Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 am

Looks good.... Wait, there was free beer!!

Completely missed this thread last week or else I would have tried to call round on Sunday to, eh, watch, I mean help... :)

Dunno if I could bring myself to cut the truck. Better you tho then someone in a shop who doesn't care I guess.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

big_bob_thefirst wrote:Looks good.... Wait, there was free beer!!

Dunno if I could bring myself to cut the truck. Better you tho then someone in a shop who doesn't care I guess.

Don't worry mate I'll cut your truck for ya !!!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Godzilla Rising's Build Up

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Ill help too...just look how straight I can cut ;) Ive done it once now, I can do em all!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Haha, the shop is starting to sound a bit more attractive actually...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:I was amazed at (in the end) just how easy it was to cut the car. Doing the snorkel install certainly made it easier when it came to cutting the bumper. Centre punching the holes for the snorkel, well, once those dents were in that was it. It just had to be done!!! :twisted:

Looks like you've done all the hard work and now it's time to get out and test the additions :D

I like you was a little concerned with the drilling but once you've started there's no turning back, that's why I started with the big hole first :P

I'm guessing you received the hole saw kit as well ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Its only steel boys. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Get into it :twisted:

Truck is lookin good. Change of style for the better :mrgreen:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes I did get the holesaws, thank you very much har05l. As for testing the additions? Well the first little trip is to the Flinders Ranges over Easter, and then the big one...

VIC HIGH COUNTRY Queens Birthday Long Weekend June 2012!!!! :D

I think now all I have left is my rear bar and rock sliders. The rear bar is on order, I am just waiting for it to come in. The rock sliders I will see how it will fit in with everything else...then that should be it...for now!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby boatpc on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi GR, your triton is looking good.
I've also got the same bar sitting in the box ready for the install.
Just interested in how your suspension is now sitting :?:
boatpc

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Suspension is great now. When I contacted Brendan at Ultimate, I told him what I was going to be doing to the car, and so the suspension was set up for that!

The front right didnt drop at all (if you look back at the Suspension install, it was only a 45mm rise) and the front left settled in at the 50mm higher than standard mark. So the 2 inch lift has worked well ;)

It also rides a bit better now that the bar is on! I think because of the stiffness of the front springs, it was a slightly "bouncier?" ride. Now that it has that extra 100kgs over the front wheels it just seems better when riding the bumps. But overall I am VERY happy!!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby boatpc on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Good to hear GR ;)
I'm still sitting on stock sus at 545mm so my bar and winch install will push me straight to the next known mod :lol:
Gota luv NTN
boatpc

Postby mattz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:10 am

Congratulations GR! It came up trumps.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Josh_Triton on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 am

godzilla_rising wrote:Suspension is great now. When I contacted Brendan at Ultimate, I told him what I was going to be doing to the car, and so the suspension was set up for that!

The front right didnt drop at all (if you look back at the Suspension install, it was only a 45mm rise) and the front left settled in at the 50mm higher than standard mark. So the 2 inch lift has worked well ;)

It also rides a bit better now that the bar is on! I think because of the stiffness of the front springs, it was a slightly "bouncier?" ride. Now that it has that extra 100kgs over the front wheels it just seems better when riding the bumps. But overall I am VERY happy!!!

isnt ultimate in NSW? did you make the trip over or are there other places we can go? I have been pondering the suspension for some time but just cannot be frigged going all that way.
Petrol power.
Josh_Triton

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am

Josh, ultimate can send the stuff out to you and / or they have a few preferred/recommended shops in different locations. If u get in touch with Brendan he can tell you where they can be fitted...
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am

Can you post a better pic of how it ties in with the flares... seems to be missing a little or is it all good?? I missed out on getting the newer look bar when i got mine - wish i had held off for this one, fog lights look good mate!
ML-VR08

Postby godzilla_rising on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Josh_Triton wrote:Isn't ultimate in NSW? did you make the trip over or are there other places we can go? I have been pondering the suspension for some time but just cannot be frigged going all that way.

Josh, like Big Bob said, I contacted Brendan through this forum and told him what I wanted to do. He then sent out the suspension to me. I fitted it myself, but if you are not in Sydney they have various people who can do it for you.

ML-VR08, I shall get right onto that pic for you...once I get my car back. Kate's Dirty Sister is having a sleepover at Alltrac 4WD tonight while she gets quite a large service done, plus a few other things here and there. ;)
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Just a bit of an update with Kate's Dirty Sister. Had her in overnight at Alltrac 4WD for some work. Just a major service, but they also fitted my new brakes, extended braided brake lines, tailshaft spacer (I couldnt get the bolts undone :oops: ) and Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. They even gave me a phone call to ask if I wanted a hole drilled in my bash plates and a hose fitted to make things a bit easier. ;) Gotta love that...anyway, here are a couple of pics showing the new brakes from DBA and lines (via Ultimate) ;)

Sorry about the fuzziness... :oops:
Click to view larger picture

Everything from the service came back great, especially as we are just about to head away to the Flinders to test out all the new mods. However, the only thing that came back that was a bit of a concern was the following that came out of the diff oil.

The guys have recommended another diff oil change in 500-1000km. So I think after the trip maybe? I dont know.

Anyway, for ML-VR08, here are some pics of the clearance and gaps to do with the TJM T13 Outback Bar.

The cut of the front bumper is VERY well hidden by the bar, and well below the level of it. To set it up equally when we put the bar on, I just used my finger (you know, finger width ;) ) and alls good. There is a fairly decent gap between the flare as well. If there is anything else I can get for you...just ask!!

Oh, also got some recovery gear today as well, but thats well...meh :lol: until I need it that is! :lol:
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 am

Looks good mate, cut very well... The gap seems the same across all modles with ARB and TJM. Just not sure about how the wires are run for the control box... is there any other way to run them?
ML-VR08

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:01 pm

ML-VR08 wrote:Looks good mate, cut very well... The gap seems the same across all modles with ARB and TJM. Just not sure about how the wires are run for the control box... is there any other way to run them?

You probably could. I was even tempted to mount it in behind the bar down where they winch is, but the cables were just a little short and I couldnt be bothered making them that bit longer. Maybe later I might do that, as its not that hard to move the bar out of the way (undo 6 bolts, loosen 2 and you can lower it down). Its neater than some of the other bars. A mate of mine has a Navara, and a different TJM bar, and his cables have to go through his front grill. He said that at least mine looks a bit neater and you can tidy it up a bit better.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm

So there has been a little bit of time since I last did something...not that what I did today was massive.

I had ordered a Unifilter from Fourplay 4x4 down here in Adelaide, completely missing the fact that Ultimate had a deal running :evil:

Anyway, I get the call saying that it has arrived. So off I pop down to the store to pick it up, and the guy slaps a K&N filter in front of me saying that the Unifilter was going to be an extra $30 or something and then some extra freight. They also charged a bit more than what I was quoted, so I told them that, and in the end I got the K&N one for $75.

Of course, if I had of seen that Ultimate deal, I probably would have organised something there...ANYWAY,

I threw it in, everyone knows how easy an air filter is, and well what can I say? It certainly makes a difference, and a bit of noise :D

Now to get some other mods organised, and some more pics, before the Vic High Country!!!
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby dan.batto on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Great build mate! Look forward to seeing it in the high country in June!!!
dan.batto

Postby godzilla_rising on Fri May 18, 2012 10:01 am

Kate's Dirty Sister gets a New Rear End!!!

So it has been a bit of time since I last did something to Kate's Dirty Sister, and so I thought it would be a good chance to get some things done, documented and added to my build log...

The first thing that I did was installed a new battery. I decided to go with the Century Overlander 4WD that a lot of guys on here have. I also managed to get it quite cheap thanks to a mate of mine from work... :D

So out with old and in with the new it was...

Unlike Steane, I even managed to clean out the battery box before reinstalling it...

The same afternoon that I installed the Battery, I also threw on my UniFilter Ram Head Pre-cleaner that I ordered from the guys at Ultimate Suspension. I look at this photo, and compared to now...I cant get over how red it is... :o

Finally, mr ARB Rear Step Towbar came in to the store, so I went in to pick it up. My original quote from ARB was $1168 supplied, but I was quoted from the actual shop $956 supplied. When I picked it up, they said it was $811, so I paid them, thanked them, and got out of there quickly...just in case it was a mistake.

So anyway, I get it home, rip it out of its box and start removing the old towbar...

It was at this stage, with Kate's Dirty Sisters rear end looking far from spectacular, that I noticed the "quality" of the supplied checkerplate. As some people have said, it looks like it has had battery acid spilt all over it... :x

So I was umming and aaaahing as to what to do, and I didnt want to have to wait for ARB to send out a replacement, so it was off to the powder coaters to get it in black. I had been thinking about this for a while, and as I am getting the checkerplate on my rocksliders done in black as well, it would all tie in very nicely. Dark Grey car and black barwork and snorkel..... mega 8-) 8-) 8-) Might even have to do my badges and stuff now...either way, the checkerplate came out looking tops...

Overall it was a fairly easy install. The instructions say to drill a part of your chassis with the bar in place. I say screw that, mark where you need to, remove, drill and then reinstall the bar. Also, follow the instructions and get someone to help you. I managed to do it on my own (dont ask, you probably DONT want to know), but it was a pain in the proverbial.

Now I just have to go get some new split washers, as two of them decided to unwind and pop out from underneath the bolthead... :x Nothing ever goes smoothly...but here is the final result!!

So while I am out getting those washers, I will also be picking up my new Wasp 4x4/Hazzard Engineering Rock Sliders!!!

And then thats it for a while...maybe...
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby motoz on Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 am

Looks good mate. It will be interesting how long the PC lasts on the tread plate as it tends to lose its finish quite easily.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gls_triton on Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 am

Looking really good mate, I must say I like the black checker plate... :)
Cheer's!
Kieran

2008 ML GLS "Panther"
ARB Sahara Bar | Safari Snorkel | Warn Winch | Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure | IPF 900XS Lights
gls_triton

Postby fez on Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Very nice mate im really liking that rear bar
QLD & NT Technical manager for Suzuki Marine
fez

Postby Snooozy on Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Kate's sisters rear is looking 8-) ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext