Oils aint Oils

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oils aint Oils

Postby coughy on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 am

while im on the oil im toying with the idea of using a 3.2 oil filter on my 2.5 has anyone done this yet???

as the specs for my car are z313
seam dia 106mm
overall/h 127mm
seal 70mm
thread m26x1.5-6h

and the oil filters in the 3.2 are z372
seam dia 105mm
overall/h 151mm
seal 70mm
thread m26x1.5-6h

as i service a few pajeros and im thinking 1 filter to fit all
i will be getting a bigger filter so more filtration for me 2.5 and the pajeros benifit by mass buying (cheaper filters)

just need to see if it fits in my engine bay i dont see why it wont as there looks like plenty room there..
thoughts??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitch_o on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:32 am

I don't know if it'd fit...? it's a bit of a squeeze as is I think you'd have to grab one and try it out everything else looks ok
mitch_o

Postby mitch_o on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:40 am

coughy wrote:ok so can anyone tell me this
i just changed my oil in the truck and i have got this oil and a good price for 20ltrs $135

http://www.synforce.com.au/diesel_engine_oil.html
it is the 4th one down it is made here in brissy local company which i like to support if i can

Diesel LOGIC ... is a Semi Synthetic medium ash (1.49%) SAE 15w/40, CI-4plus/SL diesel oil that has been formulated using the finest group 2 Paraffinic and Synthetic base stocks and additives available, resulting in an advanced Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil designed to meet the requirements of API CI-4plus, European ACEA E5-99, Caterpillar ECF-1, Jaso DH-1 and Cummins CES 20078, as well as meeting or exceeding many other specifications.

i was looking at this oil
Cruiser Oil 1540 ... is a semi Synthetic engine oil
made by them but i believe that this is better for my car

now this is the first time i have used a semi syn oil
it is dark like malasis golden syrup ??? is normaly like this??
engine seems to be quiter straight of the bat after a start with new oil in there????
will take for a test drive soon and see if any different in noise rattle from the old donk... :mrgreen:

Where did you buy the synforce from Coughy??? Which oil did you end up using? I've looked at wanting to use this though getting my hands on it is a little bit of a pita..
mitch_o

Postby AC137 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:52 am

Okay so Ive gone through the whole thread and have come to the conclusion that many people use these 3 and are happy with them.

Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40
Penrite HPR DIESEL 10 10W-40
Penrite HPR DIESEL 15 15W-50

So my triton has just over 220,000 on the clock (2007, diesel, manual) is it better to use a slightly thicker or thinner oil? For what its worth I’m in Adelaide, mostly city driving however may be heading up to the north west of NSW in January. What I put in now will probably stay in until I get back.

Previously it has always been serviced at the dealers...

Cheers
AC137

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:29 am

I'd think that the 15W-50 might be a touch heavy, even with 220K. Either of the others will be fine.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby AC137 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing, but thought it's better to double check... haha

Supercheap auto has the penrite HPR Diesel 10 on sale, $67 for 10L so might pick that up.
AC137

Postby t.woods on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Hey guys/girls. I usually just get my car serviced every 10k my mechanic puts in magnatec professional 5w40. Lately i hve been thinking about starting to do oil/filter my self every 7500 and just take in my car at 15000 for logbook. So i have read alot of the info on here but honestly most of it doesnt really sink in. What is the thoughts in magnatec that my mechanic uses and wat are recommendations for wat i should use my self. I live in great Southern wa if this changes things. I have a 07 3.2l. Cheers in advance.
t.woods

Postby catchya on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:37 am

Are you going to be using the same oil? If you are and i believe that the oil being used is fully synthetic, doing the oil change @ 7500k's IMO is throwing money down the drain.

Just do the oil change every 10k yourself and get the mechanic to do the vehicle check over. You will still save $$
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:56 pm

coughy wrote:while im on the oil im toying with the idea of using a 3.2 oil filter on my 2.5 has anyone done this yet???

as the specs for my car are z313
seam dia 106mm
overall/h 127mm
seal 70mm
thread m26x1.5-6h

and the oil filters in the 3.2 are z372
seam dia 105mm
overall/h 151mm
seal 70mm
thread m26x1.5-6h

as i service a few pajeros and im thinking 1 filter to fit all
i will be getting a bigger filter so more filtration for me 2.5 and the pajeros benifit by mass buying (cheaper filters)

just need to see if it fits in my engine bay i dont see why it wont as there looks like plenty room there..
thoughts??

I use Baldwin BD28 oil filters and they fit both the 3.2 and the 2.5. Very good quality, makes a stock filter look ordinary.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krossbain on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks Longranger, I use a lot of Baldwin filters on the farm and find them good quality and reasonably priced... I'll have to look into that one next time, genuines too dear now its out of warranty... are they the bigger one like the 3.2's?
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:24 am

I've used Penrite for years, as they are an Australian business that delivers quality products. Once my Triton was properly run-in, I started running the full synthetic HPR5 @ 15000km intervals.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.p ... products=1

It seems to improve the engine clatter when cold. Being a full synthetic, I feel comfortable running the OEM service intervals.

Interestingly, it is not suitable for engines fitted with DPF.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby t.woods on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:30 am

catchya wrote:Are you going to be using the same oil? If you are and i believe that the oil being used is fully synthetic, doing the oil change @ 7500k's IMO is throwing money down the drain.

Just do the oil change every 10k yourself and get the mechanic to do the vehicle check over. You will still save $$

I would use the same oil if it's a quality oil. Are the oil listed above filly synthetic? The Penrite hpr diesel 10 and 15 and delo 400 sae 15w40? I dont mind if its 7500 or every 10000 i just wanna start saving some money and also be a bit more hands on when it comes to certain car servicing. Cheers
t.woods

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40 am

So I gather the extra height with a 3.2 filter on the 2.5 still leaves plenty clearance around it?

I've noticed that the complete filter kits are usually a bit cheaper for the 3.2 than the 2.5 so bulk purchase and lower initial cost would be great.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 am

Just to clarify I run the Baldwin BD28 oil filter on my MN. There are no clearance issues when using this filter on the MN.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby catchya on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

t.woods wrote:
catchya wrote:Are you going to be using the same oil? If you are and i believe that the oil being used is fully synthetic, doing the oil change @ 7500k's IMO is throwing money down the drain.

I would use the same oil if it's a quality oil. Are the oil listed above filly synthetic? The Penrite hpr diesel 10 and 15 and delo 400 sae 15w40? I dont mind if its 7500 or every 10000 i just wanna start saving some money and also be a bit more hands on when it comes to certain car servicing. Cheers

Penrite hpr is not sure on the Delo stuff without researching. Nothing wrong with the oil your mechanic is using either.

FYI, I use Penrite HPR 10w40 fully synthetic on my 220,000k 3.2did. Upon service interval, 10,000k, comes out pretty clean. Burns bugger all oil. I have a HPR diesel catch can and the SPV Industries electronic egr mod which help immensley and it tows a trailer load of tools and machinery every day.
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Penrite HPR 15 is semi-synthetic, Delo is mineral.

Have used both over the years and I prefer the Delo due to price. Over 260,000 on the clock now.
biggibbo

Which oil to use?

Postby glowplug on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 am

Wanting to change my own oil and filter at 7500k intervals what oil should be used should I use what Mitsubishi use? Or just use what the manual recommends ?.
Cheers
glowplug

Re: Which oil to use?

Postby dazthespaz on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 am

I use valvaline superdiesel 15w-40 on mn. Usually never have to pay full price. If super cheap don't have it on special repo will.
dazthespaz
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Which oil to use?

Postby GLX58 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:58 am

glowplug wrote:Wanting to change my own oil and filter at 7500k intervals what oil should be used should I use what Mitsubishi use? Or just use what the manual recommends ?.
Cheers

By 'what mitsubishi use' i guessing you mean the dealer? In that case generally no, they use what they get a deal on and don't care about long term.

I'd go back to the early days of this thread and have a read, there is some very good information as to why some oils are better for these engines (i.e. quality/sulfer).

Many use penrite HPR 5, 10 or 15w for above reasons.

There are other choices people have also been happy with (i.e. delo)

You don't have to stick exactly to what the manual says, but make sure it's in range. Many choose 5,10 or 15w from the penrite range according to the climate they run the car in.
GLX58

Postby JohnC-08 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I use penrite enviro plus 5/40 full synthetic believing it may be a better low ash oil for the PDF.
2012 triton 2.5.
JohnC-08

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:12 pm

No dpf in the Triton. Better to use an oil with a high zinc content like HPR 5 full synthetic or HPR 5 Diesel.

Personally, I used to use HPR 5 Diesel but found Caltex Delo 15W40 multi grade better. I change the oil every 5-6000 kms so a full synthetic isn't warranted.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:59 am

Aussie wrote:personally I would not use an oil with a diesel rating as low as CF, i think the last time we sold that spec was to Noah.
What is a higher/newer spec than CF? I've notice that both Mobil1 ESP 5-30 and Castrol Edge DPF 5-30 which are both ACEA C3 rated oils are also CF?
jerrah

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:17 am

See posts on Page 1 of this thread. Aussie recommended CH-4. That said, one should balance the extent that one upspecs the oil used. If the engine is designed for CF then that is all that is necessary and going to a very much later specification can introduce complications with an oil designed for use in an engine very different to those in our vehicles.

The best recommendation, if you're unsure is to just ring the oil company and talk to one of their chemists. This is much better than going off their web sites which just tend to specify the highest, usually fully synthetic, grade possible - something that is completely unnecessary, especially if you're doing regular oil changes.

Also, if you don't have a DPF, be careful not to use an oil designed for DPF equipped vehicles, and vice versa.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jerrah on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:16 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:See posts on Page 1 of this thread. Aussie recommended CH-4.
Also, if you don't have a DPF, be careful not to use an oil designed for DPF equipped vehicles, and vice versa.

Yeah I saw the spec on Page 1 of the thread. Unfortunately my MQ does have a DPF hence looking at the DPF compatible oils. All of which I've looked at appear to have the CF rating which appears confusing given they're a more modern oil.

DL-1 or ACEA C2/C3 is what's recommended for these newer models.
jerrah

Postby Bazzer87 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am

Read this thread last night and saw that Penrite HPR Diesel 5 gets a good rap.
Happens to be in the Repco catalogue at 35% off - $69 for 10 liters for anyone interested...
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing