Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Kates Dirty Sister Starts Getting Some Upgrades!!!

After three months away, I have finally been able to come home and start doing some things to my Triton. I was able to purchase a lot of the smaller parts while I was deployed, and I have waited until I got home to be able to organise some of the bigger things such as the Bullbar, Rear Bar and Rocksliders etc. :D

I will hopefully be picking up the TJM T13 Outback Steel Bullbar later this week. I managed to get them down to $1650 supplied, which is at least better than the $1733 which was originally quoted. I will talk about this more when I get it and go to install it. I have to wait until the end of the month or beginning of April for the ARB Rear Step Bar though. The best thing about this though is that I am getting it for $956 as opposed to $1118. My Ultimate suspension, Safari Snorkel and Brakes and Lines are on their way!!! ;)

Click to view larger picture
The "Before" Photo

I have seen some epic build logs on here, and I hope that this will be just as informative. I must admit, I might have "stolen" a few ideas here and there. But I think thats going to happen when we all have Tritons and there are only so many modifications we can do. :oops:

I decided that the first lot of mods that I would get out of the way, would also be essentially the easiest. Just a nice way to ease into everything I suppose. This first lot of mods include my bash plates, EGR blank, UltraGauge and seat spacers.

The first thing to go onto the car were the NewTriton.Net stickers. It seemed like the most natural thing to do straight up!

Rear Window Sticker

Front Window Sticker

Funnily enough, stickers are a fairly straight up fitment! The only thing that made it “awkward” would have to be doing it all myself and getting it all square and centered.
Last edited by godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Re: Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 pm

The next thing on the agenda was the removal of the old “tinny” bash plates ready for the installation of the new Prestige Offroad 3mm Bash Plates. As seen below (and around the site) there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the factory plates and aftermarket kits. It is easy to see why this should be one of the first things done to protect the underside of your car from damage.

Damn these factory "bash" plates

Side by Side

The new bash plates where prepped, primed and sprayed. While all this was drying, I decided to tackle the EGR blank, kindly made by GLXR Alex. As is standard with this particular mod, the front bolt came out a dream. The rear bolt however, was as it usually is, a PITA to get out. Thankfully there was no blood or anything involved as I had been sufficiently forewarned by others. Once I got it out, I could see why it was so hard. It looked like it had a damaged thread right down the bottom end of it. A quick clean-up was in order, but seeing as though I am not looking at taking it out, it didn’t bother me that much.

"THAT Bolt"
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Now that the EGR blank was in, I could get back to installing the bash plates that are now very orange. I am sorry kwyjibo, as soon as I saw that people were painting their bash plates I wanted orange ones. And then I came across your car. I suppose it doesn’t really matter, there needs to be more orange on here anyway. Wouldn’t it be nice if my coming suspension was in orange? Anyway I digress. I started fitting the bash plates, which on your own, certainly is interesting, but nothing that is really hard or strenuous. I did find that I had to take off a plastic guard/standoff, off the bottom of the radiator though so that the front plate would fit on. Once I had everything roughly lined up and I started installing the screws, I found that one of the holes wouldn’t line up. So off the plate came so that I could start filing away some metal to get the fit I need. I knew that things wouldn’t be THAT easy.

So the bash plates where finished up, and next on the list were the seat spacers. This WAS painless, and boy what a difference it makes. I also have a fantastically calibrated torque elbow that clicks when at the right torque (not really, everything is always just done up really tight, right?)

Finally, was the installation of the UltraGauge. Set up the arm, plug it in, and route the cable. And get another $10 back off the supplier…what more could you want? Because I have this thing with cables running all over the place, I have routed OBDII cable down the inside corner of the door, and then underneath the dash just above my feet. All the spare cable has just been stuffed up the vent for the foot warmers…

I haven’t gotten around to fiddling with the gauge set ups just yet as I thought it would be wise to spend time with my girlfriend on her birthday, so this is my plan for the next couple of days.
Last edited by godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 pm

After all that, it was a quick change of my wipers (they were a bit old and crappy), a quick drive to see how everything felt after the EGR blank :o and to have a look at my gauge, then it was sitting back with a Rekordling while I admired the nice Venus Orange bash plates and NewTriton.Net stickers.

I love these :D

So not a lot has really changed yet from the original photo, but it is definitely all starting to happen. Once the suspension, snorkel, front bar and brakes come in I will probably be trying to organise a get together of any South Aussies that are keen to come round and lend a hand. I know everything will not be done in one day, and I might leave some things for when I drop her off at the mechanic for a much needed service (I am thinking the brakes, as the fluids need to be changed anyway). That leaves the suspension, snorkel, diff breathers, UHF, head unit and bar work. Anyone want to come see someone drill and cut into their car? Hahaha, but seriously…beers and everything! I thought I might try and give the suspension a go myself, purely so that if I am out bush and something breaks, I at least have a bit more of an idea of how to fix it or pull it out and stuff.

So until then, this is all I have…
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby trouble on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Well done GR getting there!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby 4WD Supplies on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Looking good mate, Beer you say, hmmm might be able to come watch you do stuff to your car. :P
We will talk on Sunday. ;)
4WD Supplies

Postby davebo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm

looks good bud! nice work :D
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Ah...the bug has bitten. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking good!
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Good start mate. Reminds me I've been meaning to do a build up thread. Much better to start at the start as you have though. If I try and start one now I may never get it finished. :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Looking great GR. Those orange bash plates look 8-)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby motoz on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 pm

I too can help with both the drinking of your beer and installs.

:lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Wish I was in SA, be round like a shot !

Big transformation coming up mate, you will love it..... :D
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Looking great buddy

Cant wait to see the other expensive bits fitted soon ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Sky Miner on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Ya trucks commin along nicely GR ;) Thoes plates are the rage eh!! 8-)
Nothing like putting ya ride together the way "YOU" want it ;) good stuff.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby dan.batto on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Good stuff mate! Great to see another good build thread coming along quickly ;) just the way I like it! :lol:
Good idea with fitting the sussi yourself! I had no idea when something went wrong with mine!!!! Luckily I had some fellow NTN members around ;)
dan.batto

Postby mattz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:47 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Good start mate. Reminds me I've been meaning to do a build up thread. Much better to start at the start as you have though. If I try and start one now I may never get it finished. :oops: :oops:

I'm in much the same boat......I had no intentions of doing any mods. :lol: :lol:
Nice write Godzilla. ;) keep the info coming
You'll also get a lot of satisfaction sitting back with a reckordalig admiring your handy work. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby godzilla_rising on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 pm

So today I decided to get stuck in and install my Diff and Gearbox Breathers. I ended up getting the BRC 4 Line Breather kit off eBay.

But before you know it, my work was interrupted by a phone call from TJM, letting me know that my bullbar had just turned up. So in the car I get to go and pick it up. :D

So I get home with my new bullbar, get it off the back on my own (which is a fairly decent effort when it weighs 80kg...lucky I am big and strong). I am just about to get back into it, and a truck rolls on up. What is dropped off? Over 100kg of Suspension, Snorkel, Brakes and Lines. ;) :D

So after getting all that I am FINALLY able to get stuck into the Diff breathers, starting at the rear.

Then the front...

And then the gearbox and boot bit.

And then I saw this little negative pressure valve thing, and as I only had the 4 lines and had chosen to do the boot and the smaller of the lines from the gearbox. I am going to go out and get some more line and a single filter to run this other line up near the rest.

Finally, got up to the engine bay to mount the block. I was originally going to mount it right up in the corner where some others have mounted theirs, but the screw wouldnt screw into the hole. So I had to re-mount it on the bracket that is around the Fuel Filter/Primer thing?

Im hoping that once I get the ProVent I will mount it on the firewall where there are 3 spare threaded holes. Not sure yet. As for worrying about a compressor or second battery? Ill get to that when it comes. Battery might end up in the tray, again, I dont know yet. I might end up having to move some stuff around.

So until the next time I get motivated...and beer ;)
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby Sky Miner on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Mate must be like Xmas round your place rite now :lol: all thoes goodies showing up like that in one hit. ;)
Busy Busy Busy!! 8-)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby smouch1975 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Nice
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby ultimate on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Great work so far mate! I can't wait to see this all come together 8-)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Snooozy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

I did this one when I fitted my breather
If I was doing it again I would not bother.

It has a spring loaded valve which I dont think would let water in -unless stranded in a river (then a little water in the g/box would be the least of your problems)

Once you start to pull that cap off you will not have a choice. if you damage the cap/seal you will need to fit breather
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm

So I am going to throw the bone out there for people who might want to be keen on coming around for a mods day (or two with the amount of stuff that I have). People are more than welcome to utilise this time to be able to do stuff to their own car (gregned?? ;) ) or just lend a hand and experience. No doubt I will see a lot of the SA crew on Sunday and will be able to talk then, but have a think about it and hopefully we can all work something out!

If people do want to work on their cars, I dont have a heap of space, but I can see at least 2 or 3 cars being able to be worked on (mine as one of them)...you just might need to bring a tarp or gazebo or something if you are on my nature strip ;) :twisted:

I am also waiting on the NTN Hole Saw to arrive...so if anyone needs a snorkel done...that may be the time to do it? Talk to you all on Sunday though!!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby motoz on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:58 pm

The snorkel is pretty straight forward though it still took me 4hrs.

A couple things to watch are making sure your template matches the stud pattern on the snorkel, when you do the cut through the inner guard be careful as the bonnet cable lives inside so you don't want to cut through it.

It's also a lot easier to remove the guard bolt the snorkel on then reinstall. Saves a lot of skin and $$$ in the swear jar !!!

As far as mods go I haven't got many more to do though would be keen to have a beer and shout words of positive encouragement.

:lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Im sure that will suffice Motoz...
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby Greedy on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Looking good so far. When do you expect the hole saws to turn up. Might be able to do 2 at once 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Member Build Ups