Oil Filters - 3.2DID

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Oil Filters - 3.2DID

Postby Racer on Sat May 22, 2010 10:05 am

G'day Guys, there has been plenty of discussions about the types of Oils we use for our beloved beasts. There has been some slight discussion on the topic of Oil Filters however I would just like to read peoples thoughts, especially those who are experts in the field.

We all know the genuine filters are around the 50 odd mark a filter, this made me look elsewhere. I had a look at Supercrap and they were selling Ryco Filters (Z372) for the same price...I got on to Sakura Filters and obtained them for around the 25 mark at trade price, they seemed to do the job. A little research onto Sakura revealed they make the genuine Toyota and Nissan. There has been mixed discussion with these, both positive and negative.

I have sinced relocated residence and scoured around for a filter as it is due soon. I have come across Purolator ( http://www.purolator.com.au/ ) Oil filters which retail for around the 30 odd mark. I obtained them at trade price, they seem to look like an oil filter...thats a good start...I also did some hunting around on the web and they seem to have a good reputation.

What do you guys use and why?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Re: Oil Filters - 3.2DID

Postby Greedy on Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 am

I bought 6 in one hit from the dealer for about $35 each.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Sat May 22, 2010 10:58 am

Racer i have used Purolator filters on my old lux did the job but i would not use them again imo a bit light in construction.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Racer on Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah I read that somewhere Greedy..not bad...

NT, thanks for the info...I have read a few USA reviews and they have a good write up, particually against the OEM ones....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Goldstorm on Sat May 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I have used Repco oil filters, and wesco air filters which are both around $30. No issues with either I have even been into the Mitsubishi workshop for recalls. A filter is only as good as the seal. The genuine Mitsubishi filters have a pathetic seal. Try searching the part number on the internet you will find them for about $6.00 each overseas in Thailand.
Goldstorm

Postby snowman on Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 am

i bought a whole bunch of the CAV fuel filters for my old troopy once, in bulk, to save a few bucks. then i sold the car prematurely and i have about 10 fuel filters sitting there. :lol: :oops: :roll: so now i just buy them one at a time (although having a spare for outback trips can be valid).

on the oil filter though, as i have now decided i am doing my 7500klm oil changes (in warranty) and i get Mits to do the 15000klm intervals. (Mits said it was OK as 7.5k are not mandatory)

from advice i have recieved oil filters only filter the larger metalic particles. so i just remove my filter, upend it in the oil drain pan and then put it back on, i do that to get rid of the best part of a litre of dirty oil in it - but it is a pain in the arse considering what you go through. does anyone think this is bad or unnecessary practice and i should just leave it on? i dont really want to change it on the mid oil changes as they almost cost more than the oil.

in theory i could do 2 oil changes (every 5k) without touching the filter for almost the same price which has to be better than oil and filter once. might get myself one of those oil drains. fresh oil every 5k couldn't be bad, especially now i am chipped.

might have just answered my own question.... :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 23, 2010 10:29 am

I always change oil and filter at 7500km
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun May 23, 2010 10:38 am

any one got any Ryco or filter supplier contacts for a group buy........ :D :D ;)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lin1952 on Sun May 23, 2010 11:16 am

I do my own oil changes (Penrite HPR Diesel 15-50) every 5,000k (except for each 15,000 one) and always change the oil filter.

Have used mitsuibishi, Ryco and this morning fitted a Repco oil filter which was on special at $26 (usual retail 35).
Lin1952

Postby Pkucha on Sun May 23, 2010 11:30 am

Another oil filter to consider is the Nippon Max which you can get from Bursons stores. Tried a search on net for them and couldn't find any reviews about them good or bad, but had no probs so far with them. $37.60 suggested retail price but as I get them regularly every 5000km they have been giving me a discount to about $25. The good thing about these ones is they have a small nut/drain plug at the bottom of them so when changing your filter you undo that and let the oil drain out of the filter before removing the filter itself which makes for a much less messy change as normally I'd end up spilling half the oil in the filter out everywhere. Bursons also has Wesfil Cooper air filters, and Nippon Max fuel filters for ML's and pretty sure these parts are all cheaper than Mits parts.
Pkucha

Return to Servicing