rear mount turbo ML Triton V6

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: rear mount turbo ML Triton V6

Postby turner on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Is anyone familiar with the xede processor? From what I have found out these are a great ecu and come highly recommended from a few tuner shops so hopefully it does the trick, this whole idea to fit to a triton is in a few ways a trial and error project and I couldn't agree more that I will get tired of 6psi but if I can get it all to work at 6psi I will fell more confident to spend more on it and aim for more boost, I have some flexible exhaust hose also that I was going to use if needed at the turbo to eliminate any flex or damaging vibrations, at work we make all out own hoses so I have already made the oil feed and drain hoses out of stainless braided hose and I haven't finished off the ends yet so I can make it as neat as possible (thank god as it would be bloody expensive to buy that stuff)
In my mind going through it all I'm semi confident it will work but it's usually the things you overlook that bite you in the ass :?
I really appreciate all the comments and info, I'm making the turbo bracket this week so will post some pics and see how it turns out
turner

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Keep going with it mate it will be worth it in the end even if its just to sit back and know you did what you set out to
chrisdoherty87

Postby salt36 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 am

turner wrote:Is anyone familiar with the xede processor? From what I have found out these are a great ecu and come highly recommended from a few tuner shops so hopefully it does the trick, this whole idea to fit to a triton is in a few ways a trial and error project and I couldn't agree more that I will get tired of 6psi but if I can get it all to work at 6psi I will fell more confident to spend more on it and aim for more boost, I have some flexible exhaust hose also that I was going to use if needed at the turbo to eliminate any flex or damaging vibrations, at work we make all out own hoses so I have already made the oil feed and drain hoses out of stainless braided hose and I haven't finished off the ends yet so I can make it as neat as possible (thank god as it would be bloody expensive to buy that stuff)
In my mind going through it all I'm semi confident it will work but it's usually the things you overlook that bite you in the ass :?
I really appreciate all the comments and info, I'm making the turbo bracket this week so will post some pics and see how it turns out

I have heard nothing but good about the Xede ECU. They also have very good support from what I have heard....

Your tuner will probably be familiar with the software already, if not then find a tuner who is 8-)

I think to go much more than 6psi you will need to strengthen the engine, crank, rods, pistons head gasket, valve springs etc....

Great project :D

Oh and if you need them I have my original crank, rods, pistons, heads ( with burnt exhaust valves :roll: )
Yours if you want/need....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

Run it on e85 and won't have to worry as much about hurting things, opens the tuning window a bit more especially with boosted na motors
MilkmanDan

Postby turner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Cheers salt36 I think I will relieve you of those parts down the track I could definitely use them, my tuner uses the xede everyday and from all
Reports is a genius haha so I think I'm in good hands, mackay doesn't have e85 yet which is weird but I wanted to have a tune set so when I'm driving on some trips around oz I won't be stressing to find fuel to suit, with the dual map switch I'm looking to run a 95 and 98 map.
turner

Postby chickencake on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:45 pm

salt36 wrote:
turner wrote:Is anyone familiar with the xede processor? From what I have found out these are a great ecu and come highly recommended from a few tuner shops so hopefully it does the trick, this whole idea to fit to a triton is in a few ways a trial and error project and I couldn't agree more that I will get tired of 6psi but if I can get it all to work at 6psi I will fell more confident to spend more on it and aim for more boost, I have some flexible exhaust hose also that I was going to use if needed at the turbo to eliminate any flex or damaging vibrations, at work we make all out own hoses so I have already made the oil feed and drain hoses out of stainless braided hose and I haven't finished off the ends yet so I can make it as neat as possible (thank god as it would be bloody expensive to buy that stuff)

I have heard nothing but good about the Xede ECU. They also have very good support from what I have heard....

Your tuner will probably be familiar with the software already, if not then find a tuner who is 8-)

I think to go much more than 6psi you will need to strengthen the engine, crank, rods, pistons head gasket, valve springs etc....

Great project :D

Oh and if you need them I have my original crank, rods, pistons, heads ( with burnt exhaust valves :roll: )
Yours if you want/need....

boost doesnt kill engines, poor turning kills engines, bad fuel kills engines, leaning out kills engines.
not boost.
chickencake

Postby hvac guy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:32 am

Boost can kill engines no matter how well its tuned.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:17 am

hvac guy wrote:Boost can kill engines no matter how well its tuned.

Exactly. Like when one of those bleed valves people buy to cheaply adds up boost lets go and engine gets a gut full of 35psi
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby chickencake on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 am

explain how please.
horse power can, theres a limit too how much power the block can take or how much a standard piston can take sure, but it will be a massive amount, boost doesnt kill anything, its a measurement of restriction, 15psi from a old school plain bearing t3 is a nothing like 15psi from a 700hp garrett ball bearing.

for example ls1's split between the bores around 420rwkw ish
Last edited by chickencake on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
chickencake

Postby chickencake on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:30 am

Bigbirdalx wrote:

Exactly. Like when one of those bleed valves people buy to cheaply adds up boost lets go and engine gets a gut full of 35psi

in which case it leans out, bleed valves have their place
chickencake

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 am

Bigbirdalx wrote:

That's the pain of all tuners. People who think they know better when really they don't. Known of quite a few cases of owners or owners friend putting their 2 cents in after a motor has been safely tuned only to detonate a motor.

Generally as stated poor fuel, tuning are the killers of boosted motors, pushing the limits again will do damage but 99.9999% of tuners aren't going to push something to breaking point.
MilkmanDan

Postby hvac guy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:25 pm

So when u raise the compression in the cylinder by adding more boost u are telling me that the oil clearances on the big end bearing will be the same at 10psi and when at 30psi. Hope u don't build engines for a living. I've seen heads lift blocks crack rods buckle cranks break pistons smash and many other things associated with too much boost. Think of it like this u can blow up a balloon with hot or cold air and it will pop at a certain pressure, now tape up the balloon (adding bracing) and can add more pressure before it goes bang. U have too build a engine to handle more boost as well as tune it correctly.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45 pm

turner wrote:Cheers salt36 I think I will relieve you of those parts down the track I could definitely use them, my tuner uses the xede everyday and from all
Reports is a genius haha so I think I'm in good hands, mackay doesn't have e85 yet which is weird but I wanted to have a tune set so when I'm driving on some trips around oz I won't be stressing to find fuel to suit, with the dual map switch I'm looking to run a 95 and 98 map.

Good to hear that, yes you should be in very good hands.

I am not sure I would bother too much with separate maps for 95/98 octane. I notice my fuel trims differ by about 3% between the two fuels. I tune (safe) with 95 octane and run 98 nearly all the time.
From what I have seen with knock, my engine would probably accept maybe one degree of timing through parts of the map. Not really worth it, for me anyway...
98 octane is now available in nearly all but remote servo's, if you are on a highway you will have access to it. Not sure about the Nullabor and west though. I have been able to buy 95 octane everywhere I have been so far.

91 octane would be worth using a separate map.

LPG would be a great option for a second map, at around 115 octane I could run some crazy advance :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:56 pm

hvac guy wrote:So when u raise the compression in the cylinder by adding more boost u are telling me that the oil clearances on the big end bearing will be the same at 10psi and when at 30psi. Hope u don't build engines for a living. I've seen heads lift blocks crack rods buckle cranks break pistons smash and many other things associated with too much boost. Think of it like this u can blow up a balloon with hot or cold air and it will pop at a certain pressure, now tape up the balloon (adding bracing) and can add more pressure before it goes bang. U have too build a engine to handle more boost as well as tune it correctly.

I agree.

The rods in these V6 engines will not stand much in the way of power gain, from what I have learned 280-300HP would be about the limit.

Sourcing rods from pre 2000 Magna V6's is worthwhile for making power as they are a lot thicker and will probably handle up to 400 HP

The stock compression of 9.5:1 would also need changing to go beyond probably 10 psi, I am guessing here but the US guys source thicker gaskets from the start.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby turner on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:36 pm

bit of a update bracket is now finished and onto the exhaust and plumbing of the oil lines to and from turbo,
Click to view larger picture

now a somewhat major change with the fuel side, have changed the plan from using a 7th injector to changing out the 305cc injectors to 42lb injectors and upping the fuel pump to a walbro 255lph intank fuel pump, this was the tuners request as he advised I would have better control over it. he just finished a 3.5l quad cam rodeo with a supercharger and from the look of the grey hairs he is looking forward to a more straight forward challenge. :lol:
also we have decided to use the intercooler which I was hoping to not have to but its going to be a lot safer.
I want to top mount it and have the hole disguised with a laid back grille but who knows that may end up looking like the H3's... im not jumping for joy about a scoop and don't want it visible at the front plus already have two tranny coolers there...uggh

also the 3/8 steel braided drain hose is not big enough so have to up that to 1/2 hose, lucky I have rolls of that at work phew!!

anyway will post up pics as I go
turner

Postby hvac guy on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

nice watching with gusto
:D
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sootie on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm

given you already have massive pipe runs with a rear mount turbo is there any advantage to having a top mount? Couldn't you just put it wherever you want?
Sootie

Postby turner on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm

yeah your right I can, I mapped out a few options using the intercooler I already have and with it mounted at the front the amount of pipe work is becoming bigger then I hoped for. my plan without the cooler was run pipe up the inside of the wheel well of the drivers side from the turbo and coming straight through the inner guard above the strut then onto the TB, so now using a cooler im going to have it enter the engine bay in the same spot but have a smaller cooler mounted in that void with the air box gone and use the existing snorkel to funnel cooler air through it then have a slight spaghetti looking pipe work house the MAF and BOV. should work ok and hopefully use less pipe. I have my eye on another intercooler that is 150mm wide x 500mm long and that was going to mount up underneath the car (may work with just that long cooler, not sure if enough air flow through it or may need both due to the smaller cooler in engine bay may not be enough)

top mount idea was ruled out this morning as I don't want to cut a hole/square in the bonnet.
front mount is still on the table but last option
exhaust should be done this or next week depending on wife leaving me alone :roll:
turner

Postby turner on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am

bit of an update to let people know this job hasn't hit the back burner,

exhaust removed and turbo bracket fitted ,made up bracket to hold scavenge pump and have mounted that also, hosed up drain from turbo to scavenge pump using -12 braided hose. mounted aux fuel tank(transers into main tank) also where spare tyre was under the car and have plumbed and wire that up also, spare tyre sits in its new home in the tray standing up.

removed main fuel tank and in the process of fitting up walbro pump, anyone who wants to do that I have found out the long way that the pump is a couple of mm off from fitting snugly into its home so have modified the pump housing to fit (that was a real headache sorting that as the pump was not reaching enough pressure and was leaking inside the housing and was doing my head in trying to figure it out with pressure gauges).

will be fitting that up this arv once the wife comes back with some fuel hose.
after that is done I will be fitting a tee into the oil pressure sender and running the oil lines to and from the turbo.

I have a few pics of the steps so far I will post up first chance I get.
turner

Postby mattz on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks for the update. 8-)
As I was reading what you've done, I was thinking I would love to see some pics of this stuff. ;)
And then I got the end of your post and there it was. :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby salt36 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Good stuff mate, I am keen to see some pics as well 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby turner on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:41 pm

exhaust removed and turbo bracket mounted not a great pic but get the idea of whats going on.

turbo and scavenge pump mounted, made the scavenge pump bracket out of 6mm ally plate.

braided oil line from turbo to scavenge pump size is -10

standard fuel pump removed and larger walbro 255lph fuel pump ready to be fitted.

this is the fuel pump mounted inside the fuel sender unit and pump housing, this took about 4 attempts to get right, first attempt the pump sat a couple of mm off the oring seal so it wasn't building pressure, second attempt the housing wasn't allowing enough fuel in for the pump so it slightly cavitated, third attempt I didn't use submersible fuel hose and 4th attempt I modified the housing again so it used a better filter, submersible fuel hose and tidied up the hose and wiring. if this ever stuffs up im going to and external pump as I was moments away from throwing the tank down the road and chucking a hissy fit.

I have made up all the oil lines and have put a "t" piece into the oil pressure sender port, these lines will go on tomorrow and when I take the manifold off to swap out the injectors to 42lb im removing and drilling into the rocker cover and welding in a "boss" to finish of the return oil line.

next is the exhaust, this will be either straight forward or another potential hissy fit. will keep everyone interested updated but so far everything is on track and going well...ish.
turner

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

You sir have won the internet today, good progress!
MilkmanDan

Postby hvac guy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:20 pm

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:52 pm

turner wrote:... as I was moments away from throwing the tank down the road and chucking a hissy fit.

I was already sensing your frustration :lol:

Going great mate ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups