90K Service Beware

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: 90K Service Beware

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

pete10 wrote:Didnt need adjusting ,spoke with the shop foreman ,he said they rarely need adjusting

I strongly disagree with that statement. I nearly always do at set a day, and I have never seen a set that didnt need adjusting, although occasionally you do not need to adjust all 16 valves.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 pm

My ML got its first valve adjustment at 90k, only two were slightly out.

After the apprentice didn't seat the cover gasket properly and got oil all over the engine bay when he started it, I decided to do the next one myself.

At around 240k ( from mem), all the valves were still close to spec.

It really depends how you treat the donk. If you rev the crap out of things on a regular basis, be prepared that maintence goes up.

Like those old Italian sports cars, go for a spin and back in the shed for a tune! :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pete10 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:20 pm

thats what i was told DibbyDibby Dj,
pete10

Postby Icky on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Icky wrote:Quoted $1,798 today by Tynan Mitsi in Sutherland Shire for the 90k service on my 2014 MN diesel 4WD, delivered May 2015.

When I asked what I got for that price, the reply: " check lights, wiper/washers, horn & electrical system, parkbrake operation, brake & clutch pedal travel, engine idle speed, aircon operation, check for outstanding recall or service campaigns, small injection quantity learning using MUT III tool, check all electronic control system diagnosis output using manufacturer specified special tools, road test and report any defects. Almost a 5 hour service". Quote.

I had specified no need to rotate tyres or check brakes as I take care of these separately on a km schedule.

No mention of replace timing belt, or check valve clearances.

FMD. I suppose I should be grateful that they would commit "almost 5 hours" of an apprentice's valuable time on my vehicle. Any mechanic who took 5 hours to carry out that work would be working from his iron lung, surely.
Good-bye Tynan.

I didn't go with the local Mitsi dealer for the 90,000km service back then, and have been regularly receiving text messages from the dealership about the service being due.
This week, the offer is 15% discount off any log book service charge.
Beginning to sound like a national jewellery chain now. Put the price up 20% then offer 15% discount sale price.
Icky

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:23 am

They're obviously short of customer vehicles to go down the street to get their pies for lunch.

Did see 'road test' in the above.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rolv on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm

I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post the following;
With a few hundred Km to go before 90,000km turns over on my 2014 MN, I thought it was time I had a look at the valve clearances, and also change the the two timing belts (cam & balance shafts), fan belt and air conditioner belt. The timing belts came in a Gates kit with idlers, tensioners and seals, all for well under $400. As for the valve clearances, all the intake where slightly tight, except for one valve which was OK. only two of the exhaust valves were slightly tight, the rest being OK. The tight ones were only about a thou or so tight. So I reckon that is pretty good for those kilometers. Getting to the tappets was a long slow process. The rocker cover fasteners near the fire wall was the only really difficult part. It was a little nerve racking firing it up after all that.
rolv

Previous

Return to Servicing