Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby dan.batto on Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Damn that engine bay is clean!! Looks good mate!!!

What kind of wire do you run? I'm looking at getting a roll seeing as I use so much, and with some of my future plans as well I could use it!
dan.batto

Re: Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Postby Snooozy on Sat May 05, 2012 9:30 pm

I ordered a 5m roll of LED strip light last week, thinking I will have to save some for this mod too
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 pm

dan.batto wrote:Damn that engine bay is clean!! Looks good mate!!!

What kind of wire do you run? I'm looking at getting a roll seeing as I use so much, and with some of my future plans as well I could use it!

I got the wire from Jaycar. It's a super flexible 18AWG Twin core with a 6mm outer sheath. Part # WB1754

Its probably overkill for the minimal draw from the LED though its really easy to work with.

:)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 am

Mate, looking awesome. Will have to get some of that wire and a switch!

U could just try to fix the car during the day...
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Sun May 06, 2012 6:30 am

Just finished reading the whole thread motoz. Great write up and pics. You've done an awesome job.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby jab461 on Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 am

Top looking rig there Motoz! You've done a great job!.. Mate just a couple of questions
* I noticed you run a Unifilter, any dramas with oiling up the "Maf" sensor? & did you notice any diference in swapping it over?

* You've put the "Blanking Plate" in, has it thrown up any fault codes? Did you notice any diference when you installed it? I'm gathering you havn't installed a chip?

I've also got a MN auto, engine wise it's stock ( apart from cutting the cat and muffler out ) I'm going up to Cape York next month and I'm. It sure if I should start doing some engine mods now or just leave it standard for the trip?..... Any tips?
jab461

Postby motoz on Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am

Joe wrote:Just finished reading the whole thread motoz. Great write up and pics. You've done an awesome job.

Thanks Jo. It started off as just wanting to tweek a few things now its become bit of an obsession... :lol:

jab461 wrote:Top looking rig there Motoz! You've done a great job!.. Mate just a couple of questions
* I noticed you run a Unifilter, any dramas with oiling up the "Maf" sensor? & did you notice any diference in swapping it over?

Thanks mate. The Uni Filter has only been in for a few weeks to be honest. I was sold on them after doing the Flinders to West Coast trip. I have seen the thread about the oil covering the hot wire in the MAF sensor. I have been cleaning this myself every 5000kms anyway. A can of MAF cleaner about $20 undo the two phillips head screws and lift it out. Three or four quick squirts does the job. The issues seem to be from over oiling the filter element. I've been doing dirtbike filters for years and have found that less is more with the filter oil.

jab461 wrote:
* You've put the "Blanking Plate" in, has it thrown up any fault codes? Did you notice any diference when you installed it? I'm gathering you havn't installed a chip?

The plate went in the same night I fitted the Provent. I dont have a scan tool though its never thrown an engine light or gone into a limp mode. The plate went straight in with no other mods done. It seems to come on boost a bit quicker than it did before. I haven't noticed any other negatives to be honest. I havent got a chip though this current group buy that is happening has got me thinking. I'm still a little apprehensive though as there's a bit of chatter about limp modes on start up etc.
It aint broke at the moment so why try and fix it ? I'd hate to have it running good and fault free the moment though develop issues once I installed a chip. The extra oomph would be nice though. Also the fact that they detune the auto by 50nm from the factory over the manual has me wondering. Hmmmmm decisions, decisions...

jab461 wrote:I've also got a MN auto, engine wise it's stock ( apart from cutting the cat and muffler out ) I'm going up to Cape York next month and I'm. It sure if I should start doing some engine mods now or just leave it standard for the trip?..... Any tips?

The cape would be a great trip. I would be changing over to a foam filter for sure. If you get the full kit it comes with a spare element. Your not going to notice performance gains from fitting the blank so if were me I'd leave it till you got back. A lot of cost and planning goes into a big trip and it would be a shame if it was spoiled due to issues that pop up post mods.

:)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jab461 on Sun May 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks mate! That`s what i was thinking to, re,blanking plate. And as for the Uni filter, looks like i`m back cleaning and oiling dirty air filters againg!.....i only just got out of dirt bikes after many years and i`ve just sold my KTM 525!.....i spent more time bouncing off gum trees then on the track!....so its back to the rubber gloves and kero :lol:

Thanks again for the tips.
jab461

Postby Mattstruck on Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Motoz you definately need the chip. You'll love it mate. Best mod you will do! ;)

Ive had a few limpies from start up but im working through it because there is no way im going back to stock now! Stock sucks!! 8-)

Dan you only need a bit of 1mm figure 8 wire mate. The 3mm that Motoz has used is serious over kill :lol:

I know where your coming from with the LED strip lights. Its addictive stuff! Ive installed it everywhere though my camper, awning, canopy and everywhere else. Like the idea under the bonnet too ;)
Just ordered another 40m.... just cos :lol: :lol: ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby motoz on Sun May 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks Matt, I stuffed up my post the wire is 18AWG which is 1.063mm so it's on the money. ;)

I'm deciding between the Chip it and ECUTEK both have their positives and negatives. I've read and read and talked to as many people with both and am still not sure which way to go... :lol:

I've got 3k sitting there from last years tax return so it's either option:

a) dig options GPS, front air locker and on board air system...

b) chip / tune and 3" exhaust, LR tank...

c) custom steel tray...

Hmmmmmm...
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Roof top storage...

I've been wanting a tray for on top of the roof racks for a while though was waiting for the right priced one to come up. I was going to get a Rola Vortex though the bloke I was getting it from ended up selling it with the vehicle. I got talking to a bloke at a mates birthday and he told me he works in the roof rack game so after a few cans did a deal with him and scored a Rhino HD alloy roof tray with fitting kit for under $400.

It was probably a little more than I really wanted to pay for a tray though the benifits of the alloy over a powdercoated steel tray won me over. There are a lot of accessories available that make mounting a spare tyre and fuel cans a lot easier as well as light mounts etc. Some though are pretty expensive :shock:

There is some minor assembly involved though all in all was fairly pain free and took about an hour to fit.
The box comes flat packed just like IKEA... :lol:

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

The ABS plastic mounts have intergrated recesses for the extruded runners. These then have coated steel plates that secure them to the roof rack bars.
You remove the rubber strip that goes into the top chanel of the rail then fit these plastic locking cams in between the tray runners. These stop the tray from vibrating and make it more rigid...

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

The whole thing mounts with four eyebolts that can be used to secure items in the tray. All up it weighs 13kg which isn't too bad for the size 1500mm x 1010mm.

I think the size fits the roof perfectly and with the RTT mounted the whole setup is the same height. It will be great for being able to throw up a bit of wood etc while on the move rather than trying to find space in the tub.

:D
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4WD Supplies on Sun May 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Look's good and just the right height. 8-) Looks like youve got dibs on collecting the firewood for the next few trips. :P
4WD Supplies

Postby motoz on Sun May 13, 2012 1:56 pm

4WD Supplies wrote:Look's good and just the right height. 8-) Looks like youve got dibs on collecting the firewood for the next few trips. :P

Thanks Glen, pretty happy with it. I just cut up a big bag for the Border Track trip. Pre cut wood and pre cooked food... leaves more time to smash cans.
Now that's camping !!!

:lol:
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4WD Supplies on Sun May 13, 2012 2:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to it. cant wait to get the trucks working again. ;)
4WD Supplies

Postby motoz on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:18 pm

New Boots...

I managed to score a great deal on some new hoops for the Triton. My local Beaurepaiers were offering 20% off and a further 20% being the last day of the month on some family and friends deal.

The end result was 4 x Goodyear Duratrac's fitted, balanced and aligned for $1100. There a fairly aggresive looking AT tyre with side biters and a cool rim protector. They seem to be a popular choice for a lot of mining companies for use on there fleet vehicles so I thought I'd give them a go.

I decided to go back to a 32" so am running them in a 265/75x16. Although the 285's (33") look a lot better there just a hastle and really not worth the headaches on the Triton.

I gave them a real workout on the recent HC trip and was very impressed with their performance on the drive over, in the mud, rocks and gravel roads. I was running them at 38psi on the blacktop and at 24psi off road. After the 3000km trip there was no cuts or chipping. They handled all the greasy climbs and rocks well.

Click to view larger picture

:D
Last edited by motoz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jock71 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Wicked Glad you like them, I will be using mine this weekend deer hunting Cheer Jock
jock71

Postby 4WD Supplies on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 pm

They look 8-) 8-) 8-)
4WD Supplies

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Looking sweet mate. At least u got rid of the rubbing!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:35 am

Any news on the chip front Dave?
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby gregned on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 am

He says it works great.
He's on tune 15 has 600hp and not a code in sight:lol:
Oh well some people have all the luck.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby motoz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 am

Mattstruck wrote:Any news on the chip front Dave?

@ Gregned pisser LMAO !!!

Yes mate its installed. Haven't fitted the EGT module yet as I'm getting an exhaust fabricated. 3" dump pipe and 2.5" straight through mandrel bent in stainless steel. :cool:

Connected up the module. It came pre loaded with tune 5. Install was a breeze and only took about 30 min.

I went for a quick spin yesterday and I must say I'm pretty impressed. It seems to have a lot more torque from around 1800rpm. It was quite wet here yesterday so I was taking it very easy.

I loaded tune 6 just to see how the interface with the laptop worked then did another lap around the block. It went well though there seemed to be a slight flat spot around 3000rpm when it was being pushed. I've got quite a steep driveway and from a standing start under load it puffed black smoke. It did light up the rear tyres though :shock:

I switched back to tune 5 and will run with this until I install the rest of the kit. I was supplied with a billet blank for the fuel rail though I'm not keen to run with that and have arranged for a Hi spec unit to be sent.

TBH I'm not after massive figures in regards to power I'm just wanting to get back what I've lost in fitting larger rubber as well as the weight of all the bar work and mods. It seems on tune 5 I've achieved that goal and it's given it a little more.

So in summary first impressions are pretty good. Once I get the rest of the kit fitted I'll have more of a play.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Good times mate ;)

Like those Good Years. They are aggresive for an AT :shock: Whats road noise like compared with your old MTs?
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby motoz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Mattstruck wrote:Good times mate ;)

Like those Good Years. They are aggresive for an AT :shock: Whats road noise like compared with your old MTs?

There actually very quiet. I was pretty surprised. My old ATZ's had a roar about them where these have a slight hum.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stevo8 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:10 pm

motoz wrote:
Mattstruck wrote:Good times mate ;)

There actually very quiet. I was pretty surprised. My old ATZ's had a roar about them where these have a slight hum.

I'm also a fan of the Duratracs, I've done about 35000km on mine (Thanks Snooozy!!) and still plenty of tread.
Quiet on road, good on wet roads,
I'' be buying these again. Good choice Motoz enjoy ;)

Have you noticed better power/economy on the 265's after the 285??
Stevo8

Postby motoz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 pm

I have actually in regards to pickup and acceleration. As far as fuel goes mine isn't the best of the lot.

On the recent HC trip I was getting 13lt/100kms calculated at the pump. At each fuel stop I was putting in 10 more liters than Godzilla was putting into his ML.

On the whole that isn't too bad considering I've got the roof tray and RTT. Also the zero offset rims push the tyre's out and they catch a fair bit of wind.

It's funny that the 265's actually stick out just as far as the 285's did. That rim protector on the Duratrac makes for a wide tyre when it's stretched over an 8" rim.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups