The Story of Cage's New Triton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Finished my homework. Did the deal today.

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 pm

@ Duck... Cheers Mate. The wait will be hell.

@ TheWall.... Yep, can't beat a bit of retail therapy. It's been a long time between new vehicles and I'm hoping that this one will last me a long time. re the paint thing, I can only go on personal experience and it worked for me, and not being an every weekend washer/polisher it should suit me.

And I realise that there will be those that will look at my build and think " What a soft-co@k set-up! Well, I bought it to go far, and reliably, not to rip up the terrain. At my age, after a couple of GT Falcons and 40 years on motorbikes I figure I've pushed the envelope to it's limits.

Cheers
Cage

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 pm

And, and.............who want's to do the Cape next year?
Cage

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:46 pm

OK, did the search, read the threads, Paint Protection is seemingly not worth the bucks.

@ TheWall.... Did you do your seat spacers yourself or did you get them from someone?

As I said above, I read the seat thread and it seems like a good fix. There was some discussion on the viability of aluminum spacers, with some negative input. Now I'm not an engineer, know Jack about engineering stuff, but it seems to me that the seat would not be copping too much stress in the event of a major 'whoopsie' as you are being held by the seat-belts, which are not attached to the seats.
Cage

Postby salt36 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Cage wrote:@ Duck... Cheers Mate. The wait will be hell.

@ TheWall.... Yep, can't beat a bit of retail therapy. It's been a long time between new vehicles and I'm hoping that this one will last me a long time. re the paint thing, I can only go on personal experience and it worked for me, and not being an every weekend washer/polisher it should suit me.

And I realise that there will be those that will look at my build and think " What a soft-co@k set-up! Well, I bought it to go far, and reliably, not to rip up the terrain. At my age, after a couple of GT Falcons and 40 years on motorbikes I figure I've pushed the envelope to it's limits.

Cheers

Or you could subscribe to my paint protection theory and never wash it.

My belief is that the grime forms a protective coat for the paint.

My proof is a Landcruiser tray I owned for ten years, never washed it due to driving in mud or dust for work every day....
When trading it I washed and polished and the paint was like new :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Cage wrote:OK, did the search, read the threads, Paint Protection is seemingly not worth the bucks.

Congrats on the purchase. :D

I know how it feels to do the deal on a new vehicle - only did mine in June. Just didn't have the heart to burst your bubble. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gaspode on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Cage wrote:@ TheWall.... Did you do your seat spacers yourself or did you get them from someone?

Hi Cage,

Search for member Brendo. He is currently doing seat spacers. Well worth the investment. And be kind to your passenger too.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Great feedback guys.

Another incredible product they were pushing was the Electronic Rust Protection. I asked the salesperson if she remembered Peter Brock. And being around my vintage she said she did.

However, and there is always a 'however', she assured me that this was nothing like Peter's 'Negative Ioniser'. even though it worked on the same 'smoke and mirrors' technology.

Yeah, thanks. Pass!
Cage

Postby macca002 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:16 am

If you are getting a 2013 badged vehicle, you dont need seat spacers. The drivers side has a tilt adjust knob. Just give it a few turns and instant comfort!
macca002

Asked MMAL for a link to D/l owners manual. Isn't one. WTF!!

Postby Cage on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 am

Hoping to pick up my new GLX+ on Thursday and thought it might be prudent to do a little homework on the vehicle before I get in it and drive it home.

OK, I'll email MMAL and get the download link for the 'free' owners operation manual.

Guess what. They don't have one. Instead I was directed back to the dealer to BUY one. They have got to be kidding. I can't remember buying any thing, computer hardware, camera gear, home appliances or whatever in the current century, that you couldn't download a copy of the user manual, gratis!

I replied to their email and suggested that the Mitsu hierarchy may be surprised that myself, and several hundred million other people do most of their reading on their computer/kindle or whatever.

Their reply , in part, included the following
"We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with this greatly appreciated feedback. Please be assured that we at Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL) always encourage and appreciate any comments from our customers and public alike.

Please be advised that your suggestion has been forwarded to the Product Planning Department for their consideration."

Well cut me down and call me Shorty. I must be the first person, me, the OAP who builds his own computers, who naively expected that a multinational, multibillion dollar corporation would be at the cutting edge of today's technology, would be the first to ask for an electronic copy of the free owners instruction manual. Wow, I'm gobsmacked.

Maybe I should cancel the order and look for a pre-emission vehicle, you know the ones, if it didn't go you pulled off a plug lead and cranked it, if a spark came out you checked the fuel system.

Ah, the good old days!
Cage

Re: Asked MMAL for a link to D/l owners manual. Isn't one. W

Postby al coholic on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

Nice rant :roll:

You too will own your own user manual on Thursday like the rest of us ;) just chill till then I reckon ;)
You'll be pleased to know the manual has lots of pages to flick through......you know.....like the good old days :P
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Can someone please advise if the Side Mouldings are adhesive

Postby Cage on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

I'd like to fit the side protection moulding kit to my GLX, the ones that come standard on the GLX-R.

Could someone please let me know if they are an adhesive type attachment or do they require holes drilled and clips.

Thanks.
Cage

Re: Can someone please advise if the Side Mouldings are adhe

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 am

As far as I know they are self adhesive. I didn't fit mine but I think it is the usual double sided tape attachment.

Fifth would know as he is in the auto repair industry.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:57 am

I bought and fitted mine
double sided tape with fitting instructions in regard to distances from bottom of door etc.

standard colour used to be silver
door protectors MZ 313632
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby srb on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Do you mean factory flares? If so yes they do fit the GLX. I got them put on pre delivery... But they didn't drill the extra few holes required for the clips on the gaurds. :x I ended up having to do this myself like most things, though it was fairly easy.:roll:

Edit: No adhesive, just screws and those little round clips.;-)
Last edited by srb on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:03 pm

I think he means the rubber strips that run along the doors as 26 referred to above.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Oh got it. :oops:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks guys.

Yep, part # MZ 313632

The stealer wanted $470 to supply, colour match and fit.

$130 from their parts dept, plus $10 for a can of charcoal spray paint. I don't need to colour match.
Cage

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes they are adhesive. Follow the instructions carefully - you only get one chance with that 3M adhesive and make sure that the surface has all traces of polish fully removed.

Cage wrote:plus $10 for a can of charcoal spray paint. I don't need to colour match.

And they will look like shit. You've just spent what $35K? on a new car and you're going to do that? Buy them and take them to a local panel shop who'll be more than happy to colour match for well under $200, cash money. Pay them to fit too, so that they're straight.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby mattz on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Mine has the mouldings from the factory and they have 2 little plastic locator tabs on them that align with 2 small holes in the door.
If the ones you get have these tab they would easily be removed with a blade. I would want to align them with out these tabs and holes.
As NFT5t said......get a pro to paint and fit them.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cage on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm getting a black ute and am not going to put any more black on it, so paint matching is not an issue.

I'll be going for a dark grey/charcoal finish on the strips. My little mate, a spray painter, said seeing as they already have metallic silver paint on them they will only need a light rub to take the shine off and then they're good to paint.
Cage

Re: Asked MMAL for a link to D/l owners manual. Isn't one. W

Postby rogjil on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Pull the lead off, that is going a bit far. A long screwdriver also did the trick.
rogjil

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Cage wrote:My little mate, a spray painter, said seeing as they already have metallic silver paint on them they will only need a light rub to take the shine off and then they're good to paint.

And he's right. Takes exactly the same amount of effort to paint the wrong colour as the right one though (as I've found out :roll: ). Anyway I'll leave it to him to convince you on the colour and finish...

Actually.......thinking about it......the dark grey idea might not be so bad if you pick up with it on some other trims or accessories.

Cage wrote:My little mate, a spray painter,

On a side note, why is it that 95% of spray painters are less than average height? I feel like Gulliver when I'm amongst a group of painters. :?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Re: About to buy a new GLX. Some input on accessories plse

Postby Mudme on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 am

I did t have to drill anything to get my mcc rear bar on
Mudme

Postby Cage on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:37 am
[quote="Cage
I've ordered my new GLX with the Ironman Protector Bull Bar and the factory tow bar (apparently not the best for clearance after reading various threads) and my only concern is that I've probably already lost 10-15mm of clearance. I asked the dealer about lift kits and the reply was "if if doesn't cause any associated problems it's OK". Very reassuring, not! I also got the dealer to fit a Safari snorkel and I went with the dealer fitted accessories because of the warranty and to maybe give me a bit more leverage if I do have any warranty problems.

Anyway should pick up my new toy this week and am counting the sleeps.

The factory towbar kills the departure angle (already compromised) and I ended up changing mine to an ARB rear bar and gained a lot in the way of departure angle.

The factory rear protection bar is hopeless (not to mention ugly) and would be useless off road. You don't see many around and to put it kindly, only the uninformed would buy one...
[/quote]

Well I contacted the dealer today and changed the tow-bar to the ARB Rear Step Bar.

Apart from the compromised departure angle of the OEM set-up you were right Longranger1, those protector bars are extremely f'ugly. I guess I was trying not to waste the rear step.

Moving on, the GLX+ also comes with the leather covered steering wheel and gear knobs and I've read in this forum that these little items seems a bit short on longevity. I've been a great believer in the preservative power of the good ole Dubbin, the new stuff with all the waxes and oils in it. Anybody tried this? The other alternative may be to put a steering wheel cover on from Day 1.
Cage

Postby macca002 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Cage wrote: The factory towbar kills the departure angle (already compromised) and I ended up changing mine to an ARB rear bar and gained a lot in the way of departure angle.

The factory towbar on the GLX-R kills the departure angle. The factory towbar on the GLX is up higher and out of the way, unless they are putting the GLXR rears on the GLX's these days?

I have the mitsu rear towbar on my GLX, and had no troubles with departure angle. I have also added some rear protection to this, which gave a better departure than the ARB.
Click to view larger picture

The service manager at Mitsu put me off buying an ARB bar due to possible warranty issues if I ever had troubles with the chassis - my Triton does A LOT of touring 9 months out of the year.

Good call about not getting the Mitsu rear end protection ;)
macca002

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups