Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Postby motoz on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Looking good mate.

If you think your bars are noisy now just wait till you fit a roof tray !!!

Mine whistles like a kettle at full boil.

:shock:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 pm

My bars get quieter with my basket on it. And Amanda has the same basket + they put a bit of metal on the front of the basket to make it quieter again... Stops the whistling.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shippaz on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Nice rig mate keep those reports coming! loving reading them
shippaz

Postby stackator on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Sliders look the business!
stackator

Postby godzilla_rising on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 am

stackator wrote:Sliders look the business!

Cheers mate, a couple of guys in the forum have them. Heaps better than the originals :lol:
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Previously on Kate's Dirty Sister...

Well a few things have been happening over the last week or so. And there will be a few more things happening over the next week.

First up, I recently rotated my tyres after the 2000km drive up from Adelaide to Brisbane. I've had these tyres for about 2 years now.

Once everything is torqued up, I take it for a quick drive and there is a MASSIVE vibration coming through the steering wheel and the car. I'm thinking the bloody wheel is going to come off.

So in for a balance and wheel alignment, and there is a bit of a flat spot on what is the front left. As the tyres that are on the rear where on the front and there was minimal vibration, I'm taking it back to get them rotated and balanced again (thankfully free of charge).

A while a go I had a small issue of an unused wire earthing out and melting a small hole in one of my diff breathers. So a quick jump onto eBay found the original store and, thankfully, a repair kit. Now I'm just waiting for it to rock up.

Also thanks to the move to Queensland, a registration change is necessary, as is the need for a safety certificate. This had the unfortunate outcome of brining forward some work that I have known about for a while, but had planned on doing a little bit later than now.

I've had the dreaded 'airbag' light on for a few years but have put it off and off until now. So it's booked in at Mitsubishi tomorrow to get that done.

Also needed was my two front brake discs and pads, as the pads had bugger all meat left on them and the discs are massively warped. I can't wait to get these sorted again. I ended up sticking with the same discs and pads (DBA T3 rotors and Bendix 4WD pads) that I had last time as I was very happy with them. Ordered off eBay, pads have already been delivered and discs should rock up next week. Then it will just be a case of popping them on and then getting the safety certificate signed off.

As I also have a 5 day weekend, I thought it time to take the battery out and give it a good rejuvenation charge. While I was at it I thought it to be an even better time to tidy up some of the wiring around that area.

Click to view larger picture

As I had also been suffering from a bit of spiller battery acid and the associated white fluff on some of the metal components, I tidied them up, sanded and resprayed to hopefully protect things a bit better.

In the end I think that it's all coming along quite nicely.

That is until I take it for a quick drive to go grab some milk. Starts fine the first time, doesn't start when I want to come home. So I get a quick jump from a mate and take it for a nice long drive. Of course I can't hook up the charger as I've started a charge on one of my boat batteries, so I'm hoping the long drive was enough until tomorrow.

So now I might also be up for another battery.

God I can't wait until this thing is running as smoothly as I would like.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby Kuff on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:40 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:God I can't wait until this thing is running as smoothly as I would like.

Two things in life will always give you shit - wheels and skirts. Oddly enough it's also the two things you never lend to your mates :D
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:34 pm

So seeing as though I did all the hard work of fitting the brakes myself, and even though they are the same discs and pads as the old ones, here is some of the stuff I did today.

Checking the runout...

Checking the runout again with disc fitted...

And the "Old vs New" brake pad comparison...

Fun job and easy enough in the end. I'm sure there are a few things here and there for next time that I will pick up...but all went fairly smoothly and could probably drop the time down to a couple of hours. Most of that time was cleaning though and then just learning.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Oh, and what do you do when you want to go wheeling and you have a hole in a diff breather*? (*and the replacements haven't shown up)

You improvise...

Job Done!!!

Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby triton_guru on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:27 am

Lookinv good mate ive got the same discs and pads and they work fantastic. Pretty sure you dont need to bed them in either.

I still need to do my diff breathers
triton_guru

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Yeah, my old ones where the same, just needed replacing. Everything went well today with the drive so that's good!!!

One thing I forgot to mention with my car. I had to replace the clutch and so one of the Exeddy HD clutches went in!!! So now there shouldn't be any troubles whatsoever towing or wheeling!!!

Oh, and so I get home tonight after the day out in the Glasshouse Mountains and low and behold my bloody new diff breather line has rocked up!!! Thanks Australia Post!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby Clarkalot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Your truck looks brilliant mate. Keep it up :D
Clarkalot

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 am

Quick question for anyone who knows, but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of these types of globes?

They are the tiny globes from behind my hands free call buttons (factory).

I've found lights which twist into your dash cluster but these are tiny.

Thanks in advance!!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby coughy on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:48 am

pull them out of the holder they look like wedge type from here with out seeing the back of them

looks like t-5 mini wedge can u measure the bulb across 5mm x 18mm long??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:17 am

I'll try and get a better shot because I thought they were to, instead they look like little single old school led's and their two prongs are soldered to a contact bit. When they are screwed into the switch it makes contact with a printed circuit board.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:28 pm

So here are some photos of what I have been up to tonight - the installation of my Provent 200 Catch Can and associated hoses!!

I had started this a few weeks ago, and just had the catch can sitting in the engine bay waiting for me to fit the rest.

I didn't take that many photos of the hose installation, but what I did do was tear apart the filter assembly to let it breathe a bit better down the track.

Of course, this then means that I don't have any real filtering ability!! Enter the steel wool and fly screen!!

I also pulled out the gal bracket I had made up and gave it a quick squirt of black paint to make it look standard!!!

Followed by the final installation and the plastic engine cover plate which I don't think has been on the car for 2-3 years at least lol.

Less stuff taking up space in my garage!!!

So, that was my little night time job. Off to the 4WD Super Centre tomorrow for a bit of a look. Hopefully I won't spend too much...

Now to also rethink the list of mods/things to do.

Ciao for now!!!
Last edited by godzilla_rising on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Oh and coughy, those photos of those bulbs are coming. Hopefully tomorrow!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby coughy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:40 pm

did you test the breathing ability of the flyscreen and steel wool??
is there enough air coming out?? when car is running at a hot temp?
i modified my catch can on week end as well lol now just air and no oil :mrgreen:
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Well I blew through it pretty easily, so it's certainly not restricting anything. I had seen it done years ago (the last time I was really active on the forum) and so had all the stuff ready to go, I just hadn't installed it.

I've seen/heard that the standard filters are good for a while but once they get filled with oil they are quite restrictive, hence the change.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Well today (and last night) I finished off my bracket/tray for a fuse box. Everything in the top right corner now is looking tidy as!! Sometime soon I will be tidying up the electrics (again) to accommodate the bus bar. I should have some lovely new looms done up when we do it (thanks to a friend who does wiring stuff as his job).

I also just bought 2 6" LED lightbars from 4WD Super Centre for $29 each. These two I will be putting on the rear as reversing lights, and my plan will be to get another 4.

Those 4 will then go up on, ideally, a Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack. The front two will be switched on with the lightbar at the front, and then I'm hoping (through some circuit wizardry) to then be also able to switch all four on with a separate switch.

I've also ordered two laser etched LED carling switches as well for the above and below mods (Reverse Lights and Fridge Power). If you ever need some good quality switches (albeit a tad expensive) check out customrockers.com.au

My other next little project is to modify the little accessory socket to be switched and run directly off the battery. I've had quite a few times where I've been camping, and in order to leave the fridge on I have had to leave my keys in the ignition. Obviously this is not ideal, so I plan to be doing something about that.

Unless of course there are others out there with some other ideas?

Cheers,

Godzilla Rising
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Story Time Saturday

So being a Saturday night, where I am stuck at work on late shift and finishing at 2 o'clock I thought I would recount the story of my move from Adelaide to Brisbane.

It seems with most things with me, Murphy is always nearby with his bloody "law". And so it was leading up to the move.

I had kind of known it for a while, but my clutch had begun to slip. It was intermittent, but it was there, and as I was just about to tow a 2 tonne boat and trailer 2000kms it was something that needed to be done. What it did mean was that I was able to upgrade to the Exeddy HD Sports Tuff clutch kit!!! Problem no 1, averted.

So the day comes where we are ready to leave, and in Adelaide it's a 45 deg day. Watching the old Ultraguage I see my intake temps up around 100deg and engine temps often sitting around 112deg. I don't know how much this is accurate due to having the egr resistor mod in but either way the cars temp needle was maybe 1 line from red. Performance was down, even towing the boat and I was worried. We had only just left and things were not looking good. The rest of the day saw us hitting 47deg as we drove through Renmark and not much more relief elsewhere.

Over the next day the temps dropped as we drove from Mildura to Dubbo, so performance was intermittent at best. Anyway just outside of Parkes I get a radio call saying that I have a tie down strap loose. So I look in the mirror and pull over...low and behold the tie down for the boat has snapped. I knew it was old so all good. Drove a few more kms up the road to a truck stop where I could tie it down with some rope from the boat and get through into Dubbo. If only I knew.

Get into Dubbo on a Saturday night, was staying a day so we could do the zoo and the idea was to get a strap Monday morning. Monday comes, get a strap after waiting for the shop to open and back to the trailer to hook up and go. And that's when I see it...

An inch of gal steel was all that was stopping my boat from falling off the back or from flying into the back of the car. Great, what to do now. Managed to get booked into a metal fabrication joint for some welding.

Slight delay but we got moving in the end. It also explains why the boat was moving around so much on the trailer. Once that tie down let go it only took a few kilometres to do the damage.

Anyway, hoping that would be the end of it, we journeyed on. Until we were almost on the home stretch. Just outside of Warwick, going up a hill, I changed down into third and put my foot down. Next minute there is this massive hissing noise and no real go. Pull over knowing exactly what was wrong this time I pop the bonnet to find my turbo to intercooler line popped off the rigid ducting. I feared the worst in that I had lost the clamp, but a quick search found it still on that ducting. Out with the tools and a quick tighten up and all is good.

Magically, all of a sudden, the car had no performance issues, engine temps were good, everything was good. Why was this? My thinking is that the turbo to intercooler hose was loose at the intercooler end and leaking hot air into the engine bay. Also, air wasn't being cooled as efficiently and so that was causing all the issues.

But we got here in the end. The love affair with my car continues to be a rocky one, and she certainly can be a temperamental bitch at times...but things may finally all be falling into place (I say that now...but...).

That's enough of me banging on for the moment.

The end.
Last edited by godzilla_rising on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby mattz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:56 am

You were lucky the boat didn't fall off.
Probably why the tie down broke too.......or do you think that it was the other way around?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 am

mattz wrote:You were lucky the boat didn't fall off.
Probably why the tie down broke too.......or do you think that it was the other way around?

Nah I think it was the other way around. That tie down is the only thing that really holds the boat to the trailer, and even then there was still a small amount that over time could wear away in one spot leading to the strap breaking...

Once that had happened, the boat could then move around (quite a bloody lot it seems) and its this that caused it.

I didn't realise at the time that in those couple of kms to the truck stop was when the damage had already been done as the boat had shifted on the trailer. I remember climbing up on the boat and thinking "this insisting back further than normal, might just check the winch". Winch was all good and tight against the boat so once I threw some rope on it, I then drove the final 60kms to Dubbo.

When I realised what had actually transpired there was a bit of an "oh " moment.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:35 am

That metal fabricator knows his stuff, better that the trailer manufacturer
That's now solid as
Lucky moment, and those temps are real, the resistor mod don't touch water temps
Those look high if sustained over a period of time and not just hills
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby godzilla_rising on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:47 am

4wd26 wrote:That metal fabricator knows his stuff, better that the trailer manufacturer
That's now solid as
Lucky moment, and those temps are real, the resistor mod don't touch water temps
Those look high if sustained over a period of time and not just hills

The engine temp I knew was water...it was the intake temp that I was looking at which worried me most. I thought (well it appeared like) my intake temps went up a bit when I spliced the wires in for it to trick the egr in to staying closed. Or maybe I have just forgotten how it all worked.

Like I said though, once the ambient temps went down and I fixed that leak there were no issues. So I don't really know what was going there.

Either way I'm getting a new intercooler and ducting anyway!!!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups