Schems Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Schems Build

Postby schem81 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 am

Hey guys. Today I've decided to finally sit down a get a build thread started.

Got my ML '09 GLXR in Feb 2010. Was initially going to get a MN 2010 GLR but it was only about $4000 difference to the previous years model but in the 4x4 variant with all the extras i wanted. So without knowing what I’d be in for after finding this site, the missus and i bought it. Lucky we did as the same weekend we found out the missus was pregnant with our first, and if we knew that first probably wouldn't have got it. But in the end we are both glad we did!! :D :D :D
Now before anyone pipes up. I know its platoon green and a petrol but i love it and know you do too!! ;) ;) ;)
Got the factory tub liner and tow bar with it.
Just warning I may get carried away with the pics.

The showroom stock-standard Triton....never be that shinny again. :cry:
Click to view larger picture

Leather interior. :o

Soon after a boys weekend away along the Murray River i soon realised that the standard tyres and bash plate just wont do, and so the Mods begin. Apart from that i was wrapped with my new toy. 8-)

Just not going to happen. :evil:

They build em tough!

Bash Plate-Brown Davis.

Muddies. 265/75/16 (32')

Driving lights.

Safari Snorkel.
Put a set of Piranha dif breathers on as well.

Not long after i got the tyres done i went out with a mate 4wdin and ended up dinting one of my side steps-lucky for me no damage was done to the sill of the car. Thought 'that's it!!! Need sliders.' Went and spoke to a bloke and after working it all out and how they would sit got a set made up. Ended up costing $600. So i was pleased with that. Threw a few coats of paint on for looks and some grip tape so i don't end up on my arse. :lol:
Decided that the easiest way to attach the sliders to the car was to weld plates to the chassis then just bolt from the sliders to the plates.

Next on the list was the air compressor. Where to mount it?? Ended up going with the under seat choice. So it was back to the guy who done the sliders for me to get a bracket made up to hold the compressor in place.
Next was taking the seat out and getting it into place. was a bit hesitant about drilling holes into the floor of the car but managed to work up the courage to do so.
Also as seen in the pic I got seat spacers. (ordered from user Did3.2) Initially i wanted them so that the compressor had more air flow under the seat as they can get quite hot. The bonus is the difference they make to the comfort of the seats.

Time for a UHF. Got a Uniden 7760 off ebay with a 6.5 DB antenna. The only reason i went with this model was because all the buttons are on the handset. Which meant i could mount the unit itself under the dash with only the handset protruding.

Moved the two Hella driving lights to the rear bar and added another 2. As i needed to utilise the mounting point on the nudge bar for the antenna.

Mounted them by using "Walraven Bifix Clips" available from any plumbing shop. When wiring the lights in i wired them directly from the battery to a switch so they can be on without the use of the high beam.

Reversing lights.
Just used at set of factory fog lights. (Mattz old ones.)
Cut holes into the factory rear bumper using a hole saw. Then went back to the bloke who done the sliders and compressor bracket to make up some spacers for the fog lights to screw into, as the holes in the bumper didn't match up with the fog lights and i wanted a certain offset for the lights and bumper. To do this i had to cut two holes into the rear of the car so the lights could sit back into them. God knows how hesitant i was about doing it. But in the end it came up ok.
Tapped them into the existing reverse wire so that they power up when put into reverse but also have a switch to turn them on manually if needed.

Switches. Right one-Driving lights. Left one-Reversing lights.

Added more tie down points to the underside of the hard lid and to the middle of the tub. The hard lid ones just screw into the holes provided as the holes are threaded. The ones in the tub arn't the strongest to tie off to as they are attached to the tub liner alone but they are better than nothing. Just don't apply to much pressure when tying off to them as the tub liner side starts to fold in.
Hard lid tie off points

middle tub tie off points

Put in another ciggie point under the dash to plug the GPS into from behind the dash as i got sick of cables everywhere on long trips.

Rhino rack basket mounted directly to the hard lid. Measured it up and went for it. Had to make a trip to the local bolt and nuts shop as the bolts that came with it ended up too short. Payed a visit to 'clark rubber' to get some rubber strips so that i could use it to 'jack' up the rear of the tray to get it level due to the curve of the hard lid. The rubber also will help prevent water from entering the tub where the holes where drilled into the lid.
screws holding nylon washers
utilising the mounts that came with the basket
the rubber 'jacks' at the rear of the basket
the end result

That's about it for now. :( Next mod in the pipeline is a dual battery setup as i have a 60ltr arb fridge/freezer on order. Been quoted $1000 for a Piranha dual battery system fitted.(including a deep cycle battery and dual plugs in the rear tray.) But i need to shop around and compare products. :? :? :?
Got the standard mods in mind as well such as bullbar, winch, drawers, lift etc. etc. but you all know how it goes!
Will update as it progresses.
:P :P :P :P
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Re: Schems Build

Postby Steane on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 am

Nice work mate. I think this is the 4th petrol Triton we've seen on NTN :lol: :lol:

Check out the DC to DC chargers for your dual battery system. Easy to set-up yourself and with a battery and everything you need won't be $1000. DC-DC is the way to go. Something like the C-TEK which also allows the addition of solar panels to the system down the track (providing you buy the right model). Also check out Daryn's write-up on an alternative make/model he just fitted that was cheaper again, and had more features by the sound of it.

Keep the mods coming! :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Schems Build

Postby al coholic on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 am

Oh mate, platoon green and a petrol, you poor bugger!! :lol:

Nice write up and pics, some great mods there already, look forward to the rest ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Schems Build

Postby timbo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 am

Good stuff mate that basket look the goods gotta be happy with that. Keep it coming mate it's addictive but :lol:
timbo

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:57 pm

That's quite a rare beast you have there - 09 GLX-R V6. 8-) 8-)

It has fly-by-wire throttle and a different intake and ignition system to the earlier models. Have a look at Salt36's build thread - he has the same model and it might even be platoon but no-one knows because it's never been seen without the protective mud coating. :P :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Schems Build

Postby smouch1975 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 am

Big balls on the rear light jobby

Love the outcome
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Schems Build

Postby mattz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:42 am

Looking good Jon ;)
You have told us what's next on YOUR list but what's next on HER list. :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby salt36 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Good on you mate :D That's the way, don't be scared, just drill/cut :lol:

And dont take any rubbish from all these rattler owners, they are just jealous they don't have a smooth, quiet, powerful engine like ours...... :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Schems Build

Postby dansan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Good on ya Johny boy the truck is comin along mate.
dansan

Schems Build

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Good to see you got this up mate!! I know you said you were planning on it the other day. Plenty of great mods mate with plenty to go!

I got my compressor done, I'll save details for my thread.
dan.batto

Postby tukadafoonday on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Looks awesome mate.

Love the rack mounted like that... I really want to mount a rack just not sure whether do do it direct like that or sit it on roof racks so I can put the bike racks on their when I'm not using the basket.
tukadafoonday

Postby VALERIO on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 pm

salt36 wrote:Good on you mate :D That's the way, don't be scared, just drill/cut :lol:

And dont take any rubbish from all these rattler owners, they are just jealous they don't have a smooth, quiet, powerful engine like ours...... :D

Totally agree Salt ;)
VALERIO

Return to Member Build Ups