Oils aint Oils

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oils aint Oils

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Hmm, good thing I use the expensive stuff then. I hope you're not referring to Geek with that drift reference :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby variflex on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:07 am

Their website states that their Nextgen range is recycled, no mention of their other products being made of a recycled base though,
variflex

Postby rodeddy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 am

they state their Nextgen range is recyled, not their other oils ( not that recylced is bad, - technically oil itself does not wear at all, it just get contaminated during engine use... They remove all contaminates etc....not sure how it goes from there regarding visc indexing etc..
We used to sell base oil stock to valvoline for years, when we made lubes in Sydney. They used to take an ave 2-3 tanker loads (30,000ltrs a tanker) per day .... and that was certainly not recyled.
We also sold to Castrol, and many more. Each company then add their 'secret herb and spices' (so to speak) ,,lol :)

variflex wrote:Their website states that their Nextgen range is recycled, no mention of their other products being made of a recycled base though,
rodeddy

Postby trouble on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

Did hear a little word about castrol but didn't pay to much attention to that one.

Either way still not buying Valvoline.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

so 60-90,000 litres of base oil per day? :o :shock:

Wow. That's a lot of oil. Trouble can swear off the stuff if he likes. I've used it for a long time and never had a problem with it and I don't expect to in the future. I'd even be game to use their recycled oil if it was down to a choice between that and some no name brand. I also found their technical advice people were really on the ball and very responsive when I sent them some queries way back when I first got the Triton.

Cowboy Dave

Postby krimmo on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:05 pm

ok need some advice. i am due for my 15000km service. i am going away at the end of the week for 2 weeks and work is crazy and i am flat out. i'm sitting on 16000kms at the moment might do maybe 500km more during the week. is 1500km past the due date really bad for the engine? will it void warranty?
can i just wait till i get back? also what level on the dip stick should be on? there are two little holes down the bottom, my oil level at the moment is to the top of the hole closest to the handle.? is that right?.[/quote]
What oil dose factory use so I can top up.
krimmo

Postby variflex on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 pm

I can't speak for Mitsubishi however when I judge a claim or treat a fault I allow a component to go 10% over its schedule before I bounce a claim! therefore if a service is due at 15000 I would allow the customer to go up to 16500 before I bounce anything and it would have to be a service related failure before I bounced it, i.e. I wouldn't deny a claim on a water pump for the engine oil not being changed at the correct interval, mind you I work on plant equipment not motor vehicles so everything is measured in hours not kilometres however the percentage rule works well.

All that said you really need to be honest with yourself as to what work your vehicle has done before you allow it to get to the max service interval, if I had done a lot of dirt road driving or heavy towing or just hard driving I would not let her go 15000 before servicing
variflex

Postby rodeddy on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:10 pm

hi,
yes thats right ...... but that was only to Valvoline. On ave there would be 7 -10 loads out of 30,000 litres each day, 5 days a week. ..... BUT that was a number of years ago. Its all shutdown and now ALL oil is imported. Australia no longer has any Lube oil refineries... just like every other industry... closing down :(

Cowboy Dave wrote:so 60-90,000 litres of base oil per day? :o :shock:

Wow. That's a lot of oil. Trouble can swear off the stuff if he likes. I've used it for a long time and never had a problem with it and I don't expect to in the future. I'd even be game to use their recycled oil if it was down to a choice between that and some no name brand. I also found their technical advice people were really on the ball and very responsive when I sent them some queries way back when I first got the Triton.
rodeddy

Postby Maxiy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi all

Sorry if this has been answered in this thread before :oops: (iam lazy and got to page 2 and gave up looking haha)but i want to know what are peoples opinion on the best oil (brand/specs) for a MN 2.5, living in canberra?? I go up the snow every weekend in winter, and iam down the coast every weekend in summer, so tend to do a lot of highway driving over 100kph. I do very minor 4x4 work, mainly to get me to my favourite fishing spots. I would think 15w-40 diesel oil, from caltex or another reputable brand would do ????

Cheers
Maxiy

Postby leonbee on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Manufacturer handbook states 15-40 is good down to -15 degrease
10-30 for -20 degrease

Both grades are good for hwy -40 is good for summer cooks after 50deg

How cold will it be on when you fire her up. Cold engine, cold early morning starts or cold blizzards is the concern and should decide your choice. No more than -15 go 15-40 below -20 go the castrol 5-40 magnetic.

No mention of anti freeze in the coolant in the manual. Check with the dealer for specs. :o
leonbee

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Pretty sure the standard coolant is good for well below zero.

As for oil I run 5w-40 but note the machine in supercheap today recommended 10w-30.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Maxiy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:17 am

Thanks Leonbee And Dave

The coldest start i would ever do is -10 (only when iam camping in the mountains mid winter) it normally averages between 0 to -5 in canberra of a winter morning but rarely drops below -5. Looks like the good old 15w-40 will be the goer.

Thanks All
Maxiy

Postby leonbee on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:17 pm

I prefer to run a thicker oil over thin. I like to have oil all over my engine parts at start up unlike a thin oil that drains completely to the sump. Alot of hype about thin oils and fuel saving but I personally don't believe it. Thin oil in extreme cold climates but not Australia. I like oil to stay on my dipstick so I can check it.

I check my oil by dabbing the dipstick on tissue paper and inspect the dirt ring on the outside. If you check it every 1000km and keep the papers you will see the ring change. A trick I was told by an old mechnic.

Lov that car......... :D
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:23 pm

har05l wrote:Can't find anything relevant so same as my fuel filter supply I picked up a couple of oil filters @ $21
Brand is Nippon and again a bargain price compared to oem

is that nippon Japan or nippon st of bangladesh India.... :?

They don't use toilet paper in India, wonder what they put in the filters.... :lol:

Why you all laughing,, They supply Mitsubishi as well,, you paid $65.oo :lol: :lol:

I CRACK ME UP.....
leonbee

Postby Maxiy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi all

as some of you may have seen, CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4, full sythetic oil was on sale over the weekend at super cheap auto for 60% off (27.49 each) so i grabbed 10 litres of the stuff because iam a sucker for a bargain. the only reason i got this oil was because the oil selector function on the castrol website recommended this oil for my 2014 MN 2.5 Triton, and it was on sale.

I had a chat to a mate and he had his reservations about if it was suitable for diesel engines. I am now worried that it is not. Has anyone ever used this oil in their triton ??? does it run fine in a diesel engine ??

cheers all :)

Max
Maxiy

Postby cookie1 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Maxiy wrote:I had a chat to a mate and he had his reservations about if it was suitable for diesel engines. I am now worried that it is not. Has anyone ever used this oil in their triton ??? does it run fine in a diesel engine ??

Its ACEA A3\B4 classification isnt it? Any more info on his reservations, I'm curious. Probably not suitable for engine with DPF.
cookie1

Postby Maxiy on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:30 am

cookie1 wrote:
Maxiy wrote:I had a chat to a mate and he had his reservations about if it was suitable for diesel engines. I am now worried that it is not. Has anyone ever used this oil in their triton ??? does it run fine in a diesel engine ??

Its ACEA A3\B4 classification isnt it? Any more info on his reservations, I'm curious. Probably not suitable for engine with DPF.
Yes it is ACEA A3\B4, so is suitable for diesel engines.

ACEA Description: (A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.)

It is not suitable for diesel particulate filters (DPF) however i am of the understanding that the MN does not have a DPF (mine is stock so has the OEM filter) Is this correct ????

His reservations are that it is too thin, and as some have mentioned drains from the engine between starts.

SO can anyone shed any light on this oil for us ?? i want to do a change this wekend so would love to know if i can use it or not hahaha.
Maxiy

Postby mitzikatzi on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 am

No you don't 't have a DPP. (However there is a thread on here that suggests a very small number do.)

OIl viscosity are in the Handbook. page 8.9 5w30 suitable for -30 to 50 c
mitzikatzi

Postby Maxiy on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks mitzikatzi

Yeah i read the manual and it all checks out viscosity wise, and the API/ACEA ratings all check out also. I guess i have just freaked myself out with reading this thread and about all the other factors in play with oils. I guess i will put it in and see how it goes. Think i should be fine considering that the oil selector on the castrol site recommended this oil, the APi/ACEA ratings all match and the viscosity fits in the range recommended in the manual

will bite the bullet and put it in.
Maxiy

Postby cookie1 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:20 am

MAxiy, fwiw I did a change on the weekend with same oil, much quieter. Next service is in 6 months so I'm happy to run it for the price :)
cookie1

Postby Maxiy on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:04 am

Cheers cookie1 i will do mine on sat, shall see if it makes a difference to the engine noise 8-) . Got my filters delivered today (first diesel i have owned so first filter i have seen) they are bloody HUGE :shock: , although iam used to the little baby filters on my old lancer :oops:
Maxiy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:43 am

Wait til you see how black the old oil is, you'll wish the filter was bigger.

Cowboy Dave

Postby cookie1 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Maxiy, I didnt bother to do the filter.. I figure if something is going to go wrong it will be filter related so left is as is :) I Let it drain for ages so there shouldnt have been to much old oil left.
cookie1

Postby DENTED on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi everyone.
Where I work I can get "Castrol Vecton" 15w 40 CJ-4/E9.
Is this ok to use in my mn 2.5 triton??
I can't see why it would be as the diesels we put it in at work are really no different but just double checking.
DENTED

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Vecton is a fleet oil. For big trucks, not little ones. Castrol recommend Edge as a synthetic, or Magnatec.

But, if it came at the right price thenl it would be ok - just need to change more often.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing