Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby motoz on Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 pm

So while testing out the new trailer setup we had a jaunt through the Argadells and Merna Mora in the Southern Flinders.

Here are few happy snaps. Some great country.

Click to view larger picture

:cool:
Last edited by motoz on Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Motoz MN GLX R: Evolution of a Warrior

Postby mickkk on Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Awesome photo of your little one. Some Rosie cheeks haha. Nothing better than getting them out and about young.
mickkk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 pm

Geez that grill is a flash looking piece of gear.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby motoz on Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 pm

mickkk wrote:Awesome photo of your little one. Some Rosie cheeks haha. Nothing better than getting them out and about young.

Thanks Mick, yeah mate her first trip was at 3wks old. It's funny as we had a couple come up to our camp an introduce themselves on Sunday night. They commented that they fifth grandchild was her age and it was good to see a little one out bush. I guess it's easy for her to adapt to our lifestyle as she doesn't know any other... lol

Cowboy Dave wrote:Geez that grill is a flash looking piece of gear.

It's one of the large foldable fire pits from Snow Peak. It's a great bit of kit for cooking on. Height adjustable and packs flat.

Being a chef in a past life I'm bit of a snob when it comes to cooking gear.

;)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alian on Thu May 28, 2015 12:17 pm

We love our Snow peak, It does a great job. You do get some funny looks from some people when you whip it out though. Unfortunately they don't look like you bottom photo for too long ;) .
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby VALERIO on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Really nice place out there. Good to see the very little one camping too.
VALERIO

Postby Kuff on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Mate green with envy :mrgreen: your build is very much the way I want to go. Got my first child coming in December and want to sort the old triton out so we can do these sort of holidays. Mrs and I have always just gone skiing internationally but since we'll only be on the one income now it's going to be camping for us. Was the way I grew up and it's what I want for my boy too.

Love your build, going to be knicking a bunch of ideas.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the comments mate.

Funny you mention skiing. I devoted 10 years chasing the eternal winter with seasons in Falls Creek offset with seasons in America, Canada, France, Switzerland and Japan. Love it.

Alas one must move forward and play grown ups... lol

I haven't posted in a while as Emmen has been sitting dormant for the last 6mths due to work and family
commitments. We did go away last weekend though to Melrose in the Southern Flinders to ride some MTB trails.

After sitting there for 2mths not started the battery was flat. We sorted that then threw on the camper and drove. It was 30 degrees and he overheated spittin. all the coolant out the overflow. Transmission went into limp mode on one hill locking it in 2nd... Turning the ignition off reset that.

2nd battery shit its self with the fridge heating to 16 degrees overnight spoiling food and milk...

I know my work cycles arnt good for the batteries, the over temp issue is concerning. I'm convinced the block is one of the affected units as it has spat coolant three times now and all the factory recall had done is made it happen more often.

Plan of attack is get the block checked out and if I have no joy there I'll be stripping all the fruit off, putting back to standard and buying a Pajero.

:D
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:21 pm

you will get a replacement engine even out of warranty- especially if you did the "service campaign" as per MMA instructions.

don't matter kms or how old ;)

might have to push a bit but your covered.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

4wd26 wrote:you will get a replacement engine even out of warranty- especially if you did the "service campaign" as per MMA instructions.

don't matter kms or how old ;)

might have to push a bit but your covered.

I understand that though am a little peeved as I'm sure is everybody else.

I've been putting the feelers out though it seems that now they've only been replacing blocks, cranks and pistons of late and reusing heads and all other components.

It really is a time bomb with ALL the MN's between 2010-14 affected.

Although mine hasn't failed I will publicly state that I have lost confidence in the motor. We have planned the Gibb River and Kimberly in May though based on last weekends performance am having serious doubts...

Maybe with MMAL being an 'active' part of NTN they can step up and put something in the public domain as to how they will tackle this.

;)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:24 pm

From what I've seen Mitsubishi have been pretty good with this campaign. I mean, if your diff failed you wouldn't expect them to replace your brakes as well, yet that's what they've been doing with the long motor swaps. The move to just replacing the affected components, i.e. a short motor is, no doubt, a way of containing their costs which must be sky high already. In almost every case they've come good, even well out of warranty.

What I'm saying is that actions speak louder than words and while it might be nice to have a comforting post that tells everyone that they'll be looked after, they are actually doing that.

I hear what you're saying about having lost confidence in the engine but I'm sure you would have done the service campaign so there isn't much point in changing your life to accommodate an if, but or maybe.

Ask the question, if you want to, in their area (I doubt that they read every build thread) but don't expect anything too specific in response.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:52 pm

I appreciate your comment 5th yet you came from a V6 then went to a 3.2 Paj.

Let the 2.5 boys sook...

bwahahaahahhahaahaaha

:P
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Exactly. I saw the writing on the wall, long before it slipped down and hit the fan. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ent on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:34 pm

How are the 3.15 transfers gear working? Pity they were made out of unobtainium. What was the cost of getting them professional fitted?
Ent

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Exactly. I saw the writing on the wall, long before it slipped down and hit the fan. ;)

Well played Sir... Well played.

Ent wrote:How are the 3.15 transfers gear working? Pity they were made out of unobtainium. What was the cost of getting them professional fitted?

I will stand buy the 3.15 gears as fantastic. Standard low ratio on these things is 1.9:1.

Add bigger rubber 32 or 33 and they really do suffer in the low range department. By adding the lower transfer gears you can just use the peak torque ( especially if tuned ) under 3000RPM and just 'crawl' up things.

No need to smash n bash up ledges and run the risk of lifting a wheel and snapping CV's.

I paid a 5K getting them fitted as it was a package price with a Nomad Valve body on the auto, torque converter lockup solenoid, trans temp gauge and full synthetic oil replacement.

Have since fitted a massive transmission cooler and re routed the lines so they don't run through the radiator end tank. Trans oil temps have dropped though I did see 120 degrees last weekend while towing the camper.

;)
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ent on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi

Great to read you still like them. Now only if they reappeared....... But that appears to be a long story on the 3.15 set.

Read back over your build. Very interested in your development path. I am more a standard look type guy but great to see the envelope pushed.

I have a 2O14 Challenger manual that runs the DMS front and also an Elocker with standard factory rear diff lock. Settled on either 265 75/R16 muddies or 235 85/R16. The higher gearing is noticable. The 235 are running on Triton rims but might be a rim killer as the BFG K02 have dropped the rim protectors. I spent a fortune on an Eclipse sound and navigation system plus front speakers with replacement rears planned. Maybe a sub woofer but only if it neatly fits somewhere.

How is the DMS front performing? Mine is still low kms but all is good.
Ent

Postby motoz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Apart from re adjusting the height post springs settling the DMS has been a set and forget.

I did climb under and adjust the dampening to soft during the last HC trip I went on over a year ago. I never turned it back up again... It does roll like a boat on the ocean yet I do like the plush pillow ride.

motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kingbrown on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

motoz wrote:Apart from re adjusting the height post springs settling the DMS has been a set and forget.

I did climb under and adjust the dampening to soft during the last HC trip I went on over a year ago. I never turned it back up again... It does roll like a boat on the ocean yet I do like the plush pillow ride.

I'm surprised you've not returned to a stiffer setting.
After being forced to drive a Prado for a month, I'm still staggering around like a drunken sailor !
Very nice to be back on my own steed again.
Kingbrown
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ryan B on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi guys I just purchased the DMS front and rear adjustable suspension. It says that the fronts are set at 50mm lift. What rear spring and shackle combination dos you guys run?
I have a canopy with dual battery set up, nothing to heavy so did not want to go too heavy on the rear Spring rate if I could avoid it.
Would appreciate hearing what you guys are running.
Fingers crossed they sorted the engine dramas out for you.

Thanks

Ryan
Ryan B

Postby hvac guy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 pm

I run efs 300kg rear springs i do have about 200 kg in the rear
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ryan B on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Cheers thanks for that I am looking at the 300kg kit also.
I also have about the 200kg day to day.
Ryan B

Postby motoz on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Ryan B wrote:Hi guys I just purchased the DMS front and rear adjustable suspension. It says that the fronts are set at 50mm lift. What rear spring and shackle combination dos you guys run?
I have a canopy with dual battery set up, nothing to heavy so did not want to go too heavy on the rear Spring rate if I could avoid it.
Would appreciate hearing what you guys are running.
Fingers crossed they sorted the engine dramas out for you.

Thanks

Ryan

Cheers mate.

I'm still using the Ultimate springs and shackles to suit a 2" lift. Not 100% on the rate though they give great ride and flex.

Haven't had any need to change them.

motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ryan B on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks I have ordered my rear springs from ultimate so will be running the same package.

Very keen to get it in and test it out.
Ryan B

Postby tritonliz on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:54 pm

motoz wrote:So I've got everything installed the day before we head to Tassie. I fitted a 40lt Boab Polly water tank against the headboard. I fitted a constant pressure Sureflow inline pump. It's self priming and pressurises to 35psi.
Add 3m of retractable braided hose and we've got water on demand...

I wired up a 6 outlet switch panel to control lights, pump, 2 x 12v outlets and on board air. The SJS canopy has quite a large sweep of the rear window. As such it took a little messing around to get the drop slide running smooth.

All up I'm very happy with how it all came together. I'm sure there will be a little tweaking over the next few weeks though that's all part of the fun.

Hi I am looking at getting a Boab Tank and possibly fitting the same tap/pump system you have, was it easy to fit etc? Also do you find access easy to fill up the Boab Tank..do you fill it up much when off camping and if so how do you fill it..I always wonder if out in bush and just using a tap outside toilets somewhere how do you fill the tank..maybe a collapsible 20 litre water container with a funnel on? Maybe I am being stupid, is there an easier way?
tritonliz

Postby motoz on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:04 am

Hey Liz, yes we use the tank all the time when away.

I just fill it via a food grade hose I got from a caravan dealer. I keep a few Pope fittings and adapters so can connect to most taps. I generally keep it empty then get water and fuel at the last available opportunity. Just saves lugging an extra 50kg of water if you don't need to. Access is via the LHS window in the canopy. It really has been a set and forget system.

We only use it for general water, cooking and washing up. We prefer to just buy a 10Lt box or two of spring water for drinking. Easy to stack and use.
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups