Oils aint Oils

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oils aint Oils

Postby har05l on Fri May 23, 2014 5:33 pm

After lots of reading and advise and seeing most people are using caltex delo 400 or penrite hpr-5 I ended up picking an oil I've never seen mentioned here before.
It's made by Hi Tec oils and fits all the relevant criteria's needed based on the 2.5's owner manual.
Priced at $109 for a 20ltr drum it's on par in pricing also. Will see how it goes after oil change tomorrow
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri May 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Can't find anything relevant so same as my fuel filter supply I picked up a couple of oil filters @ $21
Brand is Nippon and again a bargain price compared to oem

Click to view larger picture
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sal_troy on Mon May 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi har051. How did you go with the hi-tec oil? Seen this brand before and am interested to hear your review.
Thanks
sal_troy

Postby har05l on Mon May 26, 2014 4:53 pm

sal_troy wrote:Hi har051. How did you go with the hi-tec oil? Seen this brand before and am interested to hear your review.
Thanks

It's only been a few days but seems fine. Engine is quieter and it does seem to feel a little looser if that makes sense :? Power seems better but that's probably just all in my head :lol:

Because I was so slack in between the last service interval I'll run for 5k km's and give it another change considering the cost of the oil filter.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alex_m_84 on Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 pm

alex_m_84 wrote:Just regarding the Delo 400.
Delo's site mentions the multigrade is for Pre 2007 vehicles http://www.deloperformance.com/products ... -oils.aspx

Is this correct? Should i use the Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40

Can someone help me with this question please? What Delo 400 are you ising in your 2.5 MN tritons?
alex_m_84

Postby har05l on Sat May 31, 2014 7:09 pm

From what I've been told and also as per the handbook the 15-40 grade is correct Alex ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alex_m_84 on Sat May 31, 2014 7:27 pm

har05l wrote:From what I've been told and also as per the handbook the 15-40 grade is correct Alex ;)

Yeah i figured 15-40 but which one of the 2 Delo 400 15-40's?

The site has these two below and mentions this:

Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 is formulated to meet the requirements of post-2007 low emission engines equiped with advanced emission control technologies. Provides outstanding performance with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and also with normal and low sulfur diesel fuels, Delo 400 LE is backward compatible and may be used in older, conventional engines and gasoline engines.

Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40
Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 is a premium quality engine oil designed for pre-2007 engines and higher sulfur fuels (> 500 ppm sulfur). With exceptional soot dispersancy and wear control, Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 protects cylinders, pistons, rings, and injectors against wear and corrosion, providing optimum service life and minimal maintenance.

I thought i'd read a lot of people use the multigrade in the MN's, but the site says the multigrade is for pre 2007 engines? Should i be going for the 400 LE or does it not matter?
alex_m_84

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Is there much of a price difference?

Do they both meet all the other specs from the handbook? I tried to look but got nowhere on the ipad.

My guess would be the the LE SAE one is designed for use with engines with a dpf which our vehicles don't have.

Both oils seem to claim they're suitable for mixed fleet use which probably means you'd be fine with either - but don't take my word for it since I've not used their oil.

The frustrating thing is that the caltex website recommends havoline 5w-30 and then doesn't list your other options like a lot of the other sites do.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby alex_m_84 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 am

Not sure if there's a price difference. I need to look at the local shops to see what they have.

My father in law is a diesel mechanic and they use delo 400 on all their site vehicles. I've asked him to talk to their oil guy from Caltex to see what he recommends for the triton.
alex_m_84

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:31 am

The Delo multigrade (not the LE) is the go when you don't have a dpf.

Higher zinc content is a good thing.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alex_m_84 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:10 pm

alex_m_84 wrote:Not sure if there's a price difference. I need to look at the local shops to see what they have.

My father in law is a diesel mechanic and they use delo 400 on all their site vehicles. I've asked him to talk to their oil guy from Caltex to see what he recommends for the triton.

Had a call today from the wife's dad. Delo LE is what i need to use in the current triton's. This was from the Caltex rep they use for their work. I didn't have long to chat as i was working, but i'll try to find out why this is the one to use over the multigrade.
alex_m_84

Postby rodeddy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:34 am

You'll find the Caltex C3 Havoline 5W-30 is recommended as it is the highest quality, full synthetic oil to suit the Triton, or other moderm low sulphur fuel using vehilces. It is a SN grade, highest at the moment.
The Delo LE is also for more moden engines, but a grade lower at SM, probaly as it is not synthic based. The std Delo 400 is for older pre low sulpher engines.
The Fleetmaster Hitech oil is 2 grades lower than the the top quality oils we have today, ie being an SL grade - hence why its probably cheap.
If you look at supercheap or any other auto store, you'll find the cheaper oils that they say suit older cars will all be lower grade oils, usually the SL grade.
If you want top quality, full synthetic oil, with high grade SN rating, great 'cold start flow' with winter weight of 5W .... go with the Havoline C3 5W-30. This would also better suit the 15k km service internvals.
just my 2cents worth.
ps Your handbook will give you the MINIMUM oil rating required, but there is better. All depends on $ and how long your oil change intervals are, how long you want to keep your car and do you 'love' your car - lol,lol,lol :lol:

Cowboy Dave wrote:Do they both meet all the other specs from the handbook? I tried to look but got nowhere on the ipad.

My guess would be the the LE SAE one is designed for use with engines with a dpf which our vehicles don't have.

Both oils seem to claim they're suitable for mixed fleet use which probably means you'd be fine with either - but don't take my word for it since I've not used their oil.

The frustrating thing is that the caltex website recommends havoline 5w-30 and then doesn't list your other options like a lot of the other sites do.
Last edited by Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
rodeddy

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:38 am

rodeddy wrote:You'll find the Caltex C3 Havoline 5W-30 is recommended as it is the highest quality, full synthetic oil to suit the Triton, or other moderm low sulphur fuel using vehilces. It is a SN grade, highest at the moment.
The Delo LE is also for more moden engines, but a grade lower at SM, probaly as it is not synthic based. The std Delo 400 is for older pre low sulpher engines.
The Fleetmaster Hitech oil is 2 grades lower than the the top quality oils we have today, ie being an SL grade - hence why its probably cheap.

While correct for petrol engines this may be a little misleading for diesel engines. The API service classifications SL, SM and SN refer to petrol engines, not diesel, The applicable diesel engine service classifications run in a series starting with "C", so for example CH, CI, CJ. There are intermediate classifications such as CI-4 and CI-4 PLUS.

Because oils are formulated for specific applications it is quite common to find that an oil which meets the highest or latest specification for petrol engines may not meet the highest specification for diesels. Going to a later specification for oil may not necessarily be the best thing to do for your engine which may be better suited to an earlier specification.

Always use the Mitsubishi recommendations in your handbook as the starting point when choosing an oil and, if in doubt, discuss with the oil company of your choice.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:15 pm

So is CJ the highest grade out of that list?

Cowboy Dave

Postby alex_m_84 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:36 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
rodeddy wrote:You'll find the Caltex C3 Havoline 5W-30 is recommended as it is the highest quality, full synthetic oil to suit the Triton, or other moderm low sulphur fuel using vehilces. It is a SN grade, highest at the moment.

While correct for petrol engines this may be a little misleading for diesel engines. The API service classifications SL, SM and SN refer to petrol engines, not diesel, The applicable diesel engine service classifications run in a series starting with "C", so for example CH, CI, CJ. There are intermediate classifications such as CI-4 and CI-4 PLUS.

Because oils are formulated for specific applications it is quite common to find that an oil which meets the highest or latest specification for petrol engines may not meet the highest specification for diesels. Going to a later specification for oil may not necessarily be the best thing to do for your engine which may be better suited to an earlier specification.

Always use the Mitsubishi recommendations in your handbook as the starting point when choosing an oil and, if in doubt, discuss with the oil company of your choice.

Thanks for the input 5th.
I've had a bit of a read on how the API ratings come about and what they mean. Makes a bit more sense to me now.

So if i have this right, the oil classification is either ACEA or API being done by one of the following oil companies:
- European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) or,
- American Petroleum Institue (API).

The C rating is for Catalyst compatibility oils (designed for diesels) which also can have an S rating if they fulfill the standards for particular petrol engine oil classes.

The C ratings work there way up in either letters or numbers depending on ACEA or API rating and can also have "inbetween" releases like you mentioned (eg CI-4 etc). Current ratings being up to CJ (API) and C4 (ACEA). ACEA also has E ratings up to E9 for heavy duty diesel engines

It looks like all C class oils are designed to work with DPF and TWC (three-way catalyst) which is guess has something to do with the way the CAT controls emissions?

Sorry for all the babble, and correct me if I've understood anything wrong. Just wanted to write it down so someone can shoot me down if i'm incorrect (i'll edit the post to stop confusing if i have written something wrong).

I'll stick with the DELO 400 LE 15W40 for mine. Good price and gets great results at a local mine in their hilux's.
alex_m_84

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:41 am

Pretty much right there Alex. The API and APEA are not oil companies, though, they're independent bodies that set the standards. Some manufacturers also set standards and you'll see the Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel standards most often, but also others like Ford, GM, Volvo, etc.

When I have a look at my handbook the interesting thing is that these engines don't actually call for a particularly high or recent standard. API CD is what is specified and that is actually obsolete. What that means is that almost any diesel oil that you can buy today will meet the standard required to maintain your warranty. Some oils, however, may do the job a little better and you need to weigh up whether the improvements in oil performance are worth the additional cost. For example, full synthetics are nice but not necessary if you're doing intermediate oil changes or not operating in really severe conditions (probably 98% of us).

Looking at those Caltex oils it seems to me that the Delo 400 LE (CJ-4) is designed for vehicles with DPF (which we don't have) so I think I'd be looking at the Delo 400 Multigrade (CI-4) instead, which is aimed more at engines with EGR and/or SCR systems.

Cowboy Dave wrote:So is CJ the highest grade out of that list?

Yes, CJ-4 is the latest standard but is formulated more for low sulphur fuels and can actually work against you when you're using the relatively high sulphur fuels that we see. The CI-4 standard is better suited to high sulphur fuels.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby rodeddy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 pm

hi,
i follow along the lines of what you are saying and mostly agree. My original reply, although related to petrol spec oil, was just trying to show that there are ratings and its good to know what to look for and what your buying...
I don't understand where you say " relatively high sulpur fuels that we see" ??
Our sulphur spec is 10PPM and is ultra low suplur specs. In fact, what comes out the refinery is usually about 8PPM.
Since we dropped from the very old 200PPM, down to 50PPM from about 2007 to the current 10PPM around 2010/11, i would assume that some manufactures handbooks would be out of date on which oil to use.
As they would be basing oil specs on the beter lubricating older higher sulphur fuels.
Since the introduction of ultra low sulphur fuels, the oil specs have had to change to meet extra/ better lubrication and to meet emmison control std.
Actually, i would be interested to see whether the oil spec recommended from Mitsubishi has changed from, say 2006 to the current handbook. If anyone could look. maybe not ?? interesting though :?:
cheers, Rod :D

NowForThe5th wrote:Pretty much right there Alex. The API and APEA are not oil companies, though, they're independent bodies that set the standards. Some manufacturers also set standards and you'll see the Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel standards most often, but also others like Ford, GM, Volvo, etc.

When I have a look at my handbook the interesting thing is that these engines don't actually call for a particularly high or recent standard. API CD is what is specified and that is actually obsolete. What that means is that almost any diesel oil that you can buy today will meet the standard required to maintain your warranty. Some oils, however, may do the job a little better and you need to weigh up whether the improvements in oil performance are worth the additional cost. For example, full synthetics are nice but not necessary if you're doing intermediate oil changes or not operating in really severe conditions (probably 98% of us).

Looking at those Caltex oils it seems to me that the Delo 400 LE (CJ-4) is designed for vehicles with DPF (which we don't have) so I think I'd be looking at the Delo 400 Multigrade (CI-4) instead, which is aimed more at engines with EGR and/or SCR systems.

Cowboy Dave wrote:So is CJ the highest grade out of that list?

Yes, CJ-4 is the latest standard but is formulated more for low sulphur fuels and can actually work against you when you're using the relatively high sulphur fuels that we see. The CI-4 standard is better suited to high sulphur fuels.
Last edited by rodeddy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 pm

The valvoline synpower I use is sm/cf so I'm guessing it's a little behind the times?

Cowboy Dave

Postby liamk on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Got 20L delo 400 LE for $106 from caltex coopers plains. Just put it in with 3700 on the odo. My local dealer said they use delo 400 not LE. I rang the caltex info line and the bloke told me c3 5w30 synthetic was specified but said delo should be ok. Im also using it in my v8 falcon with 300,000ks and want to have one oil for simplicity and 5w30 is too thin for it. In comparison to the newer more expensive oils, the delo has higher content of zinc, sulpher etc despite being low emissions and safe for DPF's, so it should provide good protection for both vehicles.
Has anyone looked down the guts of a repco oil filter for a 2.5mn and noticed a plastic looking ring sitting just below the thread which isnt present on the original filter??
Sort of regretting not paying the extra 10 bucks for a genuine filter but figured repco has to be good quality. They also had silverline filters for 15 bucks but were out of stock.
liamk

Postby mitch_o on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm

liamk, the repco filters are ok, I wouldn't use the silverline their crap. I have had issues with the repco filters being hard to remove I don't know if it is the seal or thread but always been a pita
mitch_o

Postby variflex on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:18 am

My mechanic has always used Valvoline super diesel in mine, I just started doing my own oil changes and stuck with the same oil,
variflex

Postby trouble on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Valvoline is a recycled oil with heaps of additives to make it "better"

Don't use it!!!!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby variflex on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Is that all Valvoline oils or just their Nextgen range?
variflex

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 pm

trouble wrote:Valvoline is a recycled oil with heaps of additives to make it "better"

Don't use it!!!!

Care to substantiate that outlandish claim?

Cowboy Dave

Postby trouble on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Not outlandish, their cheap and mid range is all recycled. Hey I used it a few times myself till I spoke with a person who drifts cars for shi7s and giggles and told me that no one uses their oils due to it being recycled with their so called "additives" making it look fine.

Ok I admit that I'm not sure about the diesel oil but I'm not using it.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing