Oils aint Oils

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oils aint Oils

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:38 pm

sounds like the HPR15 is a safe option and not to hard to get your hands on in those out of the way places.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby CamboWambo on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:06 pm

The only brands I can find here in Cambodia that I have seen mentioned on this forum are Castrol and Mobil1. Castrtol Australian website offered a handy oil recommendation tool that recommended Edge Sport 5w-30 full synthetic or Magnatec Diesel 15w-40. I have used synthetics in my past vehicles, but I have never owned a diesel before. Since the stealer here uses a Cambodia produced "Tela" brand I am concerned that my engine has gotten louder since the original factory oil was changed out at the 1000 kilometer service. You guys please tell me which Castrol to use and I will go get it now and get the scary "Tela" oil out of my truck. I like full synthetic but if the Magantec Diesel is better, so be it.
Never send a truck to do a Triton's job
CamboWambo

Postby NTBB on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm

A few blokes using the Magnatec on here Cambo. Cambodia would be a bit hot for a 5w-30 but i could be wrong.
NTBB

Postby CamboWambo on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Great point NTBB,
I forgot to mention it is always hot in this part of Cambodia and always dusty. Today my outside temp. gauge says 40c. Usual is around 34c but sometimes up to 42c. And not to forget the city traffic (95% of my driving) is awful to say it nicely, bumper to bumper stop stop waiiiiiiiiit and go.
CamboWambo

Postby sierra on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 pm

CamboWambo wrote:The only brands I can find here in Cambodia that I have seen mentioned on this forum are Castrol and Mobil1. Castrtol Australian website offered a handy oil recommendation tool that recommended Edge Sport 5w-30 full synthetic or Magnatec Diesel 15w-40.

I think this thread has already covered Magnatec as being old tech and scraping in as the minimum spec acceptable but used by the dealers because they get it cheap.
:(
sierra

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:58 am

After doing some online surfing for a 15w-40 full synthetic, I have to decided that I will try Royal Purple. They have a distributor in Thailand, so close enough to get an order in or make a road trip to pick some up as it's a nice place to visit anyways.
CamboWambo

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:52 am

This was the most info I could find to check the specs.

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/files/8G7 ... moamps.pdf

They rave about it on this forum!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/mainten ... iew-3.html

Might void the warranty if Mitsubishi measured the power gains being claimed? ;)

http://tinyurl.com/ylhoko9
sierra

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks sierra for the info on the specs
How do the spec numbers look to you? I get light headed and dizzy looking at all the numbers and trying to figure it out. Does it show all the important info?
CamboWambo

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:40 pm

The only info they give is about viscosity and a broad claim that the specs are above the warranty minimums for new cars.

This is what was specified to base any search on as a minimum.

'for the 3.2 diesel buy a 15w/40 semi synthetic, medium ash (1.3% to 1.5%), Ch4/sj, JASO Dh1 with a TBN (total base No) greater than say 10 (preferably up around 11 or so) in a reputable brand, these specs will set you on the right track.
in cold climates go for a 10w/40 same specs'

Just found the specs for Royal Purple!!

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

All looks good apart from zero Sulphate Ash content but that might be because it's a full synthetic?
:D
sierra

Postby tryhard on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 pm

hey Aussie

The MN Triton book says the new 2.5 should use engine oil of the proper SAE viscosity according to atmpospheric temp. then shows a table with pretty much every rating as being suitable between -10 and 50 degrees C ... SAE 20W-40, SAE 15W-40 plus SAE 10W-30 and then SAE 5W-30 and SAE 30 rated up to 40 degrees C atmospheric temp

and then says they should meet ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5 and API SG or higher specifications

and then it says use engine oil conforming to API classification "For Service SG" or higher, ILSAC certified oil, ACEA Classification A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, or A5/B5

Does all that mean if I look for an oil similar specs to what you're using (15w/40, semi synthetic 1.3% ash JASO DH1, API CH-4) I'll still be right ? And I guess I can't convince you to mention a brand with any hints who might meet that spec that I can buy in 10 Litre drum at Supercrap ?

Cheers mate
Carl
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby Aussie on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm

from what you are saying I take it that it is a petrol ?

the API service rating "SG" is also noah stuff, do not use it as there is much better available.

when they talk about ILSAC they are usually referring to an "energy conservative rating" and when it comes to this GF-2 is about the start but GF-4 is better but to get GF-4 the viscosity has to be no thicker than 10w/30.

the temp range you refer to is ambient temps in your area and is a guide only.

mine is a diesel and the specs i am using are for the diesel, not to say you can't use it in a petrol but there is better ways to go for petrols.

10w/40 or 10w/30, api SM, ILSAC GF-4, semi syn also would be my preference here for the petrol....i just love semi syns.

the brand I am using cannot be purchased from supercheap.

cheers
Aussie

Postby sierra on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Aussie wrote:from what you are saying I take it that it is a petrol ?

Tryhard is talking about the new MN Triton with the 2.5HP diesel Aussie.

'The MN Triton book says the new 2.5 should use engine oil of-'
sierra

Postby Aussie on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:39 pm

ok, now this is very important ... does it have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) fitted, if it does as in all veh with dpf's there are more specs to satisy and these are even more important than before.

the dpf is for filtering exhaust gas's according to euro IV and/or euro V emission standards (nothing to do with ACEA) and for these vehicles it is another ball game totaly

they must have ash lower than 1% and built with different tech additives, most formulations for this only allow a full synthetic.

the only approved formulations for this are either a 5w/30 or a 10w/40 but as i said must meet either euro IV or euro V

I do not know but I suspect the new 2.5 will have the dpf, can some one confirm this or not.

It is also important to note than when they say "SG or better" and start talking about "ILSAC", theses ratings refer to petrol engines
Aussie

Postby tryhard on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:41 pm

mate it doesn't mention a DPF but the manual says there is a Fuel Filter Indicator Lamp for diesel-powered vehicles only. This filter maintenance is then shown in another bit of the manual, where you loosen a drain plug and pump a hand pump to force water out of the drain plug. Sounds like the filter is used to bleed air or water from the system though, so I ssume it's not the same thing (sorry, changing the oil is the limit of my mechanical expertise!)
---

tryhard

Postby tryhard on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:47 pm

and sorry ... as suspected I am an idiot and read the wrong page of the oil section and got the petrol engine specs - the diesel says :

ACEA classification A3/B3, A3/B4 or A5/B5
and
API Classification CF-4

The SAE stuff was right as I read that from the diesel section (cross-eyed git)
---

tryhard

Postby Aussie on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:07 pm

thats cool tryhard, no probs, in your case go for the specs i use in mine seeing you are in QLD, cheers
Aussie

Postby NTBB on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 pm

Old man used boss oils in his Darwin work shop I did a quick search and they have a 15w-40 that meets Aussies specs. Couldn't find a aus web site tho :?
NTBB

Postby CamboWambo on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Help!
I went to a big local oil change place and I asked for Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15w40. The guy in charge said they don't have Magnatec any more, now the new improved is Castrol RX New Gen Diesel 15w-40, new and better he said. So dumb me just smiled and said "I'll take, go ahead and put her in" so put it in they did. I brought home the half bottle (5 liters bottles) and read the specs off the bottle and almost died.
ACEA ES (or E5, not clear printing)
Medium ash technology
Volvo, VDS, MB2283
API CH-4/SG
Turbo tested

How bad is this? I couldn't find any more specs online.
CamboWambo

Postby tryhard on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 am

Aussie wrote:thats cool tryhard, no probs, in your case go for the specs i use in mine seeing you are in QLD, cheers

so mate if I still want to be able to go pick it up locally (most likely at Supercrap) if I use Penrite HPR15 (which by coincidence I've been doing in all my diesels till now) that's pretty close to your specs and a reasonable price at around $79 per 10 litres ? :

sierra wrote: Comparing Penrite HPR Diesel 15 to the above requirements.
Semi Synthetic
15W/50
Sulphated ash 1.34%
CH-4/SL{assume SL is better spec than SJ?]
TBN 10.6
JASO spec missing.

So apart from the extra 10 in 15W/50 and not showing the JASO figure this oil comes up to spec, apparently?

Only worry I saw elsewhere is someone with a Nissan Patrol going to 15W-50 instead of 15W-40 made the engine noisier.

Having said all that, this Queensland based oil looks close to the specs you've mentioned ? :

http://www.synforce.com.au/4WD.html

"Cruiser Oil … Advanced Semi Synthetic formulation engine lubricant offering better protection and conforming to JASO DH-1, Japanese Standards Organization specification for Japanese diesel engines.

Cruiser Oil meets or exceeds the following standards ;

SAE 15w/40 ... API CH-4/SJ ...JASO DH-1 ... ACEA ; A3, B3, E3 ... Sulphated Ash 1.35% ... TBN 10.5 ... Viscosity Index 161"

and I noticed it isn't available at SuperCheap so wonder whether I'm on the right track ? ;-)

http://www.synforce.com.au/stockists.html

Cheers
Carl
---

tryhard

Postby Aussie on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 am

hmmmm, what can i say, the specs are exactly what is required, cheers
Aussie

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:18 am

Aussie wrote:hmmmm, what can i say, the specs are exactly what is required, cheers

The TBN is 10.5 while the one you use is higher at 11.64
Does that mean yours is better with a longer life?
:?
sierra

Postby Aussie on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am

no, the exact explanation is that the spec quoted on the web site has not been updated to read 11.64, cheers
Aussie

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 am

Good news if you live in Queensland but for WA it would mean a 14 hour round trip to Kalgoorlie to pick some up.
My daughter is a nurse there so I'll get her to pick some up later on before I run out of the Penrite.
;) :)
sierra

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 am

I'd like to know if the ProSYN 1040 or ProSYN 1550 is as good as the full synthetic Mobil 1 or Nulon products?

Why do you like semi synthetics Aussie?

I would assume the full synthetics would be higher spec and shear strength/molecular strength (even if it is over spec for our vehicles)?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Aussie on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 am

I feel semi syns are good value for money even though the points you raise are very relevant.

I am a great believer in semi syns built using group 3 and group 2 base oils, this brew is that close to synthetic i don't know who could pick the difference but still enjoys the cost benefits of using some group 2.

semi syns using group 3 and group 1 are not as good as the above but in the main thats what most companies use in their semi syns.

so there are semi syns and there are semi syns and there is no legislation in this country to force blenders to conform to any standard (a real shame) so when it comes to semi syns and syns ethics play a big part.

beware of "synthetic fortified", "synthetic enhanced" and "synthetic performance" etc on labels, companies using this terminology just want to throw the word synthetic arround to impress you but in fact there would be very little synthetic in the blend if at all.

then there are companies claiming semi syn with as little as 30% syn in the blend, in europe and other parts to claim semi syn you must have at least 50% syn base oil in the blend, again no legislation in australia.

if legislation ever came about you would see widespread changes to labelling, but alas ..........

there are also group 4 and group 5 synthetics but generally speaking most engine oils on the market focus on group 3 as the synthetic component

cheers
Aussie

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing