wierd Naff.
Paceways was where I bought my Magna and GSR in the early 90's and they certainly gave me good deals then but they had no stock this time around, in commercial vehicles anyway.
Skippers quoted full pricefor a GLX diesel cab chassis 4x2 about $27,500 on road and $23,500 for the GL 2.4
Wanneroo got down to about $23,000 and $20,000 on road.
Midland advertised $21,000 and $18,220 on road and threw in a couple of extras with the GLX I ended up with.
That's almost 25% off the retail price.

It must be down to what stock they have currently and how long they've had it. Midland were keen to clear the commercials they were overstocked with in a crappy market.

Have you had them do any servicing yet and what were they like, price etc if you have?
sierra

Postby smouch1975 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

First free service today, in addition to book the following will be addressed.

Sports Bar loose and rattling
Steering wheel out of alignment
Tonneau cover metal strip - Rivets not sunk properly.

I find it interesting to note, all the issues I have with the vehicle are a consequence of what the dealer did.
NOT by Mitsubishi during build.

I did ask about an oil change and was quoted, $250 :o , as the young bird did explain to me " The Triton is quite a big car, so it needs quiet a big filter, and they are expensive". :roll:

"Please continue to file your nails and bring me somebody with half a brain to speak with" :x
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby aframe1967 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Smouch,

Did they fix the stearing wheel alignment? Mine sits slightly off centre to the right, they send me up to local Bob Jane's for an alignment and they said the alignment was fine, just the steering wheel is not centred. He adjusted a little but it is still a bit off.

Cheers
aframe1967

Postby Joe on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:29 pm

aframe1967 wrote:Smouch,

Did they fix the stearing wheel alignment? Mine sits slightly off centre to the right, they send me up to local Bob Jane's for an alignment and they said the alignment was fine, just the steering wheel is not centred. He adjusted a little but it is still a bit off.

Cheers

One of my pet gribes. I always take it back and get them to fix it because hate driving with the wheel off centre :evil: (and I might be a little bit anal :? )
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby smouch1975 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

Gotta take it for a proper drive on a straight road today.

Will report back
Mark

smouch1975

Postby Homer on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Dad wrote:One of my pet gribes. I always take it back and get them to fix it because hate driving with the wheel off centre :evil: (and I might be a little bit anal :? )

Me too, but it is more to do with my cruise control.
Mine seems to always end up maybe 10mm clockwise which makes the signal from my steering mounted cruise module not always hit the sensor.
Also the cruise control light is normally shielded by the steering wheel spoke, but when off line it isn't and shines in my eyes..

Life can be sooooo hard :lol:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Brett05 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:06 pm

just had a 75k service done and had a wheel alignment and balance at the same time......now I'm positive i told them i wanted a wheel alignment, not a bloody steering wheel miss-alignment. Mine has come back with the steering wheel rotated about 10-15mm to the left. I feel like i have to keep correcting it as I'm driving.
will be chasing this up next week :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 pm

There is no need to change the oil at 1500km, modern day engines simply do not require it. I am a Mechanic and i did not change my oil until 15000km, no extreme harsh driving during that time but still some towing and offroad use, i monitored the oil quality and level during this and all good.

Steering wheel off centre is simply a F$%k up on the aligners behalf, you set the steering wheel straight then align it around that, if the steer is off centre then he has not setup correctly. Mine came from the factory wrong and guess what, had it fixed at the first service.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby chaser on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm

leave oil changes at the first service for protons :lol:
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby smouch1975 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

aframe1967 wrote:Smouch,

Cheers

Yes mate, they did fix the steering wheel alignment :)
Mark

smouch1975

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Call me old fashioned but I reckon you can't beat changing the oil and filter as well as dropping the oil out of the diff as well at about 2000kms.

The reason? Do an oil analysis and see how much wear metal there is!!

Might be deemed as unnecessary by manufacturers but it sure sets up a nice long engine, trans' and diff life. So when you don't have to buy spares down the track when the vehicle is out of warranty - Who's winning now? :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Yep my V6 oil was black as at 1500 k's

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 pm

have a look at your new oil after 2000km after you have done an oil change and i bet its black then!
colour does not deem whether or not the oil needs to be replaced, its lubrication qualities can still be what they have been designed to be.
I challenge anyone to say that a new engine does not require some friction to allow the engine to bed in correctly. Do you really think a manufacturer would set a service schedule if it was not in the cars best interest?
In the ralliart and evo models they do a 7500 service schedule, this is mandatory because the oil does not last 15000 in one of these. Manufacturers spend millions on research and development and some people think that they know better than they do!
Lee-thal

Postby smouch1975 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Agreed, the colour of the oil is not a represetation of its properties, or lack of

Lee-thal wrote:have a look at your new oil after 2000km after you have done an oil change and i bet its black then!
colour does not deem whether or not the oil needs to be replaced, its lubrication qualities can still be what they have been designed to be.
I challenge anyone to say that a new engine does not require some friction to allow the engine to bed in correctly. Do you really think a manufacturer would set a service schedule if it was not in the cars best interest?
In the ralliart and evo models they do a 7500 service schedule, this is mandatory because the oil does not last 15000 in one of these. Manufacturers spend millions on research and development and some people think that they know better than they do!
Mark

smouch1975

Next

Return to Servicing